Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:20:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690991
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Warehouse (revived, 9 June)  (Read 10922 times)

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
Re: 28mm Warehouse (more WiP photos, 27 May!)
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 07:31:16 PM »
Looks really good! You did a great job matching up the plastic stonework on the corners I've had trouble doing that! Looks like Akula and Silent invader have covered  the only hinge techniques I know of ! I'll be using the brass doll house hinges just because I have a jar full of them ,I get two of them off everyone of those wooden craft boxes I use for my buildings. You have camoflage them a bit as they are out of scale,but they should take a lot of wear and tear, Micheals carry the craft boxes and seperate hinges as does Dollar giant. looking forward to seeing the finished product

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Re: 28mm Warehouse (more WiP photos, 27 May!)
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 05:47:26 AM »
Well, the roof is finally finished - just took the masking tape off the skylight, and it looks excellent!

Gravel, a roof hatch and two wooden walkways (plus about six layers of paint, as I fiddled with how to finish the damn thing) complete the roof; the inside ceiling needs a bit of touchup but that'll wait.

Trim and doors still to do, probably not until next week as Real Life kind of landed on me in a major way this week!

Quick photo of the roof tomorrow in daylight, just to keep you all interested!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Re: 28mm Warehouse (new photo, 5 June!)
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 12:23:28 AM »

Larger version and more notes on Flickr (link).

Got the roof finished last night, finally. Gravel over parts of it, much paint, got the roof walks glued down and took the masking tape off the skylight.

The same member of FreiKorp Basekoted provides scale. His fully-painted mates will probably be in Round 7 of the LPL3 next week.

The inside of the roof needs some touchup paint, but the outside is entirely done!

The top deck of the loading dock and the ramp are laid out beside the freight doors, but still lack legs and such to bring them up to the height of the door sills.

Real Life has landed on me solidly the last week or so and for at least the first half of next week, so the outside trim, doors and painting will have to wait a bit. There is some progress, though!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 12:25:08 AM by Wirelizard »

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 12:44:19 AM »
Very nice, it looks to be coming along very nicely. I like the sky light you've done.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 01:41:35 AM »
Excellent! Super sky-light; are you tempted to add lighting now that you have such excellent windows?
I can imagine rocket-pack clad heros or villains flying outta there!

Thomas
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 07:50:45 AM »
Lighting is tempting, but impractical... I'll have to stick with just the skylight for now!

The ceiling is finally painted, I did the door framing this evening, and tomorrow evening's project will be the two big freight doors. I'll probably do them out of two or three layers of either cardstock or styrene, to get the look I want. I'll have to see about hinges - for now I'm just going to do the doors freestanding, with a scrap of clear plastic as a base.

Aside from the doors, the only major bit of construction left to do is the legs/foundation for the loading dock and ramp that'll go outside the main freight doors.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 09:37:13 AM »
Right, two full years after I last touched it, progress has resumed on actually finishing this damn warehouse!

When we last saw this project, it looked like this:

Warehouse Roof WiP by WireLizard, on Flickr

...and for the last two freakin' years, that's how it stayed. I moved twice, finished a lot of other scenery and painted lots of figures, and this warehouse sat there getting dusty. So last week I blew the dust off, pulled out the shiny new cutting mat I'd finally bought myself and started cutting card to finish the corners of the building with.

The corners now have proper cornerstones, the outside freight ramp/loading dock has been re-cut from foamcore and mattboard, all three doorways are now fully framed. I'll have the freight dock assembled tomorrow, hopefully, then start working on the actual doors. I'm going to do simple post hinges for the main freight doors, might just glue the office door in place.

Updated progress photos, now that there is progress, in the next day or so!

Two years on hiatus... is there a Necromancer's Prize for "Oldest Thread Raised From the Dead"?

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: 28mm Warehouse (revived, 9 June)
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 09:57:30 AM »
...... and just in time for Sarissa to release a bigger one...................   8)
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 01:32:39 PM »
This thread is useless without (new) photos!  lol

Actually, congratulations for actually girding up and revisiting an old project to finish it. I am looking forward to snaps of the warehouse in its completed glory.
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 04:49:05 PM »
The best projects sometimes need a good sleep between steps. Glad to see this one is awake and ready for completion!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 05:42:20 AM »
This thread is useless without (new) photos!  lol

Here's a late night low quality image, but it does show the installed but unpainted cornerstones and the in-progress loading dock.

The original loading dock was going to be wood; this one will be painted as concrete instead. Might get the basic shapes for the two big doors cut this evening too, maybe.

A pair of Pulp Figure 28mm figures for scale.

Offline The Breaker

• Scientist
  • Enjoyably annoying
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 05:59:59 AM »
Good on you for restarting this project it looks like it'll be a cracker!
"We shot them under rule 303"

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 08:54:58 AM »

Loading dock fully assembled, ramp on one end and stairs on the other. The whole thing is a foamcore deck and mattboard around the side; the stairs are mattboard.

The loading dock is about 9" long overall; the actual deck part about 7" (not counting the ramp and stairs); width is 2".

A pair of random Pulp Figures British from the lineup of painted figure I haven't stored yet for scale.