Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:06:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690715
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg64 back from the dead  (Read 126879 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones (pg17 Bolton cavalry)
« Reply #255 on: December 09, 2019, 01:07:35 PM »
Nice work, will these go in as part of a larger block with your lance-armed Boltons?

Tbh, I haven’t thought too much about orders of battle and formations....I’m not sure how much detail the books go into on formation/tactics, but I quite like the simplicity of the TV show....admittedly this approach suits a more generalist TV audience, but it also makes sense given the lack of command & control.

The Battle of the Bastards gave a good flavour of the “period”, with the cavalry operating as one mass, charging with no recall and then effectively spent as a force, the archers again operating as a single unit, and then the rest of your foot.

The honest truth is I really like the Crusader miniatures, and could quite happily just keep adding a few more when I have a spare hour or so

:D

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #256 on: December 10, 2019, 01:08:18 AM »
Looking very good sir!!
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones (pg16 Dothraki)
« Reply #257 on: December 13, 2019, 12:41:32 PM »
The Dothraki look great.

But you forgot to make their arakhs flaming. :D

Yes. Very shoddy work there... ;)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones (pg16 Dothraki)
« Reply #258 on: December 13, 2019, 08:18:18 PM »

Yes. Very shoddy work there... ;)

I’m sorry mate...I’ll try harder in future

:D

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #259 on: December 21, 2019, 12:03:01 AM »
Who makes the banners for the tentacled god?  :)

Dan
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=121598.0

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #260 on: December 21, 2019, 10:00:37 AM »
Photobucket appears to have done a hack job on your pics. Consider hosting through Imgur, there are no ads and it's a fair easier upload/link interface to use if you haven't already: www.imgur.com

Came here looking to ogle your Dothraki - am I right in thinking you used the Fireforge Mongols in large part?
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #261 on: December 21, 2019, 10:33:49 AM »
Photobucket has been having problems for the last couple of days...will see if they fix the issue over the weekend.

My Dothraki are based upon Gripping Beast Arab Light Cavalry, with various headswops, and green stuff for their furs. The weapon arms are from Frostgrave Cultists.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #262 on: January 05, 2020, 07:45:20 PM »
Photobucket appears to have done a hack job on your pics. Consider hosting through Imgur, there are no ads and it's a fair easier upload/link interface to use if you haven't already: www.imgur.com

Came here looking to ogle your Dothraki - am I right in thinking you used the Fireforge Mongols in large part?

I’ve stuck the Dothraki photos on imgur and added them into my thread on page 16, if you still want to have a look at them

:)

Will have to go back and do the same for the rest of my photos if Photobucket don’t get their act together soon  :(
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 08:23:11 PM by AKULA »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones (pg18 Trebuchets & Catapults)
« Reply #263 on: January 05, 2020, 07:53:13 PM »
Finished up my siege train - a two more Zvezda catapults, and two Iron Gate Scenery Trebuchets.

My crew are made from Frostgrave soldier bodies with a variety of heads from different sources, and green stuff furs, but I will be adding some of the new IGS crew as well. The paint scheme is intentionally neutral so I can use them for various Houses, or even a Sellsword company.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #264 on: January 05, 2020, 08:22:31 PM »
You don't hold back when taking on a project :)

Artillery compliment looks great :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #265 on: January 05, 2020, 08:34:02 PM »
Wow. Quite a lineup.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #266 on: January 05, 2020, 08:40:07 PM »
That's an impressive array!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #267 on: January 05, 2020, 08:55:19 PM »
To give variety in artillery crews, why not have a distinctive captain for each crew in house livery/uniform. To give the variety, make a few different ones then just swap them out as required. If you don't want to do that many officers, just make a battery commander.
Another option would be mantlets or pavises for the crews to shelter behind.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #268 on: January 05, 2020, 09:01:11 PM »
Wow. I've been eyeing up the Iron Gate trebuchets myself and I must say they look HUGE. You have certainly done them tremendous justice here. May I ask how they were to assemble and paint? They look absolutely fantastic in your style. How are you going to use them gamewise - the bases look gigantic...?

I like how they're true to the show in their deployment OUTSIDE the walls too :P

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #269 on: January 05, 2020, 09:29:13 PM »
Thanks everyone, glad you like them

To give variety in artillery crews, why not have a distinctive captain for each crew in house livery/uniform. To give the variety, make a few different ones then just swap them out as required. If you don't want to do that many officers, just make a battery commander.
Another option would be mantlets or pavises for the crews to shelter behind.

I plan on adding a bunch of additional Officer figures to my painting queue at some point, for the various Houses, so I’ll have at least a Battery Commander figures for each of the major Houses.

Wow. I've been eyeing up the Iron Gate trebuchets myself and I must say they look HUGE. You have certainly done them tremendous justice here. May I ask how they were to assemble and paint? They look absolutely fantastic in your style. How are you going to use them gamewise - the bases look gigantic...?

I like how they're true to the show in their deployment OUTSIDE the walls too :P

The IGS trebuchets are a big piece of kit for the price ( £14 ) - they were dead easy to paint, just gave them a quick spray brown base coat, a dark wash, and a quick dry brush.

The best bit is they come pre-assembled....the only work to do is to add the string (which is provided) - I’ve been put off of previous trebuchet kits, in part, due to the assembly time so for me this was a massive plus.

I opted for a large base in part because they are a big piece of kit....the Zvezda catapults are 1/72 but fit in well.  Game wise the range and load capacity of the trebuchet makes them potentially a bit of a super weapon, so the larger base at least creates a small deployment challenge for the user.

I’ve based the crew separately so give a bit more flexibility in their usage...I can swop in command figures from different Houses, or even field the crew figures as a makeshift unit...just need a couple of extra crew figures for each trebuchet to give me a 24-strong unit.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:47:38 PM by AKULA »