Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:33:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Modular Dungeon Terrain for Frostgrave & Other Mini Games  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Thulis

• Lurker
Modular Dungeon Terrain for Frostgrave & Other Mini Games
« on: September 29, 2018, 05:36:46 AM »
Hey all,

I just found this kickstarter for dungeon terrain.  I'm a big fan of Into the Breeding Pits, and my group regularly plays scenarios out of it, as well as just making up our own.  I also GM 5ed D&D so this will definitely come in handy there too. 

Anyway, I just thought I'd post this here.  I'm a backer, but I'm in no way affiliated with the people who've put this together.  Only a day or so left on it. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/606457671/rampage-dungeon-seamless-interlocking-dungeon-tile?ref=discovery&term=rampage%20dungeon

-Thulis

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
Re: Modular Dungeon Terrain for Frostgrave & Other Mini Games
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 07:13:30 AM »
The dungeon stuff looks good that's true.
But too pricey for me. Here's another thread with the same thema somewhere.

Welcome to the Forum!  :)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 07:16:11 AM by Tungdil »

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 12:47:30 PM »
You can make your own dungeons for a fraction of the price. Yes, it costs time, but if you are going to compare it to Kickstarters, the time it takes for your pledge to arrive... You could have that dungeon done.

I did my own modular dungeon. I haven't taken any pictures of it yet though... I should get to that. It was really easy to make though... It was that cheap packaging foam, with special foam for the walls and floors (you can use that purple stuff for that) and all mounted on MDF boards.

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 12:57:19 PM »
Daniel36 what glue you've used for your dungeon? Someone tells me Hot glue pistol works well but i think the heat melts the styrofoam or?

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 12:32:58 PM »
PVA Glue.

What I did was use the bubbly foam stuff to cover large areas, and then add the detail foam stuff on top of it.

Know what, when I find some time (probably next week) I will take some pictures of my dungeon. I do have some Work In Progress pics that I can upload tonight. I can show you parts of the progress, as well as my super secret material that is way cheaper and more perfect than that purple foam stuff.

If you can order it, here is the product in question:
https://www.macleanproducts.nl/comfort-super-5mm-0-59mx0-79m-9-79m
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 12:40:21 PM by Daniel36 »

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »
Thank you. I would like to see photos of your dungeon.

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 08:53:38 AM »
Yeah, I will get to them. I don't have them at my place though, they are in our FLGS, so hopefully next week! :)

Edit: Maybe, just maybe I can get to it this afternoon.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 08:59:41 AM by Daniel36 »

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 02:58:43 PM »
Well, here we go...

This is what the stuff looks like pre-everything

This is one where I also have the cheap white foam as filler

Pre-paint

Post paint... Sort of... I ended up disliking the large black swathes. Also, the lay-out was completely unintentional, though it does make for a nice Weird War 2 bunker, I suppose...

As the Necromancer battles it out with the Elementalist, you can see how I decided after I painted everything to add another layer of colour to it.

I decided the bubbly foam was ugly, even when painted black, so I added layers of toilet paper on top, which I ended up drybrushing from black to brown.

It gave a very nice effect. Here you can see some standard corridors and some of the special rooms that I built.

I would like to mention I mounted everything on 20cm by 20cm MDF plates.

As you may be able to see here

I also made a piece to connect with my cave system, which I had for ages already

And stairs...

A Paladin, Cleric, Wizard and Thief enter a dungeon...

The Necromancer doesn't like that...

Elsewhere, a Witch decides casting fog is a good idea

And as his Ice Frog catches the opposition unaware, the Chronomancer feels it is time (haha!) to flee

You can find a couple more pictures in the Album where I (finally) placed all these pictures.
Here: https://imgur.com/a/KJLbsCr

I should re-upload my Frostgrave model pics sometime soon...

Now, why is that grey sparkly foam stuff better than the purple/blue/yellow foam? Let me tell you.

First off, it is very easy to modify. Use a knife and ballpoint pen to create the stonework, then afterwards use a ball of aluminium to create the texture. Re-do the stonework with the ballpen one more time, coat with black paint, and paint it in any colour you like.

Now, that sounds like something you could also do with the purple foam. Yes, but unless you really cut in or press really hard (like with the aluminium ball), any indentations you make will "bounce back", so it is perfectly safe to place your miniatures on them without damaging your detail work. Plus it is much cheaper... if you can order it outside of the Netherlands that is...

Also, if you accidentally push over your model, the landing will be soft. :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 03:12:09 PM by Daniel36 »

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 11:01:44 PM »
 :-* :-* :-*

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 09:14:26 AM »
That's an absolutely awesome setup - must be great to play on! Bravo sir, bravo.

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 02:14:25 PM »
 :o looks great!!!

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 02:15:59 PM »
Beautiful terrain and figures.  :o  :-* interesting choice of colours for your cultists, daniel. Amazing stuff.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 02:25:00 PM by Tungdil »

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 07:33:11 PM »
The picture of the zombies shambling down the corridor is fantastic.  This is a really great "homemade" dungeon.  Love the stairs and the walls have amazingly fine detail.  I guess if you have tons of money then a professionally made/painted dungeon is fine but a homemade one can be just as good and much less expensive.