Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 02:25:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692915
  • Total Topics: 118494
  • Online Today: 555
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Brummies 15mm Sci Fi - Old crow -Xi'An Force  (Read 38502 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: Brummies 15mm Sci Fi - Invasive Species...
« Reply #240 on: August 23, 2021, 09:56:23 PM »
Where did your alien tufts come from? I've found a way to source them in the states, but lordy that is a long process! I think that https://hugeminis.com/ started to make some alien-colored tufts but they aren't quite the right shades for my tastes. Yours look nice and bright, so maybe they came from somewhere I haven't looked yet.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #241 on: August 24, 2021, 11:54:21 AM »
Sorry chaps, wasn't paying attention.

Both items are from Etsy:

The Plants are 3D prints are called Venomous Flowers but I still haven't found who made them originally. There were loads of people in the U.K selling them during the 1st-2nd lockdown and other bits from the range but they've virtually vanished now and I can't find any local sellers anymore.

And the grass is from:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/CraftyScenics

Though looks like they've ran out.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #242 on: August 24, 2021, 12:48:09 PM »
Sorry chaps, wasn't paying attention.

Both items are from Etsy:

The Plants are 3D prints are called Venomous Flowers but I still haven't found who made them originally. There were loads of people in the U.K selling them during the 1st-2nd lockdown and other bits from the range but they've virtually vanished now and I can't find any local sellers anymore.

And the grass is from:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/CraftyScenics

Though looks like they've ran out.

FWIW, I've seen both red static grass and foliage clumps at model train shops in the past, although not the more modern tuft style stuff.

The flowers could probably be emulated with a good browse through an online button supply store, or the button aisle at a good fabric/sewing/craft store.  Honestly thought that was what they were until you said they were 3D printed.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #243 on: August 24, 2021, 04:28:26 PM »
Looking fabulous.

I am contemplating some 15 mm skirmish myself. Mainly to get my kids involved. But, I might hold off till the Xenos Rampant rules drop (if that is still a thing). :)
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #244 on: August 24, 2021, 06:50:25 PM »
Great stuff as usual Brummie,

Cook if am not mistaken they were part of 2 " rocks & plants " KS campaigns.
Superb models.....look here... loads of stuff ..
https://www.myminifactory.com/campaigns/fantastic-plants-rocks-88

You would need a resin printer though....
Z
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 09:26:12 PM by zrunelord »
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #245 on: August 25, 2021, 08:44:48 AM »
Great thread Brummie. Those alien plants are the best rendition I’ve seen.  8)

I might hold off till the Xenos Rampant rules drop (if that is still a thing). :)

For XR, in case you haven’t seen it:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=132352.msg1682069#msg1682069
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 38
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #246 on: August 25, 2021, 10:35:07 PM »

You would need a resin printer though....
Z

It just so happens that I do! Still learning the ropes though. This coming weekend is the next big test print. Resin isn't as "fire and forget" as FDM. Once it prints you still have the mess to clean up.  :?

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #247 on: August 26, 2021, 07:15:52 AM »
Good for you Cook... ;)
That is one of the reasons that put people off ... the mess
and the post work also.
Still undecided on which one I should buy.

Did you find the plants you were looking for in the link
I posted?

Do share pics of your work....
Z

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #248 on: August 26, 2021, 08:25:16 AM »
It's the mess that's sort of putting me off a 3D printer. Until I've moved I've no where to put it that would be safe.

So far I mostly rely on outsourcing the printing to others but that can be quite expensive.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #249 on: August 26, 2021, 08:45:54 AM »
Indeed Brummie.
Another important factor is to put it in a place where the resin fumes do not cause problems.
Even the new water based resins seem to have an inherent smell, though I've read not as the other ones.

Z

Offline nandrin

• Librarian
« Reply #250 on: August 26, 2021, 09:13:50 AM »
I participated in the "plants & rocks" KS and printed some of them with my Prusa Mini in PLA. They came out very nicely, no need for resin fumes!  :)

• Mastermind
« Reply #251 on: August 26, 2021, 01:07:40 PM »
Indeed Brummie.
Another important factor is to put it in a place where the resin fumes do not cause problems.
Even the new water based resins seem to have an inherent smell, though I've read not as the other ones.

