Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:37:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Deskchairs  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Chrismck

• Bookworm
Deskchairs
« on: June 06, 2022, 06:54:44 PM »
I am looking for some recommendations for a desk chair for my desk. Currently using a fold up chair with a cushion from ikea and my spine is not thanking me >:( any recommendations from you fine folk would be greatly appreciated!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Deskchairs
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 08:38:44 PM »
I have my desk higher than a normal one and use an adjustable height swivel bar stool with a medium height back. Works for me and my arthritis  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 08:51:02 PM »
I have one of these and it’s fantastic…..bit pricey, but as everything else, you get what you pay for. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XC1JP17/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I find it ideal as a desk chair.  It is supremely comfortable.  The mesh back keeps you cool in summer, the lumbar support is excellent, arms are individually adjustable, it’s obviously height adjustable, and it has a decent spring loaded tilt mechanism.  It’s the best desk chair I’ve owned or used. 

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 10:11:50 PM »
I don’t have one quite that’s quite as fancy (or expensive as Sunburst) but have something similar from Ikea. If you have an Ikea nearby worth a visit as you can try out their different options (and prices). But with desk chairs you do seem to get value from more expensive options.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 07:21:09 AM »
I’m also using the IKEA version and very satisfactory it is.  I think I’d avoid internet purchases for this item of furniture, you really want to be able to try the chair out and make sure your individual back is comfortable in it.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 09:26:44 AM »
When I moved shop downstairs, and I was paying through the nose for cabinets, desk, storage solutions, lights etc, I also splurged on a nice gaming chair, since my desk is usable on two heights. Higher than usual for painting/hobbying and, when the keyboard tray is rolled out, a bit lower for computer work.

The first chair, while not cheap in my eyes, was a complete dud and after just a week of use, the adjustable, spring-loaded, backrest completely gave in and flipped all the way back beyond horizontal with me on it. Much to my wife's amusement I might add... ::)

So when I got refunded, I did some more due diligence and eventually ended up paying double that amount for a (semi-)professional chair. Less features/gimmicks, but built like a bunker, and this has served me well for over a year now.

It really was not cheap, but I figured that if I were to sit in it for days on end (during lockdown it was also my workplace), I better have a very good chair to sink my butt onto, and I haven't been disappointed yet.
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 09:31:23 AM »
I use a kneeling chair for painting - seems to help

Mike
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline Chrismck

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 11:57:35 AM »
I use a kneeling chair for painting - seems to help

Mike

I had never seen a kneeling chair before this comment. That is an interesting concept but I can see how that would work!

Offline _Si_

• Bookworm
    • BlokeCrafted
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 05:44:47 PM »
I work from home and my office desk is about four foot from my hobby table, so I use the same chair for both. I needed something comfortable enough to manage 8 hour stretches, so I ended up going with a gaming chair, specifically a Hero from Noble Chairs.

My issues (aching legs and sore posterior) have gone away over the last two years I've been using it. They're huge, not always pretty and take some getting used to (it's very firm compared to an 'operator chair'). But they're very adjustable and I can sit in it for hours and not ache, so I'm willing to say it's a win.

If you're feeling flush the herman miller chairs are supposed to be the best you can buy, but in lieu of that I'm very happy with mine. Oh and my chiro recommends them to home workers these days too.

My missus has a couple of herniated discs that give her repeated problems, but she has nothing but good things to say about her Secret Labs Omega too.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2022, 06:10:05 PM »
Imagine that; I've got the Noblechairs Epic, Java Edition myself...   8)

Offline SpaceCudet

• Assistant
    • MappingBoard
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2022, 04:12:11 PM »
Many years ago I 'inherited' a Herman Miller chair at work that a senior manager didn't want and it was the most comfortable thing I've ever sat on.

It had a tiny, easily repairable, split on the edge of the seat. When I was away on holiday someone borrowed the chair and cut their hand on the sharp edge and the office manager skipped it - I was gutted.

At home we now have HumanScale chairs which are about half the price and nearly as comfortable. A colleague got a refurbished one for under half RRP. 

Offline Chrismck

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2022, 10:15:54 AM »
Herman Miller chairs are snazzy! But waaaaay out of my price range. The ikea one looks like it to be the business that I'm looking for and is more within my price range. Also quite like the gaming chairs but again they are expensive. I guess I have to work out what price I am willing to pay for my butt/spine  lol