Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:44:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689715
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Late Period Egyptians  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Late Period Egyptians
« on: February 04, 2021, 11:01:21 PM »
Can anyone recommend any good secondary sources for Late Period Egyptians?  This is roughly 525 BCE to Ptolemy's conquest of the region.   

Their are some notable revolts and battles during this period between them and the Archemeanid (sp) Persians.  This also includes an expedition by the Athenians to help with one of their revolts. 

However, I can not seem to find much detail in how these Late Period Egyptians fought?  Can anyone point me in the proper direction?
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
Re: Late Period Egyptians
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 11:50:11 PM »
What is "BCE"?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 01:16:31 AM »
Before the Common Era. A less ethno/religious denominator for ‘BC’. Widely used these days but the term itself dates back centuries. The corresponding term for ‘AD’ is ‘CE’, the Common Era.

Like Santa Claus, the whole world doesn’t attribute the same importance to a chippy from Nazareth.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 11:48:23 AM »
I had a DBM army of Saitic Egyptians. Big blocks of poor quality spearmen with big blocks
of poor quality archers. Add in the 'Nobles' riding around in 4 horse heavy chariots  & that
is most of your army.  How did it fight...poorly, but I loved them.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 03:13:28 PM »
Thanks for that has.been! 

It was the chariots that I am completely unsure about.  Did they keep using them this late in the game?  I know the Egyptian military was a late-adopter to a lot of technology, but I was unsure how late in the period they used chariots? 

In 525 BCE, sure, I can see it.  By Ptolemy's invasion and the fall of the Persian Empire I am much less confident about chariots.....

Offline AFC Forever

• Student
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 04:53:26 PM »
Thanks for that has.been! 

It was the chariots that I am completely unsure about.  Did they keep using them this late in the game?  I know the Egyptian military was a late-adopter to a lot of technology, but I was unsure how late in the period they used chariots? 

In 525 BCE, sure, I can see it.  By Ptolemy's invasion and the fall of the Persian Empire I am much less confident about chariots.....

Chariots are done when the Persians conquer it in 525 BC. After that and it is the Ptolemys which as really Macedonian and have no chariots. But they are heavy chariots so you need to convert Assyrians

I am building this army now as Siatic (to fight the Persians) and Kushites to fight the Assyrians. The ADLG lists are pretty good for these periods.

It is the Assyrians that introduce  the heavy chariot so I used Newline Assyrian chariots and purchased Egyptian crew to replace them. For the Kushites I used Nubians

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 07:16:26 PM »
Perfect. 

I had a feeling that was the case.  Although Persians were not averse to using chariots themselves so I was unsure.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 03:04:01 PM »
Thread, arise from the ashes!  You shall be re-born!

Okay, a bit of threadomancy, but I thought I would share the blog post I put together on this topic.  Hopefully this new content is relevant enough.   

The Egyptians have a long and vibrant history as an Empire.  It is crazy to think that Cleopatra is closer in time to the moon landing, then she is to the foundation of Egypt as a civilization in the Nile Delta!  That is a long span of time!  It honestly boggles the mind. 

The Egyptians were still active in the Mediterranean when the Greeks were expanding outward from Greece.  Indeed, the Egyptians had a long history of hiring Greek mercenaries to help fight their wars all the way back to the Mycenaes and the Greek Dark Age.  However, during the hey-day of Greek Hoplite battles, the Greco-Persian Wars, and all the way to the conquests of Alexander the Egyptians remained a player in the Mediterranean region. 

Therefore, I have posted about the Late Period Egyptians and their armies on the blog.  This information can also be found in the Hercules Abroad supplement on the Blood and Spectacles Wargame Vault page. 

I hope you enjoy the thoughts.  Feel free to let me know what I missed or am overlooking in this thread.

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2021/07/men-of-bronze-late-period-egyptians.html

Hercules Abroad Link:
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/349063/Hercules-Abroad--Men-of-Bronze-Supplement

Wargame Vault Link:
https://www.wargamevault.com/browse.php?keywords=blood+and+spectacles&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=

Offline Szary

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 09:40:36 AM »
Where is the "Bow" special rule? Neither the blog post nor the HA pdf in extenso contain it - and neither seem to the core rules.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 03:56:49 AM »
Oh!  Let me take a peak at my Men of Bronze rule book under cavalry again.....

Huh!  Blimey it is not there!   I guess I got it mixed up with the upcoming Wars of the Republic rules!  I will update Hercules Abroad accordingly! 

In the meantime....

Shoot 2 (10bw) for +2 points

Edit: This has been updated in Hercules Abroad now.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 03:03:43 PM by Easy E »