Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:08:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: my 6mm Sci-Fi project  (Read 95094 times)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Re: 6mm SciFi Army
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2019, 02:51:45 PM »
Those robots are great.

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2019, 05:26:36 PM »
The akimbo figure is the "t-pose" which is the way it's sculpted. I am now only testing proportions, the proper posing will come later! And yeah, it will be far more dynamic! :D

I am ignorant of 3D sculpting. Personally I really like the infantry figures more than the giant robots but that is my preference for troops in 6mm. They really have detail at that scale. Great work.

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2019, 12:04:41 AM »
Ahhhh, those walkers are very cool indeed and look to be a good size. I like the concept art for the infantry and, if I was to go on a personal preference, the prints look a bit less chunky than the sketches..... but hey.... sci fi and all!

Great stuff.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2019, 08:44:44 AM »
Thank you all!
I will try to finish the robots in the weekend! Splitting them in parts will  complicate the assembly (there is none, right now) but will result in much cleaner surfaces!!

I am ignorant of 3D sculpting. Personally I really like the infantry figures more than the giant robots but that is my preference for troops in 6mm. They really have detail at that scale. Great work.

Ahhhh, those walkers are very cool indeed and look to be a good size. I like the concept art for the infantry and, if I was to go on a personal preference, the prints look a bit less chunky than the sketches..... but hey.... sci fi and all!

Great stuff.

Thanks!
Regarding the infantry, it will need several print iterations to get it right (even before posing), since it's a first for me. the chunkyness is required to prevent breaking them (of the first print, about 40% broke before placing it in position, and now i'm finding ways to make them more robust.

Once i've gauged the proper details scale, i'll start with variations and posing. In truth, the harder part is still to come, since i will have to "sculpt" the soft parts (skirt and other cloth) after posing. We'll see.

Updates soon!

Cheers,
Jack

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2019, 10:46:49 AM »
Your models are pure joy! I love them!

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2019, 12:05:50 PM »

Thanks!
Regarding the infantry, it will need several print iterations to get it right (even before posing), since it's a first for me. the chunkyness is required to prevent breaking them (of the first print, about 40% broke before placing it in position, and now i'm finding ways to make them more robust.

Once i've gauged the proper details scale, i'll start with variations and posing. In truth, the harder part is still to come, since i will have to "sculpt" the soft parts (skirt and other cloth) after posing. We'll see.

Updates soon!

Cheers,
Jack

That makes a lot of sense. You have both a new medium as well as new subject matter. Other than not touching during creation of the physical entity sounds just like regular art work. Thank you for taking the time to inform us. It really helps seeing into the mind involved.

ps I still love your Inktober work from a few years ago.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2019, 01:24:48 PM »
Your models are pure joy! I love them!
Thank you! I'll tell my robots!

That makes a lot of sense. You have both a new medium as well as new subject matter. Other than not touching during creation of the physical entity sounds just like regular art work. Thank you for taking the time to inform us. It really helps seeing into the mind involved.

ps I still love your Inktober work from a few years ago.
Cheers! I like to keep this thread for that precise reason, happy to be of any interest!
The inktober.... that was some fun stuff! :3

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2019, 11:14:57 PM »
New iteration of the infantry come out a bit better. The bottom half of the figure is still ways too stiff, but at least they are solid now and don't break. :D

C&C welcome!

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2019, 01:41:06 AM »
Now there is more life in the figures on the left. My thoughts were to put a connection between the legs all the way to the base and another web between the legs and the "skirt" or the between leg web and the skirt in order to strengthen things. Personally a solid web between the legs and the skirt which occupies 50% or so of the cross sectional area would be very acceptable and may be needed to cast these figures.

Assuming these are masters would you cast the "infantry" in resin or metal?

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2019, 08:10:27 AM »
I already added a block between the feet, so that they are far more stable once based!

However, my goal is not to cast them: I see people 3D print a lot, but while often they don't cast their pieces, their geometries are always simple. By aiming at people with printers, i want to make designs that have intricate enough undercuts to be impossible to cast instead. Look at these shields: these are what give the infantry their tridimensionality. And that's a huge difference and the only true advantage compared to lead!

Let's use our tools at their full! :D

Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2019, 09:36:04 PM »
First paint on the infantry. As above, most of it is still to be sculpted, but i wanted to see how the effect was at this stage. Pretty good, i'd say.

C&C welcome, do share any suggestion!

Cheers,
Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2019, 08:05:45 PM »
And I've COMPLETED the first walker bot (as in, without optional loadouts or armor!).
And - I dare to say - the result is pretty solid!

Pics below:

And i've got a gif too, which i'm not sure it'll work:

Anyways, a lot of mods will have to follow this, and possibly some other variants too. This is a great success anyways, both for the printer (i wasn't sure it could handle this) and for me.
Comments and critics are welcome, always interested in improving the line!

Cheers,
Jack

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2019, 08:43:04 PM »
They look great. Really crisp, and detailed looking, can't see any banding from the printing.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2019, 11:22:23 PM »
There are some slight banding on the bodies, and some nasty ones on the sides of the legs. But totally acceptable, IMHO. :)
A better printing would have done a better job, but all things considered i think that the latest iteration solved most of the issues!

Now trying to print some stuff in 15mm too! :)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2019, 11:35:34 PM »
Those are fantastic mate, really nice. Can’t wait to see what you do with them.

There’s not enough mecha that size for 6mm.

How are you going to base them?