Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:20:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer: Old School Nouveau style  (Read 77522 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Forces of Evil
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2018, 11:53:59 AM »
cor - fantastic painting, all.

Offline Nicklas P

• Librarian
    • instagram
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2018, 05:52:45 PM »
Thanks guys

Fantastic painting in this thread. Hess Poison Breath's googles - metalics only or you added a wash/shading? Love him.

The reflection is just painted on with regular matte paints. The only colours I used on this was black, white and Scale 75 'Toxic Waste Green.'

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2018, 08:11:17 AM »
Cool, thanks - he has been nicely executed.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Nicklas P

• Librarian
    • instagram
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2019, 05:59:11 PM »
I painted up Sli'Ith Iron Lung in a similar fashion to Hess Poison Breath above. I converted him slightly by substituting his hands with one from the Empire Wizards kit and one from the 40k Poxwalkers.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 06:58:42 AM by Nicklas P »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2019, 10:27:42 PM »
Again, such a tight palette, but so effective.

Offline Nicklas P

• Librarian
    • instagram
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2019, 05:09:07 AM »
I've painted up one of the chainrasps from the Warhammer Underworlds Nightvault box. I wanted to keep the paintjob loose and energetic. The idea was to make it seem as if the ghost was flowing with unnatural energy.

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2019, 02:31:11 PM »
Wow, your lighting effects are really striking.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2019, 04:56:43 PM »
Gorgeous stuff.  I love when people paint with style over technical perfection - please don't take that as an insult.

One of my favourite commission painters is often derided for being technically poor, but his models are striking in a very artistic/emotional way (i.e. he delivers a thematic punch without meticulous edge-highlighting and hours of wet-blending, etc.).

Really like painted minis like this.  I have zero artistic ability to mimic the style or I would. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Nicklas P

• Librarian
    • instagram
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2019, 06:05:21 PM »
Wow, your lighting effects are really striking.

Cheers!

Gorgeous stuff.  I love when people paint with style over technical perfection - please don't take that as an insult.

One of my favourite commission painters is often derided for being technically poor, but his models are striking in a very artistic/emotional way (i.e. he delivers a thematic punch without meticulous edge-highlighting and hours of wet-blending, etc.).

Really like painted minis like this.  I have zero artistic ability to mimic the style or I would. 

Thank you! And not the least bit insulted, it's very much a stylistic choice in this case. I assume the painter you're referencing is Lappat? Very much a fan of his work too.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2019, 06:46:33 PM »
Very nice stuff, really evocative.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2019, 07:11:44 PM »
Cheers!

Thank you! And not the least bit insulted, it's very much a stylistic choice in this case. I assume the painter you're referencing is Lappat? Very much a fan of his work too.

The guy I am thinking of is ThirdEyeNuke.  Very polarizing style.  He likes limited colour palettes, and a splattery Blanche-esque paint finish on things.  It's what I thought of when I clicked on this thread! :D That's not a bad thing.  What I like is that I can see your painting prowess in the pieces, but I can also tell you've chosen a particular style, a minimalist one.  I dig it.

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2019, 07:39:37 PM »
Awesome😳

Offline Nicklas P

• Librarian
    • instagram
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2019, 08:25:35 PM »
Very nice stuff, really evocative.

Thanks, Paul

The guy I am thinking of is ThirdEyeNuke.  Very polarizing style.  He likes limited colour palettes, and a splattery Blanche-esque paint finish on things.  It's what I thought of when I clicked on this thread! :D That's not a bad thing.  What I like is that I can see your painting prowess in the pieces, but I can also tell you've chosen a particular style, a minimalist one.  I dig it.

Oh yeah, I've seen his stuff. Quite effective!

Awesome😳
Cheers  8)

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2019, 04:53:59 PM »

This set of figs really captures my imagination. It's so evocative in a realistic way that really captures a dark winter day/evening. The near monochrome is so realistic under a snowy, dark sky yet there's still an unnatural light to it. It's really great. I want to build an entire undead army based on this theme :D Thanks for the inspiration.

Here's a fun comparison that I found (of course, it's fresh snow in the picture below, whereas the above figs look like they're coming out of older compacted snow, thus the bits sticking to cloaks and the uneven surface, still, the lighting comparison is pretty apt!):

Thanks
n

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2019, 08:33:22 PM »
That ghost really looks spectacular, as do the rest of the figures.