Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:29:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690722
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hail Caesar! - Growing forces in the Punic Wars  (Read 20950 times)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
Re: Hail Caesar! - Growing forces in the Punic Wars
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2019, 10:45:21 PM »
great work, I do enjoy Scipio Africanus campaigns

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2019, 10:02:14 AM »
great work, I do enjoy Scipio Africanus campaigns

He's yet to make an appearance in our games, but I'm sure at some point we'll have to have him in Iberia / Italy / Carthage campaigns ;)

Well since the last post I haven't really done much up for Romans. I've painted up some Cretan archers which will certainly be used as mercenary forces for Rome at some point, and I've also started getting ready for Men of Bronze / Mortal Gods - so Greeks have been under way.  I may end up using what I am working on in the Punic wars. Syracuse has activity, after all.

Also, I'm building up some terrain based on a Gallic farmstead using pieces from my previous Kickstarter campaign. I want to have a bit of a rustic , single small celtic farm gracing the battlefield.

It's a work in progress. Ideally I'd like to include some more celtic equipment as well as some fairly decent sized trees and pottery. I have some old warhammer scenery bits, Preprimed carts and tables and stuff from Wizkids (I think?) that will all work wonderfully for this little set up.

Hope to show off more soon. Cheers!

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2019, 01:37:46 PM »
Like the village.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2020, 11:07:08 PM »
Hello everyone. Been a long time since I've posted anything but I have been very slowly working on my Punic War Forces. A few of my older minis were damaged in a move and are no longer with me (agema stuff, Greek archers, and a commander) but I will rebuild and keep on painting when I can.

The latest has been a small contingent of Italian allies meant to be on either the Roman or Carthaginian side I plan to do up.

Here you can see them in my latest game against bazookajoe's awesome Carthaginians (a member of this Forum). I haven't finished a full unit of them yet, so I had some Persians and ducks fill the right side!  I plan to do 4 units of these following 160mm fronts for Hail Caesar as well as a number of small skirmisher units. These Italians have lots of colors, designs, and great decals involved with their production so they take me some time to do!

Here's some Hastati fighting some Numidians. There's a random cow wandering around. We believe it is sacred.

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2020, 11:21:25 PM »
 :-* :-* beautiful painting and spectacular collection, great photos too
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2020, 12:34:31 PM »
Cool to see you are still sticking with this project. As mentioned earlier I have quite a few myself. I have used them mostly for easy going To the strongest games with my son and his buddies. I seem to be very much into Hail Caesar. How do you play yor games? Do you make scenarios (if so, please do share ;)) or do you use the point system and fight to the death?

Cheers
Erik

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2020, 12:38:18 PM »
I seem to be very much into Hail Caesar. H

[/quote]

You seem to be (ofcourse)  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2020, 05:52:05 PM »
:-* :-* beautiful painting and spectacular collection, great photos too

Thank you Burnin Coal! I put a lot of effort into my collection, which I enjoy doing but I paint very slowly.

Cool to see you are still sticking with this project. As mentioned earlier I have quite a few myself. I have used them mostly for easy going To the strongest games with my son and his buddies. You seem to be very much into Hail Caesar. How do you play yor games? Do you make scenarios (if so, please do share ;)) or do you use the point system and fight to the death?

I try to stick with projects but it is very tempting to spread out painting and go towards others... I'm working on WW2 stuff right now and also have a post in the Second World War Section of this forum, haha.  I have yet to play To the Strongest, though I did discover the game when I was running a Kickstarter for a Celtic Round House that was successfully funded last year.  Seems like an interesting game I have to try at some point!

As for Hail Caesar! it is far my favourite game since set up and playing is very straightforward with little nonsense. I have played with points in the past but my favourite games are without points. The game is absolutely enjoyable without or with points and I'm willing to use any method of army calculation.

Many of our battles indeed are fights to the death but we've also played various scenarios. In our last game the objective was to hold the high ground but it ended up being a near death battle anyways. We've also played scenarios where a small force holds on to a baggage train / supply cache and has to defend it against a superior enemy, waiting for reinforcements to arrive from off board.  We have also protected strong points like towers, and included ambushes or weak generals leading superior forces in Imperial Roman Vs Britannia games using friend's minis.

Hail Caesar! is really easy to set up scenarios and allows you tons of freedom to do so. There's no set rules about it, so you're basically free to make it up as you go. It's a great story telling game that allows for easy modification of troops, special rules, equipment, and scenarios. We sometimes houserule in limited pila use for romans, for example. You can also use the army list books to build point based armies if you wish. We do not play with points in our games, but we often draw unit stats from the army book for simplicity, ignoring point costs.

Finally the great thing is that you can totally customize units, as there are no points. The rulebook gives certain stats for troop types but the values are completely modifiable! It really is a great scenario supportive game.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2020, 06:26:14 PM »
Love my Republicans I have both early and late. Your divisions are well mixed and similar to Impetus, I would add a allied Italian socii Legion, either Lucani, Bruttii, Etruscans, Saminites, Campanians or the Latin or Greek colonies.

The Lucani, Bruttii and Campanians along with most of the southern Greek colonies defected during the second Punic war so are useful for both sides.

Best of luck with your project

Cheers
Matt

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2020, 07:12:34 PM »
Love my Republicans I have both early and late. Your divisions are well mixed and similar to Impetus, I would add a allied Italian socii Legion, either Lucani, Bruttii, Etruscans, Saminites, Campanians or the Latin or Greek colonies.

The Lucani, Bruttii and Campanians along with most of the southern Greek colonies defected during the second Punic war so are useful for both sides.

Best of luck with your project

Yeah, Republicans are some of my favourite era for Romans, from early to late as well. I have plans to do the lot after the Marian reforms as well, but that's a future project for sure.

I have begun the works on Italian allied divisions, which are just generic looking, using Victrix Samnite minis. They could be used for a number of Italian tribes. My plan was to have some for use on both Roman and Carthaginian sides.  I have many extra Victrix Allied Legionnaire bodies so it would not be hard to create a Socii legion modelled after the maniple system as well.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2020, 04:52:49 PM »
Beautiful pictures!   

I love the cow grazing while the silly humans butcher each other.   lol
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2020, 05:08:49 AM »
Beautiful pictures!   

I love the cow grazing while the silly humans butcher each other.   lol

Yeah - He's like - whatever bipeds. I'll just be grazing over here!

Here's some shots of a little mini game of Hail Caesar I tried solo playing tonight.  I had a bit of an accident with the Italian allies and some of their plumes are missing. A broom handle had their way with them, but I fixed them up and I still think they look great!

I've been busy with business and taxes these days, but I still always try to get in the minimum time for fixing, painting, or building something in the hobby. I am working on a Roman General and more Italian allies currently, so I should have more pics soon!
Cheers everyone.

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2020, 04:31:15 PM »

Pictures are a bit over exposed but here's the latest additions to my punic wars project - a commander of the Roman forces and his body guard and the finishing of a unit of Italian allies. Next will be another unit of Principes and perhaps some Roman Cavalry from Aventine, but first I'll finish up some more world war 2 Italians!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 04:34:56 PM by Wiegraf »

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2020, 05:00:58 PM »
Wonderful painting.  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2020, 06:39:24 PM »
 :-* :-* lovely brushwork and a beautiful collection