Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:30:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690857
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Commercial] Oak & Iron 1/600 Scale Naval Battles 1650-1750 - Two More Videos!  (Read 7193 times)

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
Firelock Games is excited to announce our next Kickstarter coming November 7th, Oak & Iron!

http://www.oakandirongame.com

Oak & Iron is a 1/600th scale naval game set in the age of piracy, imperial expansion, and above all, fighting sail. It allows players to recreate battles between small fleets and squadrons of armed sailing ships. The game is designed to be simple and intuitive while also challenging players by providing significant tactical depth, being true to the theme and tactics of the period, and supplying significant flavor for the various factions represented in the game.

If you have any questions, I’ll be happy to answer them. Thanks for checking it out!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:53:23 PM by El Frantico »
Mike Tuñez
Firelock Games
www.FirelockGames.com

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
Re: [Commercial] Oak & Iron 1/600 Scale Naval Battles 1650-1750
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 05:43:59 PM »
First gameplay video is up!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 12:02:42 AM »
Looks really good, simple enough to pick up quickly and just about enough of the ship handling to keep a flavour of sailing ship combat. Are you planning more detailed ship handling through advanced rules or is what you demonstrate on the video all there is?

I like the card play concept and the special dice and wake/broadside markers work well. The ship models look OK but need much more detail (I assume they will be hard plastic).
I dislike the tiny tokens on the ship models and the way the ships kept being bumped while changing them. Fatigue and damage should be tracked on the ship cards not the models.

How are you planning to retail the game beyond the Kickstarter starter set, individual ships and cards or only sets? Are you including special characters/captains in the game?

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 03:07:19 PM »
Good feedback/questions Rob!

More detailed ship handling rules will be available. The ship models in the videos are VERY rough 3d printed prototypes. You can see better examples on the website. The tiny tokens are optional, some people like having everything visually represented on the table. Everything can be tracked on the card though.

Everything in the Kickstarter will be available to retail after the Kickstarter is delivered. Outside of that, its to early to say for sure what will be available in retail. I'd really like to offer individual ships if possible, so that's likely to happen but I can't tell you yes with certainty. What I can say for certain, is that we have long term plans to support the game. Oh, and yes, special characters will definitely be available to command your ships/fleets.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 06:36:37 PM »
Individual boxes of a ship with its card would be a great way to allow players to expand their fleets.

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 08:47:30 PM »
Individual boxes of a ship with its card would be a great way to allow players to expand their fleets.

I agree 100%, and certainly plan on doing that, but I'm hesitant to promise anything before getting through the Kickstarter. :)

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 10:35:47 PM »
New updated gameplay video up with painted ships. Kickstarter Launches Wednesday next week (Nov. 7) Enjoy! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=_jfNG_aWOJ4&fbclid=IwAR016fudp4FgZqD2Z1t8W6H8lkTzdWfjX1kjKUpRwTck51h-4p6iRr9JQoY&app=desktop

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
Have you decided the final contents of the starter set yet?
How many ships and which ones?  Will extra ship models be available in the Kickstarter?

Bases look better and game seems less clumsy without the tiny tokens, changing that was a good option I think.

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
Yes we have robh. 6 ship models in the box: Galleon, Fluyt, Light Frigate, Corvette, Brigantine, and Sloop. Two extra sets of 3 ships each will also be available. One is 6th, 5th and 4th rates and the other is 3rd, 2nd, and 1st rates.

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
  • English isn't my first language. Forgive me. ;)
Hi,

First of all:
I love the rules! They are on spot for me. Very well done. The video on Mini War Gaming was excellent to get them to know.
The Design of the equipment and the ship bases... Awesome.
Don't know if the ships were final one. For the big size there could have been more details, especially if looking at the sails. But maybe it's a design choice to keep it simple an the price lower.

Can't wait to get more information on the Kickstarter page. Curious about the price tag.

Wish you a good success. Seems (also looking at Blood & Plunder) you know what you do and doing it with passion. And the niche(historical & pirates and now naval action) is kind of small I think in our beloved small hobby. But you brave people did/doing it anyway. Respect. Keep it going.

Greetings from Berlin Germany,
Jan
X-Wing | Oak & Iron | Old West & Sci-Fi Skirmish (WiP)

Offline Big Martin Back

• Scientist
Looks interesting. Might get me to start the Anglo-Dutch wars project I keep fancying.
Tutenes, Atque Cujus Exercitus?

Offline Xeribulos

• Lurker
The last video is really interesting. It shows very nice mini and good rules (fun, realistic and not too complicated: a really good mix)
So I would probably participate... if the price is correct  ;)

Maybe the rules are frozen but if it s not I think some modification could be discuss:
- Template could have an arrow on both sides. They would be easier to use this way I think
- To speed up the game a little only one reroll should be allowed for every roll.
- It’s not a real advantage to move first in many cases. Maybe the moves should be solved in speed order (first ship with no movement this turn, then ship with a speed of 1…)

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
Thanks for the feedback! The game goes live today (9/7) at 2pm EST!

Here are a few pictures of the models and accessories to whet your appetites :)

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
  • English isn't my first language. Forgive me. ;)
Sorry, my English isn't that good. Did you say “wet your penties"? If so, you managed it.  ;D

These Pictures are gorgeous! Wow. I want to buy this gaming table instantly.

2pm means 8pm here at my place. Best time to stare at my monitor. Yes, please, Sir!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:09:57 PM by Jan »

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
curious on this - the price tag will be key...
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/