Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:25:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690815
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Grey Knights {WIP} December 8 '23 {3D print}  (Read 10300 times)

Offline eMills

• Scientist
Grey Knights {WIP} December 8 '23 {3D print}
« on: October 26, 2018, 07:28:57 AM »
Hello again everyone.  I have been absent from the forums and the hobby in general for awhile. Real life sucks sometimes though, and I needed a little bit of a distraction from some of said suck...

I was inspired by the Kill Team release: Solid rules, lots of options, and best of all small teams mean I can go all out on the models. Plus, they can all do double duty in Inq28 and RPG sessions.  So, here is the first Kill Team that I am making, the Grey Knights.

1. Justicar

2. Zealot

3. Knight

4. Psycannon

5. Incinerator

Group:

All are in various stages of WIP, but all will have a dagger, a tilt shield, a book, and a helmet as standard.  I'm still deciding whether I want to use the tilt shields they are shown with here or use blank ones to have individual, painted heraldry on them.  All of the melee focused will have a vambrace from the Stormcast Eternal line to act as a sort of shield, and another place for detailing. I will eventually add sculpted detail onto their legs as well.

For paint, I am thinking of forgoing the traditional scheme and painting them somewhat darker.  I intend these to be a sort of Knights Errant group, and hell, maybe even a test run for Primaris Knights, who knows.  I am thinking a darker silver for the base armor, a metallic black for the lettering and most of the detailing and a dark bronze for some details.  Black and red as supplemental colors for some details.  Not sure yet, and that is honestly awhile off, so I have lots of time to think.

Bodies are Primaris Intercessors from the Dark Imperium or Know No Fear boxed sets. GK details are from the Grey Knights Strike Squad or Paladins.  Knives are from the Death Company set. Zealot's head is a modified Blood Angel Sgt (I think) and the Incense burner detail on his backpack is from a Dark Angels kit (again, I think...) Lots of bits seller purchases over the course of this year, lol.

Next to be built will be another Knight with Falchions, a Knight with a Psilencer, and a Knight Commander.

I can promise updates will be slow and sporadic, but will happen. My wife has been in the hospital since February and won't be home for a couple months yet.  She is getting better but there is still a long difficult road ahead of us so my time for hobby will be limited.

As always, I'd love to hear what you folks think.  Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 01:00:43 AM by eMills »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: {Kill Team} Grey Knights
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 08:00:07 AM »
Sorry to hear about your wife, mine was in hospital a lot last year, and as you say real life sucks. I wasn’t able to fit any hobby stuff in for quite some time. But once I felt able to do some it did help with having something relaxing to do.

On to the figures, these look really good, lots of thought has gone into all the bits for them. Kill Team is my first foray into full size 40k (I’ve done lots of epic) and its a good game, and the teams are small enough that they are quick to assemble and paint.

Looking forward to seeing progress on these.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 10:35:37 AM »
Primaris Grey Knights... Nice work on those. And I'm sorry to hear about your wife - that's a tough stretch of road to have to walk.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 12:27:52 PM »
Sounds like a rough time for your wife and for you.

Great work on the grey knights, though. They really look the part.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 06:52:22 AM »
Sorry to hear about your wife, mine was in hospital a lot last year, and as you say real life sucks. I wasn’t able to fit any hobby stuff in for quite some time. But once I felt able to do some it did help with having something relaxing to do.

On to the figures, these look really good, lots of thought has gone into all the bits for them. Kill Team is my first foray into full size 40k (I’ve done lots of epic) and its a good game, and the teams are small enough that they are quick to assemble and paint.

Looking forward to seeing progress on these.
Thanks Fred.  I dearly hope your wife is in better health these days.  I constantly have people telling me not to forget to take care of myself, but it is hard to justify it.  Things are improving though, so the pressure will be let off a bit and I should get a little more hobby time in.

I have always like the Grey Knights and was super excited when GW released plastic kits for them.  I really couldn't get into them as is though.  They just felt so bland compared to the old metal RT era Grey Knight and the artwork.  My loading up of bits is an effort to get the feel of the artworks, if that makes sense.

