Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:51:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hail Caesar! - Growing forces in the Punic Wars  (Read 20601 times)

Offline March Hare

• Assistant
Re: Hail Caesar! - Growing forces in the Punic Wars
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2020, 12:49:03 AM »
Great thread.  Painting and pictures are fantastic.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2020, 01:32:50 AM »
Excellent painting.  I really love the command stand.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Online Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2020, 08:38:16 AM »
I love those Italian allies. They really bring some diversity into the Roman army. I must put them on my to-do list.

Cheers
Erik

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2020, 01:47:01 PM »
Really love those allies!

The 3-leg symbol of one of the shields is still used in Sicily today, sometimes shown with a head in the centre, on a yellow and red field.

The general/commander is also great :-*

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2020, 03:11:19 PM »
Hi there Wiegraf. I enjoyed seeing your army, and recognised it from having seen your blog and Youtube videos before.

From a fellow fan of ancients and Hail Caesar  8)
My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2020, 03:15:18 AM »
Thanks lads! I've been building up more but have been quite busy with projects in the real world and doing a bit of fantasy / ww2. I just finished some final touches on my first division and will share after I seal them next week. 

I'm thinking about finishing up the Italian Ally division. I have a general and his shield bearer done, and think it might be best to plug away through those units in the winter until a division is done - but as mentioned I'll be finishing ww2 first since it doesn't have too terribly much left to paint and uniform troops paint up so fast!

Looking forward to sharing soon, cheers.

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2020, 06:58:13 AM »
What an excellent army. It's always far more work to build irregular looking units of any period but your Romans are the ant's pants. I think you've really captured the essence of this specific period and look right from the start and it's going from strength to strength.

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2020, 04:45:36 PM »
I agree with the thought about irregular forces being more time consuming, but the payoff is worth it, especially here! Nicely done!
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2020, 05:25:54 AM »
Thanks @Fremitus and @Unlucky General! Glad you like the work I've been doing! Yes, the Italian allies will be a fun thing to complete. Looking forward to doing three more units of them along with some Cavalry.

I recently finished an entire Roman Division after all this time - which is a huge milestone for me. I have lost a few models through damages and horrible shelving collapses but have bounced back each time with repairs or repainting miniatures.

I also finished up an Italian Allied General with a shield bearer / bodyguard. The plan now as mentioned is to finish work on a Bersageleri project for WW2 then go on to keep working on Italian allies for the rest of the winter. .

I really like how they have all come together and have learned a lot from painting them. They're my first "complete" historical division I painted in full and am proud of them. My only let down on myself is basing them with too much green and brown earth beneath them - the Mediterranean is often depicted as rocky, arid, and not so much vegetation.. when I began I was very much in the zone of generic grassland instead of historical accuracy. In any case, they'll be able to represent some northern warfare against the Celts or maybe some overseas conflicts at least.  Im sure some parts of the mediterranean have abundant vegetation covering large quantities of land.

The light might make some shots a bit blurry, but I think its okay!

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2020, 07:03:26 AM »
They look excellent, you really made them pop!

Cheers
Matt

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2020, 10:54:59 AM »
 :-* :-* absolutely superb ! Great choice of palette in a spectacular looking force
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2020, 11:12:13 AM »
Lovely army you have there  :-*

Great use of one of the elephant crew with linothorax.

Offline folnjir

• Scientist
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2020, 07:03:38 AM »
Thank you for sharing your lovely work. I'm looking forward to seeing more in due course.

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2020, 09:04:09 AM »
Thanks everyone! The Encouraging words makes me want to keep going.

Unfortunately a few weeks ago horrible thing happened. While I was out doing some errands the wife's friend came over with her 8 year old son, and long story short, he decided to be an arse and help himself to the minis.  Not cool. A good chunk of my Romans and my Celtic Cavalry were utterly destroyed by a very rough child. I got compensation monetarily from the mother - but the memory still burns.

I've had my romans damaged four times now in various ways, but this one was by far the worst. However, after much rage, some sadness, I got over it quickly and decided to just repair the lot.

As you can see I've been fixing stuff for awhile.  I hope nobody is squeamish. It's as if Carthage itself rampaged the lads.

He did quite a number as you can see. I've repaired a good Chunk of them.  The Celtic Cavalry have the worst of it, so I am just going to scrap them, which isn't so bad in my mind.. they're old Wargames Factory models and I think there's better options out there, so no big loss.  For the Romans, I believe only One lad won't be returning the legions...

He has permanent damage to the head and his legs were both cut split. I think I will create a casualty of war from this poor man and replace him with a newer, more fit legionnaire.

Fortunately most of the men have made a full recovery already. A little touch up on some paint spots and some new dirt and grass and most should be good enough to game with and still great for pictures! I've transferred them all to single 20mm bases for ease of repairs and to make use in other games where 40x40mm isn't as reasonable to use.

I've also been busy working on more Italian Allies As I mentioned... trying out some new designs on the togas, all WIP. Will share photos later when the next 4 are through.

Also, built up some more of these Hastati..

I shall call the legions and their division I am repairing "The Cursed Legion" - This lone legion has seen so many damages, the most loses / battles, and every unit in it (Save the General, the newest) has had some form of repairs done to it.  Hopefully the next legions suffer much better and I don't have another occurrence like a box falling on my men, dogs knocking things over or people's silly kids wrecking anything!

If anything - I've learned to stay positive and work through damage and save what I can - I was originally considering tossing the whole project, but after I came to my senses and did some initial repair work, the legions are making a come back and will still be able to take on Carthage and whatever foe while waiting for other, new and fresh units from a second division to join them! 

Thanks all- will update again when I can!

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2020, 10:43:35 AM »
I feel for you Wiegal, it is frustrating when people are so cavalier to other's processions. Did they at least offer to pay for the damage?