Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:31:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: On The Day, Went The Eagle's Landing Well?  (Read 37498 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: On The Day, Went The Eagle's Landing Well?
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2018, 01:00:05 PM »
Brilliant job.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2018, 01:01:58 PM »
It’s getting better and better. You’re turning into something of a LAF super-star😀

Doug

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2018, 02:17:19 PM »
Most excellent.

Clever idea and a nice conversion

Brilliant job.

It’s getting better and better.

Lon, gamer Mac, Ultravanillasmurf and Doug, thank you all for your very kind comments, glad you like the MPU, it will be in action in November in our big game.

Pasties and cider - alright, I join the guard! Where do I have to sign?

Michi, no need to sign anything. Anybody who likes Oggies and Scrumpy deserves a shot at glory! I hearby appoint you an Honorary Member of the Much-Piddling Home Guard (motto: TARDA ET SENEX DICTUS).

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2018, 05:20:22 PM »
Not for the first time, you have me reaching for Google translate....😀

Doug

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2018, 06:39:01 AM »
I hearby appoint you an Honorary Member of the Much-Piddling Home Guard (motto: TARDA ET SENEX DICTUS).

I feel knighted now! Thank you M'lord There is an urge to contribute an appropriate miniature of me, I guess...  lol

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2018, 07:44:50 AM »
There is an urge to contribute an appropriate miniature of me, I guess...

Michi, if you would like to post me an appropriate miniature to represent you as a Home Guard in the game on November 23rd, I will certainly post him back to you after the game (no doubt covered in glory and medals).

If not, I'm happy to rename this miniature, Private Michi to represent you in the game! Let me know what you think?  :)

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2018, 07:46:28 AM »
Not for the first time, you have me reaching for Google translate....😀

Doug

Did you like the Home Guard motto?   ;)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2018, 10:45:38 AM »
If not, I'm happy to rename this miniature, Private Michi to represent you in the game! Let me know what you think?  :)

Due to the lack of British forces in my stash, I would be very happy to have him to represent me on your table. The similarity is perfectly striking!

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2018, 02:09:57 PM »
The similarity is perfectly striking!

I see what you mean and a rather striking portrait, if I may say so, sir!

Private Michi will report for duty then.

...and without further ado, the concluding chapter which puts everybody in their places for the commencement of action on the big day...

Chapter 6: Betty Slocombe Warms Her Pussy

“I’m covered in it!” announced Madeline Bassett in a rather sniffy tone. “What?” enquired ‘Stiffy’ Pinker. “Ordure, what do you think?” replied Madeline, a blush coming to her cheeks, not the sort of words a young lady was used to uttering, in private or public. “What?” repeated ‘Stiffy’ in a sharp tone. “You know,” began Madeline “feculence, egesta, do I have to spell it out for you?”. “Ah, pig poop, you mean, dear?” speculated ‘Stiffy’. “Yes, that’s it, not the sort of thing one encounters much at Totleigh Towers, Daddy simply wouldn’t stand for it,” pronounced Madeline. “Not much of a pig man, Sir Watkyn then, eh?” asked ‘Stiffy’.

It was the girl’s first day on the farm. What with the war and all that, they’d thought it rather a lark to join the Women’s Land Army. “Bit of a hoot, what!” Honoria Glossop had opined at the time. Having persuaded Madeline and ‘Stiffy’ to ‘do their bit’ and Honoria having already talked Lady Florence Craye and ‘Bobbie’ Wickham into volunteering, the girls had been outfitted and posted to Cold Comfort Farm in the parish of Much-Piddling. So far, Madeline thought, the farm was living up to its name.

Amos Starkadder had met them by the farm gate with the words “Ye’re all damned!” and it certainly looked that way to Madeline. Amos was a preacher at the Church of the Quivering Brethren in Loose-Chippings and believed in brimstone and hellfire. Madeline was beginning to miss the company of Gussie Finknottle and if one began to miss his company, then one was halfway up the Rannygazoo without a paddle!

Meanwhile, in Much-Piddling village itself, Dame Edith FitzPilchard was beginning to wish she hadn’t agreed to Bertram Snapcase’s appeal for help. With the visit of Prince Phillip and his entourage to Snapcase Hall, Bertram had wanted his ward, young Verity ‘Peaches’ Snapcase out of the way. Her mother and father had disappeared up the Limpopo some years previously (Bertram suspected it was to get away from ‘Peaches’) and Snapcase Hall seemed to be the only home for her. However, she was proving something of a trial, already expelled from St. Trinians, a rather progressive private school located just outside Steeple Bumpleigh, ‘Peaches’ was a somewhat unnerving presence around the Hall with her catapult. Dame Edith had acquiesced to Bertram’s request for help and had taken ‘Peaches’ with her to the village hall where ARP Chief Warden William Hodges was giving a lecture about ‘how to shout put that bloody light out’ as Bertram, Hodges nemesis, had referred to it.

The Much-Piddling Women’s Institute were slated to give a lecture on making jam after Hodges talk and Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Jennifer Rachel Abergavenny Slocombe, known as Betty to her friends, was worrying. “The central heating broke down last night, I had to light the oven and hold my pussy in front of it!” she’d told her friend and fellow WI member, Miss Shirley Brahms.

Not much has been said of the Black Shorts and the mysterious 5th Column yet. They lurk in the shadows, probably the best place for people of that ilk. Suffice to say, Spode was heading for Much-Piddling having seen nothing of the promised Luftwaffe at RAF Winkleigh. Skorzeny and chums were in hiding at the old mill awaiting Prien and his crew.

And so, dear reader we leave the aforementioned dramatis personae who are now assembled to play their part in the momentous day that went down in history as “On The Day, Went The Eagle’s Landing Well?”

Friday 23rd November will see the dénouement to this thrilling tale of everyday country folk. Till then…adieu.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2018, 08:02:27 PM »
Blimy , if that’s the  Land Girls aboard that trolley, I,d like to see them hard at work in my Milking Shed . 😃

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2018, 08:45:58 PM »
she was proving something of a trial, already expelled from St. Trinians, a rather progressive private school located just outside Steeple Bumpleigh,

That's a worrying achievement, I have been wondering if the St Trinian's mob will turn up in a universal carrier, like they did in The Pure Hell of St Trinian's .

*oops, edited to get the right film.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 08:48:41 PM by voltan »
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2018, 12:27:45 AM »
Terrific and top notch as always. 👍

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2018, 05:38:31 PM »
To my shame I've only just come across this thread. Cracking stuff! I remember enquiring on Frothers many moons ago if anyone had ever had a go at wargaming "Went the Day Well". Glad someone has really run with the film's setting and combined so many elements!
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2018, 07:30:51 AM »
Blimey, if that’s the Land Girls aboard that trolley, I'd like to see them hard at work in my Milking Shed.

;)

I have been wondering if the St Trinian's mob will turn up in a universal carrier, like they did in The Pure Hell of St Trinian's.

That is a great idea, voltan. I haven't got time to paint one now before the game but definitely for next time!   lol

Terrific and top notch as always.

Cheers, SABOT, appreciate that, thanks.

Glad someone has really run with the film's setting and combined so many elements!

Thanks, Onebigriver. 'Went the Day Well?' is indeed the original inspiration but then it spiralled out of control with Dad's Army and P.G. Wodehouse. Glad you like it.   :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 07:35:58 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »