Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:50:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690962
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help Needed- non-movie Uruk-Hai!  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
Help Needed- non-movie Uruk-Hai!
« on: November 04, 2018, 08:27:40 PM »
Hello, folks!

My Middle Earth Dragon Rampant project is still going strong, and now my army of Arnor is nearly completed my thoughts are starting to turn towards the next stage- the Battle of the Fords of Isen. Specifically, Uruk-Hai!
I originally thought about using Mantic Orcs for these, but I'm not entirely happy with this solution- now I'm thinking about combining Oathmark Humans with Oathmark Goblins, or even Gripping Beast Vikings/Saxons... Does anybody out there have any comparisons of these kits so I can get an idea of if this will work? Or is this just crazy-talk?

Cheers for reading, and for any help you can give me!
I now have a Blog, like an actual modern-day human!
https://lead-mountaineer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Re: Help Needed- non-movie Uruk-Hai!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 08:35:41 PM »
Interesting project, have you seen the Grenadier Half-Orcs as those look suitable for representing Uruk-Hai?
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 08:58:20 PM »
Oathmark goblins combine reasonably well with Gripping Beast vikings (I have a photo somewhere on some thread or other - will see if I can find it).

But aren't Oathmark goblins about right for Uruk-hai as they are, stature-wise? They're a bit smaller than Men (as they should be: see Gimli's comments about the Dunlendings at Helm's Deep; they were too tall for him, whereas the Isengard orcs weren't).

What you'd need for the Isengarders would be long bows and short, broad and straight (by inference) swords. But you could kitbash those easily enough - Perry longbowmen, perhaps, and either use Romans for the swords or just cut down the Oathmark scimitars.

Mantic orcs are surely far too big for the Uruk-hai.

You could use Oathmark goblin heads on Gripping Beast viking to get the half-orcs at the Battle of the Fords of the Isen (the ones who killed Theodred); they were as tall as Men and armed with axes.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 09:02:17 PM »
There will be some good suggestions on this thread.

I think the best Uruk-hai around are probably Jez Goodwin's Asgard soldier-orcs (now available from Viking Forge). They have the short, straight swords and are about the right size.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 09:17:23 PM »
I use the old Grenadier half orcs as uruk hai:
http://area-23.blogspot.com/2017/11/the-fighting-uruk-hai.html
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 09:19:55 PM »
I use the old Grenadier half orcs as uruk hai:
http://area-23.blogspot.com/2017/11/the-fighting-uruk-hai.html

They're lovely - but if you're doing the Fords of the Isen, you need half-orcs and Uruk-hai; they have very distinct roles and equipment in the battle.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 10:38:57 PM »
I know, for half-orcs I'll use Normans in mailcoats with axes (yet to be painted), they'll look like the one in the middle, next to the Dunlendings:

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 10:42:46 PM by area23 »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 10:52:33 PM »
Aha! He looks a perfect "Man or Orc-man"!

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 07:05:47 AM »
Thanks all for your input and suggestions- very much appreciated!

@Hobgoblin: thanks especially for the link- a fascinating thread!

Your point about half-orcs has cleared up one issue for me at least- I'll be using axe-wielding GB Vikings with Oathmark goblin heads as those- the GB figures are slightly stooped anyway- perfect (in my mind at least)!

As you say, maybe I could just convert some spare Oathmark goblins to Uruks with a different paint scheme and 'Isengard-issue' wargear (straight-swords, round shields)...

The reason I was originally looking for other figures for my Uruks was because I wanted more visual difference between them and 'lesser' orcs on the tabletop- I don't have my books to hand, but were there any 'lesser' orc infantry present at the battle? Because if not then that solves the issue for me!  :)

Once again, thanks everybody!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 10:15:52 AM »

As you say, maybe I could just convert some spare Oathmark goblins to Uruks with a different paint scheme and 'Isengard-issue' wargear (straight-swords, round shields)...

Yes - the Oathmark goblins are definitely "goblin-soldiers of greater stature", given that goblin-soldiers of lesser stature appear to have been Hobbit-sized. I realise that I jumped the gun in that thread by saying that the Isengarders had round shields; I don't think that's ever actually stated. So the Oathmark shields are fine as they are, as long as they get a White Hand!

The reason I was originally looking for other figures for my Uruks was because I wanted more visual difference between them and 'lesser' orcs on the tabletop- I don't have my books to hand, but were there any 'lesser' orc infantry present at the battle? Because if not then that solves the issue for me!  :)

You could argue it either way, but I don't think there were. There's a description of "Orcs" and a description of "fierce Uruks" - but Tolkien almost always describes the Uruk-hai simply as "Orcs" throughout the narrative of The Lord of the Rings. So there are no real grounds for reading "Orcs" as implying "not Uruks". I think the description of "fierce Uruks trained to move at great speeds", etc. is a kind of "in focus" description or close-up.

Why? Well, a careful reading of The Lord of the Rings indicates that all (or virtually all) of the goblin-soldiers of Isengard are Uruks. If you start with the earliest descriptions of them at Amon Hen and read right the way through to the Appendices, there's no sign of lesser orcs barring (perhaps) Ugluk's reference to a scout as "Snaga". But that scout might well be a Northerner (Ugluk praises their ability to see in the dark).

