Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:28:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Rangers of Shadow Deep game.  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
A Rangers of Shadow Deep game.
« on: November 03, 2018, 10:55:18 PM »
I had a quick game of the new Rangers of Shadow Deep.
A ranger character was generated and along with several companions went on their first mission
"It has been less than a week since the destruction of Lorenthia and the appearance of the Shadow Deep but, in that time, the world has seemingly gone mad. Reports of strange creatures, and evil, robed men are flooding in from all along the new border. Even with every soldier, ranger, and volunteer mobilized, the kingdom is stretched thin. Three days ago, a veteran ranger by the name of Aventine went out to investigate reports of an attack on a nearby village. He has not returned. Determined to find the missing ranger, you have gathered what companions you can and set off for the village. It’s an eight-hour hike over difficult terrain."  From Rangers of Shadows Deep rule book.

The band of adventurers.  The Ranger With No Name and friends.

While his friends deal with the giant rats (err, small wolves) and zombies that have attacked..........

the ranger goes to a hut, kicks in the door and is pounced on by a zombie.

Which he promptly kills.

They just don't build houses like they used to.  A building collapses but the warrior manages to get out unscathed.

Nooooo!  Aventine!  The missing ranger is found dead.

Nooooo!  Not again!  A companion is now cut down.

I was a bit unsure why spiders were needed for this mission (as listed in the figures required) and as I had no rats I thought my spiders would stand in.

A survivor is found!

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Re: A Rangers of Shadow Deep game.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 11:21:00 PM »
I was interrupted in posting by a phone call.

I have not played Frostgrave, but own the book and it seems the combat mechanisms are similar. 
I think the way characters are generated is simple and clever, but I wish there were, possibly, some more choices of skills.  Most low level characters will have a very similar set of skills.  The special abilities seem well thought out and spells don't look like they will unbalance the game.  The rules around character progression for the ranger's companions is also very simple but, I think, effective and avoids excessive book keeping.
There are some very interesting ideas around game events and how these are affected as a campaign progresses; essentially there are cards specific for the scenario events and campaign cards that are added in to represent the increasing danger as the enemy becomes aware of the heroes.

The rules are nicely presented, easy to read and there is a large number of scenarios and missions.
My quick run through of a game was fun and I will certainly play a few more games.   At present I think I prefer Sellswords, but there are many ideas in Rangers that I would like to use for my Sellswords games. 

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
Re: A Rangers of Shadow Deep game.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 06:48:18 AM »
Thanks for the report/review! Glad you enjoyed it!

Side note - the spiders are needed for the 'mission' which includes the first two scenarios - its the second scenario where they come out in force.