Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:14:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691129
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Having a family member sculpted as a miniature. Yes or No?  (Read 3830 times)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Re: Having a family member sculpted as a miniature. Yes or No?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 07:49:16 AM »
Suber, thats the idea ! I have got a head ,sculpted looking like me and I stick it on different models . I like it a lot!

or

In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 08:59:48 AM »
No clue why anyone would say no - have often considered getting a 'mini-me' sculpted :)
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 04:53:54 PM »
Well this seems to have killed off the project. Only eight replies since I started the thread and its 3-5 against.
It's odd because I've gotten enquiries every other week and make on average eight private head commissions a year in cluding forum members.So its not as if its un heard of.

I'm tempted to throw this open to the members. If I've not enough takers by the end of the month.

Mark.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2018, 06:32:31 PM »
I can't see why people would say no either.  Given we do this hobby for fun and the offer is free why not? I like the idea of appearing as a character in one of our Mordheim or Post Apoc games.

Although having a figure of the wife made could lead to much strife depending on the skill of the sculptor!   "Yes darling, but that is what is meant by 28mm "heroic" style, all the proportions are enlarged and more pronounced than in reality"

Offline Broonkah

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2018, 07:06:31 PM »
In reference to the title of the post.  I would love a mini of my father who passed away 6 years ago.  He did not participate in my hobby, but like a good father would listen to me ramble on and on about it.

A mini of me ?  I would find amusing.  But a pile of heads that look like mine...  I could start my own clone army.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2018, 07:35:33 PM »
I had my mom sculpted recently. It’s the perfect representation of her.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Wildman II

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2018, 09:06:46 PM »
I wouldn't actively seek it out, but I would be flattered if someone offered. Would we get a choice of when in our life it would be?  I would prefer when I was in my twenties instead of now. Now I'd look like a dwarf without the beard. If it could be another family member, I would love a figure of my grandfather. He served in the artillery in WWI.               

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2018, 09:12:44 PM »
Would we get a choice of when in our life it would be?             

I was pretty glad that Lead Adventure Miniatures picked the time I scored a double-century and took twenty wickets to win England the Ashes, the week after I had scored the winning goal when Wales won the FIFA World Cup. It was lovely that they chose that point in my life, especially seeing as it never actually happened outside of my head.

(It is a bit weird when I keep seeing that figure cropping up in other peoples' collections on LAF, though. I think, "Hey! That's me!")

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 07:30:26 AM »
 lol There'd be an awful lot of Home guard If I said No.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2018, 03:47:19 PM »
Mate, I'd completely forgotten you'd sculpted my nan!  :D

Online dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2018, 05:15:08 PM »
Back in 2013 I set up a game based on the film (movie) "Them!"  For it I made figures of our small wargaming group using suitable figures, head swops and milliput.  Some needed less work than others. 
Unfortunately on our first outing 4 of the 5 figures were casualties of the giant ants. 

At another show I watched a game being played of an action in which I was participant of the real event.  In I saw the little toy "me" killed.  That was an odd feeling!

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2018, 06:54:26 PM »
Dadlassu,

Know that one. It's even weirder when they try and tell you what happened.and  you know it's total bollocks . ::)

JP. Ive had the casting of your nan on my desk for an age.Lost everyone's details when the ipad went into brick mode.  Then Outlook refuses to let me in on anything else.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2018, 08:22:43 PM »
Will send a PM mate :)

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2018, 01:48:57 PM »

Sculpt me, tin shed, sculpt me! (To be honest a ball bearing with facial features would probably sort the head right out, darnit)

But yes, ideally I would like a wee zombie apoc representation of myself one day. I tried it once with my then girlfriend only for both of us to get eaten and that too felt weird.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2018, 10:57:53 PM »
While I was very flattered to be asked, I was one of the 'thanks but no thanks' guys.

I don't visualise myself in any of my games and while I have worn uniform, it seems a tad ''Walter Mitty' or 'John Wayne', to have myself performing heroic feats on-table that I haven't done and probably wouldn't have done, in real life.   

Even if I didn't think that way, I don't game 'my era' in any case. I do personalise my miniature heroes, but I don't fantasise that I am them.

Rightly or wrongly I presumed Mark was going for the Interwar/WW2 theme, which my family were either too young or old to take part in, although I did have a grandfather who was in the Home Guard (reserved occupation); but I have no photos of him.

If we were talking Palestine, Korea, Malaya and Cyprus Post-War, then I had family galore in the Army and Navy across that time period.