Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:34:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [KICKSTARTER] Hagglethorn Hollow  (Read 7605 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: [KICKSTARTER] Hagglethorn Hollow
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2021, 06:49:53 PM »
Well here you go folks, hopefully that answers more questions than it raises.

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/04/23/hagglethorn-hollow-arrives-sort-of/

More tomorrow as we received emails to say two more boxes are scheduled for tomorrow.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2021, 11:33:50 PM »
Good review of your pieces.  I think the glossy mid brown woodstain wash is awful, as you say it mutes all the colours together and does not show the detail to benefit. Hopefully a coat of matt will bring some of the definition back.
At least with a coat that thick the surface should be protected against bumps and scratches  :?

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2021, 12:34:30 PM »
I hope so too Robh.

Our second delivery arrived. First impressions whilst unboxing is that these pieces tend to look better than the ones in the first two boxes. I still feel they will all require a good bit of work to look the way I want them but Mrs. GG is more satisfied with them than me.

I am thinking of experimenting with changing the roof tile colors on some buildings, especially if we can get some duplicates.

As for the overall colors I definitely want to try to better match the DF pieces but Mrs. GG thinks we should not go too far from the original factory paint colors... so further debate will likely occur and depend on whether we can get some duplicates to experiment on.

I will try to do a second blog entry with photos of the additional pieces later today.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2021, 04:54:10 PM »
Part 2 of my review, with the remaining pieces that arrived today.

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/04/24/hagglethorn-hollow-part-2/

Offline Dark choda

• Bookworm
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2021, 06:32:05 PM »
Thank you for this.  It looks great!  I remember smushing my face in my hands trying to weigh the pros and the cons of getting in on this project.  I ultimately decided not to, but I've been curious ever since.  I agree that the colours do look muted but as I remember, the price difference for bare vs painted was not very much so i didnt expect a lot from the paint jobs.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2021, 07:15:01 PM »
The prices are not wildly different. You can see in particular with the add ons.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/troubadour/hagglethorn-hollow/description

One of the most surprising thing in hindsight is how little we paid for postage. No customs tax, no handling fees and Tabletop Troubadour paid the VAT. Postage for the all in for the EU was only 100 dollars.

I have no idea how TT made any significant profit on this project to be honest.

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2021, 06:16:09 AM »
They probably lost money, I think failure to factor in proper shipping has been a downfall of many Kickstarter projects. Thanks for the review, I almost backed this one.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2021, 11:56:43 AM »
Probably worth mentioning that these will also be available digitally as 3d printable files in a later Kickstarter campaign.

That would be interesting. Didn't care for the pieces as presented ( great idea & style but the execution looked a bit "cramped" ) but the Grumpy Gnome's review - thanks mate, for the up-close in-depth photo's - on page 3 did change my mind, really like them. Don't want to pay lots of P&P + VAT for heavy resin, don't want prepaints so stl-files would be a blessing ).
Will be following this...  :)
Leadhead

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2021, 12:39:35 PM »
Always happy to help. In a suitably grumpy, Gnomish way of course.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2021, 05:08:42 PM »
It was a fun read  ;).

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2021, 06:44:57 AM »
I really look forward to hearing the opinions of others as they get their HH and seeing how the paint it, if they do.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2021, 01:27:39 PM »
My unpainted Wizarding District pledge set arrived today. 

The resin quality is excellent and very clean. Overall casting is good, there are some obvious mould join lines, especially on the wizard hut, (on which the sub assembly branch tips are all glued on misaligned). I have a  few air holes on the tips of some of the roof shingles and a couple of the rope door pulls but nothing major and no shipping damage.
The sundial and statues set I was sent is painted rather than the unpainted one supposedly in my pledge but the wash used is very thin and matt so no problem for a repaint.

The sheer bulk of the things is daunting as a painting task, although the sizes were given in the KS the physical lumps still managed to surprise me (28mm figure for scale at the front of the picture). My intention is to paint them grey stone with coloured roofs and details for Cadwallon, although at the price (and storage space requirement) they will also have to work their way into my Labyrinth, Moonstone and Sellswords games as well. The enhanced Citadel card buildings and other resin scenery I use currently look puny in comparison.
Although the KS campaign was very poorly run and badly delayed, the buildings delivered are certainly worth the hassle and expense (and mountain of cardboard and polystyrene packing I now have to dispose of).

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2021, 04:14:05 PM »
Wasn't super impressed with the painted buildings (though full respect to people who do like them, mileage may wary and all that) but these unpainted shots give me a twinge of regret at not backing this way back when.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2021, 08:07:58 PM »
Wasn't super impressed with the painted buildings (though full respect to people who do like them, mileage may wary and all that) but these unpainted shots give me a twinge of regret at not backing this way back when.

Feel the same way.  The prepainted ones looked pretty easy to work up into something more visually impressive, though - but having to do a bunch of minor sculpting and a ton of detail painting, highlighting, and washes rather defeats the purpose of paying for factory paint jobs.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2021, 08:48:25 AM »
That is a great photo Robh, it really gives a different perspective to the HH we have.

Glad to hear you avoided the production quality issues others have complained about. We were fortunate to have avoided the worst of it as well from what some folks have been reporting.

More videos of Hagglethorn Hollow are up on YouTube to help people decide if the terrain is for them.

and

JFA and Ike of Tabletop Troubadour are still not communicating with backers as much as I would like and UK backers have still not gotten their pledges fulfilled. This is very disappointing.