Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:59:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley in (of all things) the Pulp Era (updates irregularly)  (Read 17865 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Re: Pulp Alley in (of all things) the Pulp Era (updated 3-30)
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2019, 03:02:46 AM »
In theory, it is a 1/77 model.  In reality, it seems to look just fine.  I bought it so long ago, I don't actually remember what brand.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2019, 03:21:02 AM »
In theory, it is a 1/77 model.  In reality, it seems to look just fine.  I bought it so long ago, I don't actually remember what brand.
Looks like one of the ERTL/Wings of Texaco coin bank ones.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2019, 03:24:13 AM »
Nah, it is a plastic kit.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pulp Alley in (of all things) the Pulp Era (updated 4-29)
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2019, 03:33:01 AM »
So, I fell behind on getting photo's posted - back in the beginning of April I went to a local 1-day convention, and hosted a game with my Zeppelin.

All I remember now, is the dirty rotten team from some unnamed country in Eastern Europe tried to blow it up, and a good Brit stopped it.

This game also featured a new option I added, and some 'rule of cool' rulings on my part.

Astute observers will see a line running down the center of the zeppelin - this is my "zipline".  After two separate games where ervyone was at one end, and the bomber just places the bomb at the other end with no chance of ANYONE getting there before it blows up, I added the cargo cable.  If you want to use it, it is a peril, if you succeed you can ride the line for as far as you want, and that is your action for that turn.  If you fail, you fall off Xd6 along the line.

There was also a moment where a player with short burst wanted to fire through the ceiling of the cabins below the catwalk, and I allowed it. Don't tell me a wooden ceiling getting blasted by a submachine gun would cause a peril below it.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pulp Alley in (of all things) the Pulp Era (updated 4-29)
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2019, 03:53:22 AM »
And we did a campaign game this weekend.  5 players, Lagoon of Terror, as we start playing our way through Act 2 of Perilous Island.

It was hard fought, but my dear Dr. Leermeister managed to pull off the win, by once again sacrificing almost every single other member of the league to win.

The beginnings were okay.  People were maneuvering in the first round.

I started by having my assistant Scarface give Shawn's ally Brock a good swift shooting to the face.  Next trun , he used the utility belt and other gadget to gain the lost pages.

The big ape facing down the leader of the opposition.

This looked like a cluster feldercarb looking to happen.

My leader had grabbed the mysterious remains, and was about to get mobbed.  The area cleared out unexpectedly when my wife had to retire her league due to low blood sugar (she's a brittle diabetic), but that just meant the other 3 went to town on each other, while I ran away.

While 2 of the other gangs were fighting over the native fisherman.

Of course the roll was a 4 as soon as possible. 

My ally in a diving helmet held off the Terror for 3 whole freaking turns, but was eaten in turn 5.

Was a fun game.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pulp Alley in (of all things) the Pulp Era (updated 5-7)
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2019, 04:22:43 AM »
New figures!

These are going to be my leagues for a run at Arctic Rescue I am running post-zeppelin at Enfilade this year, along with a couple of others.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Pulp Alley in (of all things) the Pulp Era (updated 5-7)
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2019, 02:09:12 PM »
Excellent new figures you have painted.
Have love the dog. :D
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pulp Alley in (of all things) the Pulp Era (updated 6-16)
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2019, 09:16:06 PM »
Well, it has been over a month, but I was tied up with stuff, and things...

I have, however, finished up a some jungle pieces...

Needed more for my Perilous Island campaign, and I think I could probably make about 10 more pieces before I run out of materials.  I think I overbought.

And then today and yesterday were taken up with this beauty - though she still needs the detailing done.  She's built and primed now, though.

In progress photos:

And MOSTLY done...

She is, as many of you would recognize, the Sally 4th Tramp Steamer lasercut MDO kit.

She is gorgeous, and everything thing fit beautifully together, was cut well...

BUT

The supplied directions are, in my opinion, close to useless, especially at the end part, where they give no photos, assume you know what pieces they mean, and do not actually tell you where they go, so you have to expand their far too small internet photos like you're looking for Waldo to see where something might go.
If I did not have years of experience with these kinds of things, I likely would have put it into a box and sold it on to someone else out of frustration.

That said, it is still a very well put together kit, and I am looking forward to putting it on the table.  I cheated a bit with this kit - I experimented with something I saw on a railroad model website to make the cardstock more durable.  I gave it a good coat of this:

I coated the entire model with it as per the instructions.  It soaks in, and seems to have hardened the material enough that I was able to lightly sand it to get rid of imperfections.  Also, it only took ONE coat of primer to cover, instead of thirstily drinking an entire can.

I also left off most of the doors, as I didn't like them, and I am planning on making some from plasticard myself, painting them separately and gluing them on.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2019, 12:04:22 AM »
Your ship looks great.
I don't know how many times I have almost purchased it.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2019, 12:14:43 AM »
Well, you can take a close look at it when you come over next.   ;D

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2019, 01:17:05 AM »
Great stuff :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2019, 11:01:59 PM »
Amazing work! THANKS for sharing.  :-* :-*

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2019, 03:46:57 AM »
Thanks, Dave!

I polished her up bit tonight (by dirting her up...odd, that) and I think she will do for terrain and a point of interest.  Anything else can be extras I place on her, and not glued down.

Behold, the Cleveland!

Offline Panama

• Scientist
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2019, 06:26:00 PM »
So much cool stuff on here, why its eye candy overload  :-* :-*

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pulp Alley in (of all things) the Pulp Era (updates irregularly)
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2019, 05:54:14 PM »
Last weekend we had a bit of gaming going on here -  two tables set up for Blood Sacrifice and Sinister Swamp.  I ended up playing the Blood Sacrifice twice, and one of the other gentlemen ended up in the swamp twice, but games were still fun.  I have given up on trying to do AARs, as I can't GM 2-3 games, play, and still keep track of what is going on as well as take photos.

As you can see, I used the Rancor for the Great Gonga, and then my Big Robot Ally, wasn't so much.