Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:35:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Kaiser in China (Picture Update 02/05/09)  (Read 3314 times)

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
The Kaiser in China (Picture Update 02/05/09)
« on: April 25, 2009, 12:06:56 PM »
Basically I want to start a new project set in a China during and after WWI. The project is something that I have been thinking about for a while now and I figured now that I have fleshed it out a bit I would put it out there and get some opinions/feedback/further inspiration.

It is in its early stages of development, and my history is very vague in places but here goes:

At the end of 1914 the German forces have managed to defeat the Japanese siege of Tsingtao, mainly as a result of the return of the East Asia Squadron which reinforced the German garrisson and ended the Japanese blockade.

In central Asia and the Pacific Islands the Hindu-German conspiracies are much more successful leading to a series of rebellions in early 1915, centered on Singapore but spreading across the British Raj. These rebellions diverted British forces from other areas of Asia and the British also request Japanese help, this eases the pressure on German forces in Jiaozhou Bay. With the help of the Japanese however the uprisings are supressed but Britain?s position is weakened in Asia.

Japan realises this and takes advantage of the political and military upheavals by invading Manchuria, but, under great pressure from Britain and the allies, stops short of taking Port Arthur from the Russians. They are unhappy at this and the city remains threatened, the Japanese also begin to limit any further cooperation with the British, who, after the rebellions of 1915 they see as weak.

As a result of the invasion and the further threat of Japanese expansion Yuan tries to consolidate his position. He become far more authoritarian and proclaims himslef as Emperor in 1915. This sparks a wave of uprisings and civil war in China during which Yuan is assassinated, it is unclear by who but there is possible Japanese involvement. With growing unrest in China several warlords forge closer ties with the Germans who remain strong in the area.

By 1917 the Russian Revolution is in full swing and Germany and her allies take advantage of this by invading Port Arthur in a lightening attack that stuns both Russia and the Japanese who also had their sights on it.

In 1918 there is revolution in Germany as large parts of the German Imperial Navy rebel. The Kaiser leaves Germany, fleeing by zeppelin to his remaining stronghold in the East. As the revolution continues and the armistice is signed many of veteran troops loose confidence in the German leadership, stating that Germany had not been defeated, these men remained loyal to the Kaiser and many abandon the Weimar Republic, who they believed has betrayed them, and leave Europe to join the Kaiser in China. 

As I said it is in its very early stages and is likely to be an Autumn project as I am rediculously busy at uni at the moment and then off to America during the summer but I'd like to get a start before then hopefully.

Anyway any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:51:06 PM by Mr.J »

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Kaiser in China
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 10:15:53 PM »
I have some similar idea, too.
Mine goes so:
Since East Africa didn't surrender (history: 2 weeks after the armistice) von Lettow-Vorbeck managed to proclaim independence and so it remained a "german" country.
Kiatschu managed to be saved and not fallen to Japanese hands.
Some of the Pacific german colonies also remained german.
All proclaimed independence and now they work together struggling to survive.
[The above is because: I do have a large German Colonial Army fro Africa, some Samoan Fita-Fitas -Tiger Miniatures- and some sea vessels and german sailors.]
I have not place for a Kaiser but some nobility titles might be allowed at least only in the German names.
Maybe later I can add some purchased land somewhere in South America, China etc.
argsilverson

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 10:23:53 PM »
Argsilverson: "East Africa didn't surrender."

The Brits had possession of German East Africa, even if it hadn't surrendered. It was the remains of the Schutztruppe that they didn't have. They were in Northern Rhodesia (Zambia) when they finally gave up.  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 10:28:30 PM »
Argsilverson: "East Africa didn't surrender."

The Brits had possession of German East Africa, even if it hadn't surrendered. It was the remains of the Schutztruppe that they didn't have. They were in Northern Rhodesia (Zambia) when they finally gave up.  :)

You are right.
But let's play a little with history!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 10:34:13 PM »
Yes, let's. I would have the Kaiser, holding court over a bunch of Hottentots in Pickelhaubes, or bare-bothered New Guinea Uhlans, and acting like he's still he Berlin.  ;D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 10:57:23 PM »
Yes, let's. I would have the Kaiser, holding court over a bunch of Hottentots in Pickelhaubes, or bare-bothered New Guinea Uhlans, and acting like he's still he Berlin.  ;D

lol

I think I have seen that movie.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 11:19:32 PM »
Sounds like a great idea to me
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 10:43:40 AM »
Historically there have always been fairly good relations between Germany and China. A friend of mine who lives in Shanghai for at the moment has visited Tsingtao and told me about the German prison there, which is now a museum. However, the German colonial period is always seen in the light of building railroads etc. The negative feelings are reserved for Japan.

Okay, Germany just didn't have the time to behave all bad, so it's more a matter of having been kicked out and being repalced by more aggressive overlords that Germany still has a good standing there.

However, the Kaiser taking on the local Chinese as loyal subjects and of course having to include them into the hierarchy of a fictional "German (-ic) Ostreich (Eastern Empire) of Tsingtao" makes a great setting for some great nonsense. Lovely idea.

As to Lettow-Vorbeck, he could rule over some kind of secret "Djungel Empire of the Germans". Just as we all know there are still Nazi U-Boote operating from "Eisschloss" (Icecastle) under the Antarctica...
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 08:59:57 AM »
You mention the U-boats but you neglected the fact that there would obviously be rogue zeppelins on top secret missions for the Kaiser!

Now I feel like I've really got to order at least a few soldiers before I head off to America!

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: The Kaiser in China (Picture Update 02/06/09)
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 10:01:47 AM »
Here are the first additions to this project, my Zeppelin crew. I've been sitting on them for a week or so as they are also my entry for this weeks LPL.

I have a couple of figures left to paint to finish the unit but they arrived slightly after the initial delivery and so I haven't had chance yet.

I also have a few more figures ready for the project, again they were painted for LPL but they are being absorbed into this project too.

On the workbench there are a few Brigade Games German trench raider/assault troops but I think they will have to wait until I get back from the US now.

Overall I am fairly pleased with this project, just wish I could've got a better start before I go.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:06:38 AM by Mr.J »