Primaris Grey Knights... Nice work on those. And I'm sorry to hear about your wife - that's a tough stretch of road to have to walk.
Thanks Dentatus.  It really is. 

Hope you like the finished article (and hope you are still interested by the time I have meandered to the finish line. lol.)

Sounds like a rough time for your wife and for you.

Great work on the grey knights, though. They really look the part.
Thanks Bill.  It has been tough, but I finally see light at the end of the tunnel for us.

Glad you are liking the figures.

I hope to have a small update later, time permitting.  Thanks again everyone.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 06:54:14 AM by eMills »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 06:55:15 PM »
I dearly hope your wife is in better health these days.  I constantly have people telling me not to forget to take care of myself, but it is hard to justify it.

She is, so much better than a year ago. You do need to take time to look after yourself, if you don't then you can't look after other people. You need some down time to recharge your own batteries. But I do get that is can feel hard to justify doing hobby stuff, but you do need stop and relax, hobby stuff is good for this, but sometimes just taking some time to sit down and relax is just as useful and important.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 03:05:36 AM »
She is, so much better than a year ago. You do need to take time to look after yourself, if you don't then you can't look after other people. You need some down time to recharge your own batteries. But I do get that is can feel hard to justify doing hobby stuff, but you do need stop and relax, hobby stuff is good for this, but sometimes just taking some time to sit down and relax is just as useful and important.
I'm very happy to hear that Fred.

I know all of that intellectually, but boy is it still hard to do sometimes.

Anyway, an update:
This, boys and girls, is why you don't forget your plastic miniatures in your putty oven.

I think I can salvage the bodies, and maybe the Psychic Hoods, but the Daemonhammer, the Force Sword, the Daggers, and the GK collars are toast. *sigh*

Not exactly the kind of update I wanted to post...

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 06:51:39 AM »
Oh no!  :(

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 07:45:24 AM »
Oops!

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 08:12:00 AM »
Oh no!  :(
Oops!

I know, right?  Very frustrating.  So frustrating, I still haven't fixed the bodies yet.  lol

Update:
Brotherhood Champion

Got my KT Commanders expansion and decided to make this guy now instead of later.  He will be painted in a more traditional GK scheme of silver, gold, black, white, and red.  He will have the accessories common to all my GK though: Book, Helmet, Dagger.  Still not entirely sure about the hooded head.  I think I am keeping it.  Or at least one like it.  Need to find or make a shouty hooded head.  He is the leader after all. lol  His pose is also temporary and will change a little bit once I get more of his parts done.

Zealot

Not a terrible lot of change there.  I have always found it a tiny bit odd that the Grey Knights didn't have Aquila on them anywhere really, so I decided to add them.  Since he is the religious nut, this guy will get one of the more obvious ones.

Justicar

Switched the Iron Halo from his backpack to his Psychic Hood.  You can also see the magazine that I will be using on all of the team's Storm Bolters.  It is a magazine from a Primaris Intercessor.

That's it for now.  As always, thanks everyone for looking.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 02:00:54 PM »
Nice work.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 10:44:36 PM »
Nice work.
Thanks UVS.  Hope to have a little more to show later today, time permitting.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 01:32:33 PM »
That Brotherhood Champion - -  :o

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 04:16:24 AM »
That Brotherhood Champion - -  :o
Thanks Dentatus.   :D

A little later than I had hoped, but a small update:

Pretty much what the final pose will be.  Lots of little details left to sculpt, but I am pretty happy with where he is at now.  I normally hate tabards on figures, but I wanted some cloth to tie in with the hood, and I think this will work well.

I think he is obviously GK enough to keep the hood, but I am afraid of him having too much the look of the Dark Angels about him.  Perhaps when I use another head under the hood I won't need to worry so much about that.  We'll see I guess.

Thanks everyone for stopping by.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2018, 10:37:21 AM »
All looking great - and standing upright too! Shame about the ones that got lost in the warp though.