Lack of reliable long-term setup space is my roadblock as well, much like Brummie.  The odor - well, I spent a few years casting old-fashioned polyurethane resin back in the 80s, and after that no amount of chemical reek is going to impress me.  As long as the fumes don't kill the rest of the neighborhood it should be okay.  :)

The way things are trending owning (and really knowing how to use) a printer looks like it's mandatory for minis fans.  Just so much great stuff out there that doesn't exist outside of stl files, and the cost savings are already ridiculous and getting steadily better.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #252 on: August 26, 2021, 04:31:05 PM »
Not to hijack the thread, but I think printing is a pretty important topic for modern gaming.

I went with the Anycubic Photon Mono SE. From the test prints I've done, it has amazing potential. The downside is that their tech support is crap, and it took me a while to find any real help digging around on the internet. That said, I was able to find my own answers and should be looking forward to a successful actual print this weekend. Oddly, the slicer that Anycubic makes doesn't seem to produce printable files for the Mono SE. Go figure. Chitubox solved that problem for me, and it is a much nicer program to work with at any rate.

As for the mess, I decided to purchase a wash and cure machine for an extra $100. That should drastically reduce the splashing about in toxic sludge that I may need to do.

On the matter of fumes, I have only used the Elegoo water washable resin. The smell is not strong, and I set my printer up in my dining room to give it a test run. Other than pouring, I could smell no trace of the resin. It is distinct, but far less smelly than spray-painted items. I feel like the off-gassing from sprayed terrain is far worse than the resin, if that helps put things into perspective.

Cost really is a big factor. The startup is steep, with my total setup plus a bottle of resin, running close to $400. Compared to the Ender-3, which you can get up and running for around $150, resin has a much higher entry point. But then the rewards are much better. I forget who said it, but printing with PLA is much more technical. Crisp corners, mechanical precision, and an engineering approach to design. Resin printers are a must for organic shapes and smooth contours that layers of filament can't achieve. So a quick cost analysis for me looks like this:
Cost per store-bought miniature = $7 (call that the average with shipping). I would guess that I purchase 20-30 miniatures per year? So to get to the point where I'm really saving money will be a couple of years. In fact, my basic plan is to print about a miniature per weekend, so that will probably accelerate both my unpainted lead pile AND my cost savings considerably.

For the Ender-3 getting on the right side of the cost equation is far easier. Terrain and vehicles tend to cost much more to purchase, and the Ender is a far less expensive machine. Now that I'm into designing my own terrain I have an even greater advantage because I can alter pieces to fit my needs, get them to the table exactly how I want them in under a week (easily), and for pennies on the dollar over store-bought terrain. Even if I could talk someone into altering a piece to fit my needs the shipping would likely take longer than 1-week and I assume my price would jump up drastically.

For the occasional bits, I think Brummie has it right. Easier to shop it on Etsy or E-Bay than to buy the whole setup. But for anyone who wants to design or create armies, I think owning a printer is the better choice.

• Mastermind
« Reply #253 on: August 26, 2021, 06:39:51 PM »
Not to hijack the thread, but I think printing is a pretty important topic for modern gaming.

Agreed.  Much like the shift into seeing more and more plastic and less and less metal on retail store shelves, 3D printing is likely to produce real change in the industry, and not at some distant point in the future either.  It's already grinding away at GW's business so badly that they've looked ahead and are clearly transitioning to a multimedia IP farm at breakneck speed, and it's making inroads in terrain manufacturing as well.

One thing you might consider when you get comfortable with your new rig is the possibility of using it to print for other people if you find you have the time in your schedule.  You could easily defray some of your startup cost that way, and it doesn't sound like you plan to run at full capacity for your own needs alone.  Printers (at their current costs) are a bit like a pickup truck.  You don't necessarily need to own one yourself, but knowing a friend who does sure can be helpful now and then.

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
Re: Brummies 15mm Sci Fi - Xian Mechanised Unit (Old Crow and Brigade)
« Reply #254 on: August 26, 2021, 07:34:55 PM »
Work on the Commonwealth continues apace and I'll soon be able to show off a near complete army. However I've still been fitting in finishing up some half painted units and decided on completing a few Xian units as they've been utterly neglected for years.

These are Old Crow (bar the Half-track which is now Brigade)

The patrol vehicle is an otherwise never-before-seen on the Internet version of the Outrider Scout Vehicle that was released after Old Crow dropped the online store.

I have some more Old Crow models that haven't been seen before in 15mm and will be sharing them soon.

Beautiful stuff all around, but I really dig your colour scheme on these vehicles. SO GOOD!  :-*