Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:00:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: my 6mm Sci-Fi project  (Read 93632 times)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: my 6mm Sci-Fi project
« Reply #300 on: March 31, 2021, 06:11:55 PM »
I guess I had to take this picture too.

Cheers,
Jack

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #301 on: March 31, 2021, 07:40:38 PM »
Now THAT'S a publicity shot!

Really is a testament to 3D printing... imagine trying to make moulds for these!  :o

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #302 on: April 01, 2021, 11:02:44 AM »
Now THAT'S a publicity shot!

Really is a testament to 3D printing... imagine trying to make moulds for these!  :o

That would be mental! That's exactly the philosophy I try to follow when modelling - uncastable but not unpaintable.

Very happy how the photo ended up. I will likely take similar pictures in the future with other designs!

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #303 on: April 01, 2021, 06:48:17 PM »
The Shanty town is amazing, that's defo going on the list for next months prints.

Amazed these things can be so detailed, although recent prints for my Epic 40k project has certainly proven it possible, though this stuff is the next degree  :-*

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #304 on: April 04, 2021, 06:40:07 PM »
The Shanty town is amazing, that's defo going on the list for next months prints.

Amazed these things can be so detailed, although recent prints for my Epic 40k project has certainly proven it possible, though this stuff is the next degree  :-*

Very kind, thanks!!

Updates on troops. In this last sprint i've modelled two different units that I had drawn a while ago. Pretty happy on how they turned out!!

Infantry Bots (bigger than humanoid robots, but not huge). There's a 200% print, it looks splendidly with 15mm figures!!

And support fighter!

More pics of the latter:

Pretty happy with both, and never so close to release the whole bunch!!!

Updates soon

Jack

Offline Eliot

• Assistant
« Reply #305 on: April 04, 2021, 10:04:01 PM »
Really nice work!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #306 on: April 11, 2021, 06:10:43 PM »
Some first painted pics! Still not completed the base, but close enough:

Cheers
Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #307 on: April 14, 2021, 10:02:44 AM »
and - another BIG WIP (base not completed)

C&C welcome!

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #308 on: April 14, 2021, 11:51:22 AM »
Lovely work, every bit of it.

Really makes you wonder where this industry is going.  3D printing is bound to make existing business models just unworkable sooner or later, and the more I see work like this the more I think "sooner" is practically here already.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #309 on: April 14, 2021, 11:54:19 AM »
Stunning stuff! :-* :-* :-*

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #310 on: April 14, 2021, 12:58:57 PM »
Lovely work, every bit of it.

Really makes you wonder where this industry is going.  3D printing is bound to make existing business models just unworkable sooner or later, and the more I see work like this the more I think "sooner" is practically here already.

In a sense, it's quite a pity, since some traditional sculptors are simply incredible.
On the other hand... so be it. Those sculptors already proved to be just as talented with 3D medium, and if this allows for cooler stuff it's great.

The problem i see is in the long run. Now i've done a crab mecha, which looks cool. Nothing too original, but it has the wow factor.
In 5 years, i'm sure that many others (including people better than me) will probably do a similar thing, and people will be more and more discouraged to do more.

In traditional sculpting you have molds getting damaged, here everything is persistent. I'm not sure how further we can all go with this.

(spoiler: it could well be "forever", since people will more and more start buying the new idea just because it's new and follows a trend).

Stunning stuff! :-* :-* :-*

Cheers Andym, thanks!

• Mastermind
« Reply #311 on: April 14, 2021, 02:22:53 PM »
In a sense, it's quite a pity, since some traditional sculptors are simply incredible.
On the other hand... so be it. Those sculptors already proved to be just as talented with 3D medium, and if this allows for cooler stuff it's great.

I suspect we'll always have hand-sculpted minis on the market, but they may transition from being the norm (which they really already aren't in many ways) to being niche "prestige" items where the selling point is the fact that they weren't created with softwar.

The problem i see is in the long run. Now i've done a crab mecha, which looks cool. Nothing too original, but it has the wow factor.
In 5 years, i'm sure that many others (including people better than me) will probably do a similar thing, and people will be more and more discouraged to do more.

In traditional sculpting you have molds getting damaged, here everything is persistent. I'm not sure how further we can all go with this.

(spoiler: it could well be "forever", since people will more and more start buying the new idea just because it's new and follows a trend).

Not to detract from the originality of your work, but broadly similar mecha/walker vehicle minis have been around for decades.  They crop up in several Weird WW2 ranges, GZG has 15mm and even 25mm spider walkers, I'm pretty sure I've seen clockwork/steampunk ones, and both DP9 and Darkest Star have some anime-inspired designs as well.  The idea isn't new, but your execution of it has a new look and a very strong aesthetic.  I think as home printing and the software behind it continues to mature and become more user-friendly we'll see a steady increase in what's out there.  90% of it will probably live down to Sturgeon's Law, but that won't stop people from trying.

Seems particularly likely that we'll see a modding community arise, where people take commercial (or free) STL files and tweak them into exactly what they want, then share the files online so others can use their designs - or further tweak them.  Could be a real golden age where you can make exactly the minis you've always wanted yourself, and at home no less - but I do wonder where the existing manufacturers are going to fit into that model in years to come.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:24:26 PM by Chief Lackey Rich »

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #312 on: April 14, 2021, 03:41:09 PM »
Love the upswept wings on the fighters :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Your drawing are good as well you should produce a book of them

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #313 on: April 14, 2021, 04:13:10 PM »
Not to detract from the originality of your work, but broadly similar mecha/walker vehicle minis have been around for decades.  They crop up in several Weird WW2 ranges, GZG has 15mm and even 25mm spider walkers, I'm pretty sure I've seen clockwork/steampunk ones, and both DP9 and Darkest Star have some anime-inspired designs as well.  The idea isn't new, but your execution of it has a new look and a very strong aesthetic.  I think as home printing and the software behind it continues to mature and become more user-friendly we'll see a steady increase in what's out there.  90% of it will probably live down to Sturgeon's Law, but that won't stop people from trying.

All of the examples above, however, are physical models. More expensive and often "not worth" getting, unless you really need one for a project.
At the moment 3D sculpting is a land of the "firsts", where the first person to make a new concept usually gets it all, and all the ones that follow can only get a portion if they have a heavy social presence.
Modders are already out there, most of them adopting very dodgy phylosophies regarding other people's work, not to mention 3D models extracted from videogames. All good, but it'll even shrink the range of possible "new" things to do.

Love the upswept wings on the fighters :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Your drawing are good as well you should produce a book of them

haha, thanks Mac! :)

Cheers
Jack
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 04:16:06 PM by Sangennaru »

• Mastermind
« Reply #314 on: April 14, 2021, 06:17:50 PM »
At the moment 3D sculpting is a land of the "firsts", where the first person to make a new concept usually gets it all, and all the ones that follow can only get a portion if they have a heavy social presence.

Don't think that's true unless the subject is very, very narrowly defined.  For ex, I found this on Thingiverse with five seconds worth of searching but it doesn't change the fact you still went and made your own take on crab mechs - and ones that look better than the one at the link, I might add.  I fully expect people will continue to tackle subjects that have been done by others already, making something that makes their personal version simply because they can - just like you did.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2154192

And that's just one non-commercial site.  There are bound to be other mech STLs out there in other styles.  Which particular STL people use is going to come down to how much the artist's design appeals to that particular person. 

There's no "wrong" way to do most subjects unless you're imitating a particular IP - which as you said is pretty dodgy.  Not that that's stopped a bajillion GW knockoffs from cropping up, with varying degrees of piratical skill displayed.