Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:40:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Flat! Aaah-ahhh!  (Read 5802 times)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: Flat! Aaah-ahhh!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 08:10:34 AM »
Wow, Mancha, that's stunning!  :o  :-*

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 08:27:16 AM »

After Malamute mentioned the Prince August ones before, I had a look at their site, but they don't seem to do these anymore. They have flat Naps in 40mm, and some odd looking "semi-flats" of modern types. Very strange. 

Hey Rob, I'm showing my age here... This was about 30 years ago..... Before they started doing 25mm Napoleonics they produced a very limited range of C18th flats, my friend got the mould set and we spent ages casting them up, did nothing with them as flats were not as nice as Timpo cowboys or airfix 1/32 soldiers for playing with, it was just the thrill of casting something!
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 08:43:23 AM »
Ah, I see. Well, yes, in that case I'm not surprised they stopped doing them.

There must have been legions of little boys all over England wondering what the hell to do with them now they're here, and how badly they were going to cop it for ruining their mum's saucepan by boiling lead in it.

I actually meant that the semi-flats are strange, though. Neither fish nor fowl, I can't really see the point to them.  :?

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 12:00:42 AM »
Wow, Mancha, that's stunning!  :o  :-*

Thanks.  What I really like about flats is that they can be framed and hung on one's wall, and when guests see them they won't necessarily think you're nuts for painting "toy soldiers".

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 11:00:41 AM »
Flats can be quite stunning, but to get the proper impact you need to go somewhere like Kulmbach, to the German flat figure museum.

It really is impressive even if you don't like flats - they have figures displayed in dioramas by historical period, including a couple of huge dioramas (huge as in bigger than 6' x 6') one of which depicts a 7YW battle, and a truly immense diorama (portraying a renaissance siege of the town) that made it into the Guinness Book of Records for the number of figures.

The museum is not heavily publicised, as far as I know it doesn't have a website, the best I could find was :

http://www.schloesser-bayern.de/englisch/palace/objects/kulmbach.htm

But one thing they do have is a large collectors fair, every 2 years, it's merntioned here :
http://www.louis-liljedahl.se/first.htm
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2009, 01:35:41 PM »
My only personal brush with flats makes an amusing tale -

As a wee nipper I ordered a footlocker full of toy soldiers out of the back of a comic book (expecting the traditional green plastic army men) and the figures I received were plastic flats!

I wasn't best pleased at the time, and of course I no longer have them (now, when I might find it an interesting challenge to paint them...!).

Caveat Emptor!
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 07:43:47 PM »

As a wee nipper I ordered a footlocker full of toy soldiers out of the back of a comic book (expecting the traditional green plastic army men) and the figures I received were plastic flats!

I wasn't best pleased at the time, and of course I no longer have them (now, when I might find it an interesting challenge to paint them...!).

Caveat Emptor!

Likewise.  In my case, it was an ACW set.  The scary thing is that I still have most of them!
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 08:56:17 PM »

Caveat Emptor!

Likewise.  In my case, it was an ACW set.  The scary thing is that I still have most of them!

I am an inveterate packrat- I do still have a number of my Airfix figures from around the same time...