Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 10:04:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685082
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: my 6mm Sci-Fi project  (Read 93271 times)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: my 6mm Sci-Fi project
« Reply #660 on: September 11, 2022, 07:12:58 AM »
Very cool.

With the damaged hanger, it feels that you are using 3d printing to produce something that would have been near impossible to  make using traditional scratch building - and certainly not something that could have been mass produced with that level of detail.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #661 on: September 12, 2022, 10:52:36 AM »
Wooow!  :-* :-*  :-*

It’s not a gaming piece but a work of art.

Very cool.

With the damaged hanger, it feels that you are using 3d printing to produce something that would have been near impossible to  make using traditional scratch building - and certainly not something that could have been mass produced with that level of detail.

Very kind! :D
And yes - I always tried to do stuff that is not castable, that gives me the edge over most of the other sculptors in this scale! :)

Soon the other versions! :)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #662 on: September 18, 2022, 03:22:20 PM »
Ssso - no miniatures updates, but we managed to finish a few fancy pages in the manual.
The lore introduction was done by the excellent Iain Ross (not a LAFer, IIRC), and the images are made with AI-generated bases and a few hours on photoshop on it.

I hope they're large enough to read the text!

Cheers, updates soon! =)

Jack

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #663 on: September 18, 2022, 04:03:07 PM »
Looking real nice to me!  :-*

Perhaps some of the art could serve as an inspiration for new terrain pieces. Post apoc world with enclaves of advanced technology kinda thinge. Or maybe ala Drop Ship Commander, the two factions descend on some God forgotten place and duke it out.

Anyway, the rule book is looking fab!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #664 on: September 20, 2022, 03:48:26 PM »
Looking real nice to me!  :-*

Perhaps some of the art could serve as an inspiration for new terrain pieces. Post apoc world with enclaves of advanced technology kinda thinge. Or maybe ala Drop Ship Commander, the two factions descend on some God forgotten place and duke it out.

Anyway, the rule book is looking fab!

Thanks Ray!

As for the art as concept - what I've realized so far about IA is that it's great at nailing a feeling or a vibe, but it really lacks content. I might have taken some  inspiration for future pieces from some generated art, but it's always very vague and the more you try to get a proper "concept" out of it the more you'll end up drawing it from scratch!
Which is personally fine, considering I do concept art for me and others! :D

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #665 on: September 22, 2022, 02:33:34 PM »
I might have taken some  inspiration for future pieces from some generated art, but it's always very vague and the more you try to get a proper "concept" out of it the more you'll end up drawing it from scratch!
Which is personally fine, considering I do concept art for me and others! :D

Well... that's why you get the big bucks right!  ;)

What I was thinking was, you have this post apoc world, with all this terrain which represents that kind of scenario. And then you have all these very cool, sophisticated and advanced mechs, tanks and stuff. The rule book art seems to show a futuristic world. So perhaps, some really stark advanced terrain or drop ships or something, could give you a bit of a transition, such that everything blends in together. Shanty town over here (representing the masses), while over here is a highly advanced grouping of something or another of the folks who are fighting it out to rule the world.

Of course, it all depends on the fluff you use as the backdrop in the rule book.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #666 on: September 23, 2022, 04:19:09 PM »
Well... that's why you get the big bucks right!  ;)

What I was thinking was, you have this post apoc world, with all this terrain which represents that kind of scenario. And then you have all these very cool, sophisticated and advanced mechs, tanks and stuff. The rule book art seems to show a futuristic world. So perhaps, some really stark advanced terrain or drop ships or something, could give you a bit of a transition, such that everything blends in together. Shanty town over here (representing the masses), while over here is a highly advanced grouping of something or another of the folks who are fighting it out to rule the world.

Of course, it all depends on the fluff you use as the backdrop in the rule book.

Oh, I see what you mean! Honestly I think I will take inspiration from the written lore that our writer did, rather than the images. But sure - it's great to have some frame to fit my models in!

Meanwhile - I brought FSD to the local CLUB and had two members playing it too! <3

Cheers
Jack

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #667 on: September 23, 2022, 04:57:35 PM »
That board is SO cool - especially the town in the sunken valley in the foreground of the board.  8)
What is the size of the board, 2' x 3' or even smaller?
John

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #668 on: September 23, 2022, 05:54:57 PM »
It's 2x3, correct! But the perspective makes it look a bit too small indeed! :P

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #669 on: September 23, 2022, 09:10:20 PM »
Getting back to models - a quick quick preview of what's to come:

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #670 on: September 24, 2022, 08:44:11 AM »
That IS a beauty! Complements the one with crates nicely.  8)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #671 on: September 24, 2022, 03:11:17 PM »
Oh, I see what you mean! Honestly I think I will take inspiration from the written lore that our writer did, rather than the images. But sure - it's great to have some frame to fit my models in!

I think having both tie together is important - people will see the images far more times than they will read the lore.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #672 on: September 26, 2022, 03:14:42 PM »
I think having both tie together is important - people will see the images far more times than they will read the lore.

Fair point! :)

That IS a beauty! Complements the one with crates nicely.  8)

Thanks!
Plus, floors and roofs are separate parts - so the combinations are many!

Meanwhile, playing a bit with pipes:

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #673 on: October 04, 2022, 03:01:50 PM »
...and more pipes!

Sketching down stuff - even the most trivial - helps immensely with the process of synthesis:

And, after one iteration of thickness tests, here's the first result.
I think I'll add a couple of barrels or small details here and there, but it's basically done. :)

Here with some of the rest of the modular piping just to close the open sockets!

Cheers,
Jack
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 05:27:45 PM by Sangennaru »

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #674 on: October 06, 2022, 05:27:30 PM »
...and more!

All the terminations are done, in fact most of the parts are finished for the piping. Time to move to something...bigger.