Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:42:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Warehouse (revived, 9 June)  (Read 10921 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
28mm Warehouse (revived, 9 June)
« on: May 26, 2009, 06:38:12 AM »

Larger version and more notes on Flickr.

In a box I hadn't opened for a couple of years, I found two long sheets of vac-formed plastic stone sheets and decided to do something interesting with them. I figured out the largest building I could build with the two sheets I had, and this is it.

The warehouse is 10 inches long, 7 wide, and about 4 high. Two big freight doors on one wall, with an office and another door in one corner. The floor will be raised, and the roof removable. (For scale, those are Reaper paint bottles in the top photo holding the walls up.)

The structure is all matt board, on sale at the local art supply store a few weeks ago.

You can see the relief of the stonework nicely in the last photo.

The floor is a texture from one of those free-texture sites out on the web, printed and glued to matt board.

The roof is on the top right in the 2nd and 3rd photos; it's got a hatch for access from inside the inside and a large skylight - because intruders crashing through a skylight is such a pulpish trope, and I wanted a chance for that in our future games!

Still to do: doorframes on all three doors. framing on the skylight, paint on the roof, then assembly of the whole beast. There's some trimming to do before assembly too.

After it's together I'll need to make some stonework bits from styrene or thin card to finish the corners and add arches over those big doors. Given that I have too much free time right now, it should be mostly finished in a day or two!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:37:44 AM by Wirelizard »

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
Re: 28mm Warehouse (WiP photos)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 08:01:10 AM »
That looks really promising , can't wait to see it finished .

Online uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 09:39:47 AM »
Very nice. I produced something similar myself a couple of year ago, but this looks much better than my efforts!

Let us know how it comes along.
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 10:34:21 AM »
Really nice :-*
Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 11:37:22 AM »
Forgot to add to the original post: there will be a loading dock outside the two big freight doors as well; I just built the top deck of it from wood and I'll figure out legs for it tomorrow.

The loading dock will be a seperate unit, so it can be used on it's own as a freestanding transfer dock or against the building - or trucks can back right up to the building without the dock there.

Framing is done on the skylight, and I built two rough wooden walkways to go across the roof from the access hatch down one side of the skylight. (Given that we stand and look down at our tables most of the time, making the roof look interesting makes sense to me!)

I also used some offcuts of matt board and the plastic stone sheet to create a couple of low walls. They're too short to use as security walls around a property, but they'll look great in a park or alongside a house.

The company that makes the stone sheet was "Holgate & Reynolds", who apparently went out of business sometime in the 1990s. We had a family model railroad for about four years in the mid/early 1990s, and I strongly suspect these sheets are leftovers. Ten+ years is long enough to haul them around without using them, I think...

Does anyone else have the bad habit of getting something unique, saying you'll save it for a special project, and then never actually having the nerve to use it? I'm trying to break myself of the habit - really cool scratchbuilding supplies aren't actually really cool unless they're used for actual scratchbuilding, right?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 11:39:04 AM by Wirelizard »

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:47:45 AM »

Does anyone else have the bad habit of getting something unique, saying you'll save it for a special project, and then never actually having the nerve to use it? I'm trying to break myself of the habit - really cool scratchbuilding supplies aren't actually really cool unless they're used for actual scratchbuilding, right?

I dont recall you ever being in my attic ;D

warehouse is looking good too. That sheeting is very nice, I have a projrct in mind that would have been perfect for ::)
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 12:47:39 PM »
Good'n. Once finished I will move this to 'How to...'

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 06:24:29 PM »
Looking good!
And I know what you mean about hoarding building supplies for that "special project", but never getting around to doing it because you're afraid that one wrong cut will render the carefully hoarded resource useless! Like you, I've been trying to get myself out of the habit - and your warehouse is good inspiration for that so far!
Looking forward to seeing this develop.
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline duhamel

• Mastermind
  • voyageur
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 06:32:18 PM »
the very good model  :-* Deeply the continuation(suite)
“Le courage consiste à avoir peur mais à continuer tout de même.”

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" The courage consists in being afraid but in continuing all the same. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 07:54:19 AM »
Didn't get as much done today as I'd hoped. Still, the roof is basecoated, the top deck of the loading dock is built, the roofwalks are painted, and the floor has bracing added to the underside, which will make assembly of the whole building tomorrow easier.

Assembly tomorrow, then finishing - trim and paint - later in the week.

No new photos today, sorry.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 12:16:12 AM »
My God, it actually fits together!  :D

Got the outside walls and floor glued up this afternoon; the roof fits in place and everything! The interior office walls will go in this evening, along with a bunch more bracing under the floor to help make it gamer-proof.

Then it's onto trim, building doors, and painting!

I'll get a picture sometime this evening and add it to this post.

Edit to add PHOTOS, sooner than this evening, even!  :)

Scale provided by my kitbash/semi-scratchbuild Model T truck (from CompanyB's excellent kits) and a German from FreiKorp Basekoten:) (a Great War Miniatures Late WW1 German, who arrived far too late for LPL3's 1st Round and now lurks with his mates on my painting desk...)

The skylight is covered in tape to mask off the clear plastic window while I finish the roof.

Still to do: gluing in the office walls inside; exterior trim on the doors & corners; the loading dock outside the big freight doors; paint for the walls and roof.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 12:56:08 AM by Wirelizard »

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 28mm Warehouse (more WiP photos, 27 May!)
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 03:36:12 AM »
Looking pretty nice so far...nice to see the warehouse up a bit higher for loading!!
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 08:00:22 AM »
thath stone wall... is it a printed one or did you buy it from some model shop? :)
great work again! :)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 05:56:32 PM »
thath stone wall... is it a printed one or did you buy it from some model shop? :)
great work again! :)

It's vacumn-formed (molded) plastic sheet, from a model shop years ago.

From my earlier post:
The company that makes the stone sheet was "Holgate & Reynolds", who apparently went out of business sometime in the 1990s. We had a family model railroad for about four years in the mid/early 1990s, and I strongly suspect these sheets are leftovers. Ten+ years is long enough to haul them around without using them, I think...

I've gotten the project to that irritating "80% done but still lots to finish" stage. Two of the three doorways are framed in, there's trim along the very tops of the outside walls, the loading dock is mostly finished and partly painted, and I've started building the actual freight doors.

No new pictures, sorry. Not much to see in a photo anyway.

I'm not sure what to do with the doors. Anyone got a simple, strong method of doing hinges? I don't want to have the big freight doors glued shut, so I'm going to make them simply removable for now, until I figure out some sort of hinge-building trick that'll stand up to use...

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 06:46:22 PM »

I'm not sure what to do with the doors. Anyone got a simple, strong method of doing hinges?

I used a bar hinge on my Shopping Mall.

Drill a hole in the base board, and use a piece of hard wire as the hinge, just make sure you only glue it onto the door, and don't allow the glue to run into the hole.... :D