At Helm's Deep  Gamling warns Aragorn that the "creatures of Isengard" will not quail at the sun - which hardly suggests that there are troops of sunlight-averse smaller orcs around. Also, a distinction is made between two shapes of enemy: "tall and grim" and "squat and broad". And in 'Flotsam and Jetsam', when Merry and Pippin describe the armies of Isengard marching out, they also make a binary description between Orcs and Man-sized creatures:

"Then all at once there was a tremendous stir. Trumpets blared and the walls of Isengard echoed.... All Saruman's people were marching away. I don't know much about this war, or about the Horsemen of Rohan, but Saruman seems to have meant to finish off the king and all his men with one final blow. He emptied Isengard. I saw the enemy go: endless lines of marching Orcs; and troops of them mounted on great wolves. And there were battalions of Men, too. Many of them carried torches, and... I could see their faces. Most of them were ordinary men, rather tall and dark-haired, and grim but not particularly evil-looking. But there were some others that were horrible: man-high, but with goblin-faces, sallow, leering, squint-eyed.... they reminded me at once of that Southerner at Bree: only he was not so obviously orc-like as most of these were."

That echoes the "squat and broad" and "tall and grim" distinction rather nicely - with the added detail that some of the "tall and grim" people had orcish features. At this point, both Merry and Pippin and their audience (Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Gandalf) are more than familiar with the Uruk-hai of Isengard, but these man-high creatures were new to them (apart from the echo of Bill Ferny's friend).

Later in the conversation, when Merry says that "I don't think many orc-folk, of whatever size, escaped", that's clearly a reference back to the line about the "horrible" men with goblin-faces: that is, Merry doesn't think either the orc-sized or the man-sized orcish creatures escaped in any number.

Anyway, the key point here is that Isengard's soldiers seem to come in two main sizes: orc-sized and man-sized. At Helm's Deep, we learn that Gimli prefers fighting the former to the latter on size grounds, even at the point where "the hugest orcs" are mustered. And at the Isen, we hear that the orcs have a difficulty with the Rohirric shield-wall that the Dunlendings don't have. That's a nice echo of Gimli's comments. My inference is that Uruks are roughly the size of dwarves, with smaller orcs (like those Frodo and Sam join in Mordor) about the size of Hobbits. And at no point do we hear of Hobbit-sized soldiers fighting for Isengard.

I'd also argue that almost all of the orcs we see fighting for Mordor are Uruks; Frodo and Sam's Durthang line seems to be a bunch of reserves being mustered in Sauron's final push; and we learn in the Appendices that Mordor has been issuing whole armies of Uruks for hundreds of years. Also, the small tracker-orc complains to his Uruk companion about the way "you fighters" have handled the war, which suggests - unsurprisingly - that it's the big soldier-orcs who do most of the fighting. And why wouldn't they, given that Sauron had whole armies of them to take Osgiliath and to send to the Misty Mountains (whence Saruman derived his Uruks).

So why do gamers almost aways include huge contingents of "lesser orcs" in Middle Earth army lists for Isengard and Mordor? If you look at almost any army list drawn up for Isengard or for the Pelennor Fields, there's always "Orcs" and "Uruks" as separate things. I don't think the text supports this at all - but because Tolkien was writing fiction rather than 'balanced' game factions, there's a problem. And this is it: the Uruk-hai appear quite formidable in close-up: fast, strong, fierce, heavily armed - heavy infantry who are also preternaturally fast and armed with bows. But in 'zoomed-out' scenes in the book, they die in their droves and are clearly inferior to Men.

That apparent contradiction is because Tolkien's writing a heroic narrative - and his heroes need to face daunting odds. And there's a trope in medieval heroic narratives in which "everyone's a better fighter than everyone else" - i.e. all combatants tend to be described as formidable fighters. Tolkien tends to adopt this, I think, which makes adapting his stuff for gaming slightly harder than initially meets the eye.

Anyway, a straight reading of LotR indicates that the orcish armies of Isengard were mainly or entirely Uruk-hai, fighting alongside Dunlendings and half-orcs. The Isen narrative should be read in this light, I think.

One more thing: people often say that that the wolfriders can't be Uruks. I've never understood this. Merry talks about "Orcs", some of whom were "mounted on great wolves". He doesn't indicate that these were small Orcs. And wargs seem to be able to carry large orcs - Beorn "pulled down" Bolg before crushing him, which strongly suggests that he was mounted. We can assume that he, like his father, was a "great orc", i.e. one of the Uruks that Sauron had sent to the Misty Mountains (hence the "black Uruks of Mordor" in the Mines of Moria.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 10:31:48 AM »
One more thing!

When Aragorn, etc., first discover the Uruk-hai corpses at Amon Hen, it's significant, I think, that it's the equipment, not the size, of the dead "goblin-soldiers" that draws their attention. Why? Because it's more like the gear of Men. This makes sense: Aragorn and co. have seen Uruks before (most recently in Moria; none of these Isengarders appears to be as big as the huge chieftain in the Chamber of Mazarbul; but in any case, Uruks have been around for something like 500 years by this point).

And when Ugluk & co. are running through Rohan, it's not clear that the Isengarders are hardier than the soldiers of Mordor: they might be, but Tolkien suggests that the small lead they take over the Mordor orcs might be because of a plan of Grishnakh's.

Anyway, the point here is that it's equipment that seems to distinguish the Isengarders. So, if you're using the Oathmark goblins, there might be a case for trying to make them look a little different in gear than other orcs - maybe avoiding the horned helmets as well as the scimitars and short bows? Or splicing more regular-looking historical human helmets onto the goblin heads?