Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:27:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686473
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: my 6mm Sci-Fi project  (Read 93623 times)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
my 6mm Sci-Fi project
« on: September 19, 2018, 05:27:44 PM »
Cheers everyone!

Just to test out my little printer (a SparkMaker - i would reccomend it for its price if you're OK with messing around with a LOT of mechanical issues, otherwise go for a fancier model!), i did sketch some simple 6mm tanks, and printed them out.
I made two chassis variations, plus one for a missile system of some kind.

That said, the print went nicely, and the result showed all the details of the original model. A bit chubbier and softer, not as good as a professional print, but at least there are no print-lines!

With a first coat with the airbrush, it's blending nicely with the rest of my forces (Ground Zero Games, mostly).

Soon i'll try to paint them up! I've got a force already painted, and I will follow the same scheme! Something like that:
[img width=600http://thelazyforger.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/DSC00650.jpg[/img]

Stay tuned, or follow the progresses on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/thelazyforger

Cheers,
Jack
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 11:27:19 PM by Sangennaru »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: 6mm Tanks
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 05:34:34 PM »
Those look quite good.  8)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 08:36:54 PM »
They have come out well

How long did it take you to draw up the first tank? I assume the variants were fairly quick after the first one was done.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 09:22:13 PM »
Those look quite good.  8)

They have come out well

How long did it take you to draw up the first tank? I assume the variants were fairly quick after the first one was done.

Thank you!

The original design took around one hour tops. The variants yeah, fairly little. The rockets maybe another 20 mins, as i wanted them to look nice. :)
It's quite a rough design, but it does its job! :)

Cheers
Jack

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 07:32:24 AM »
They look fine, very decent job indeed, I would be happy with them on my table! :)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 10:03:51 AM »
They look fine, very decent job indeed, I would be happy with them on my table! :)

Thanks!
I'm printing the rocketlaunchers today, let's see if the tiny little tips will come out well! :)

I'm still undecided whether to release the designs (with others) for free or to sell them to some company. We'll see. :)

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 10:12:10 AM »
It may be worth looking at selling them through Shapeways, assuming they pass their tests. They're small enough that they shouldn't be too expensive.

I'm not sure you'd make a huge amount, but more than you'll make if you put the designs on thingiverse :D

I also suspect you'll need a resin printer or better for those pieces, which would limit the number of people who could print them successfully.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 10:20:06 AM »
It may be worth looking at selling them through Shapeways, assuming they pass their tests. They're small enough that they shouldn't be too expensive.

I'm not sure you'd make a huge amount, but more than you'll make if you put the designs on thingiverse :D

I also suspect you'll need a resin printer or better for those pieces, which would limit the number of people who could print them successfully.

My point here exactly, selling the STL or the prints is not an option for me. I'm seriously annoyed by the large amount of low-quality 3D stuff being sold on SW and as STLs around. People are pouring money out of the hobby for this bubble, and the actual people doing the serious work (sculptors and companies) are losing income thanks to that.
I usually sell my 3Ds to companies that cast them (as i do with my physical sculpts), but I'm considering with some fellow sculptors to start a collection of ranges of free 3D models, to discourage people from buying cheap STLs in quickly cobbled together kickstarters.

Sort of a pro-bono thing, but honestly I'd rather help a bit this fragile community rather than making a few bucks out of quickly made models.

It's sort of a vague idea for now, but we're three for now and hopefully more will come. :)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 05:21:34 PM »
YAYYY! The rocket launchers are a success!

Very happy with the print! Motivated to do more.

C&C and suggestions for new parts welcome!
Jack

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 07:10:40 PM »
These are cool! I wish I could use Sketch Up well - it took me about to 4 hours to make some cube crates though!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 08:09:15 PM »
These are cool! I wish I could use Sketch Up well - it took me about to 4 hours to make some cube crates though!

It's a very easy software to begin with. Then it becomes frustrating to improve, then easy again.

Some heavy armour for the tank too:

Offline gregmita

• Librarian
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 10:38:14 PM »
These look great! I have a Sparkmaker myself and have had mixed results. What layer and speed settings do you use to get this level of detail?
This Epic scale vindicator was printed at 25um but still shows print lines.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 10:45:44 PM »
These look great! I have a Sparkmaker myself and have had mixed results. What layer and speed settings do you use to get this level of detail?
This Epic scale vindicator was printed at 25um but still shows print lines.

I'm using the Anycubic grey resin. The LCD-T isn't awesome, and the N is messy, i had some decent results with that but still.

here are the settings:

Moreover, i did replace the screw nut, swapped the LCD with the glass and replaced the FEP film.

Now it's working good! :)

Cheers
Jack

Offline gregmita

• Librarian
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 06:34:43 AM »
Thanks! I have the LCD mod but not the others. I'm going to try them.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 09:07:06 AM »
Let us know the results! :)

MEANWHILE, some heavy tanks have been printed, as well as other light ones. Notice the additional elements on the hulls, and the open door on one turret.

C&C welcome,
Cheers
Jack