Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:38:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg64 back from the dead  (Read 127245 times)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg36 there be Giants....
« Reply #540 on: August 18, 2020, 07:44:38 AM »
The Giants are outstanding! you manage to let them look really cold!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #541 on: August 18, 2020, 06:39:51 PM »
Thanks everyone, I must confess I really like the giants, although they are fairly time intensive, and costly, once you factor in the amount of GS putty I used....just a reminder, apart from the head/hands/feet, they are mostly putty, as the originals are pretty much naked.

How do the giants scale up to the mammoths out of curiosity?

The slightly smaller variety...on the right of the picture below (which are similar in size to the CMON Savage Giants) might do as a mammoth-rider if that is what you were thinking

;)

If you were thinking of using the Ymir model on the left of the photo, then I’d probably get a Papo toy, but they are BIG, and wouldn’t really mix with the DeeZee mammoths.  I’m happy with the DeeZees, so I’m less bothered about a giant riding a mammoth....honest....

:)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 06:47:39 PM by AKULA »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #542 on: August 18, 2020, 06:40:30 PM »
Just a small update today, 3 Pack Yaks (Copplestone) for the Wildlings...only a little bit of the obligatory Green Stuff fur added to the loads.

GRRM mentions the Freefolk using aurochs to move their tribes south, and these yaks seemed like a (more) reasonable interpretation.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 06:45:05 PM by AKULA »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg37 Pack Yaks
« Reply #543 on: August 20, 2020, 09:49:33 PM »
Managed to finish the undead giants for the Army of the Night King....been sat on my desk for a while glaring at me.

They are all CMON Savage Giants...two of each variants, and all have been altered to a greater or lesser extent, with GS and or a sharp knife.

The following giant was my first attempt ....I wasn’t happy with the original model, so I cut back the head slightly to make it more skull like, and added some GS fur.

Next up, was an attempt to convert the same model...removing the tree, and changing the arm position...plus cutting back some of the clothing in the original model, and adding more fur....just noticed on this one, that I’ve missed the tusks on the front...will touch those up later.

The third one giant  is probably the one I’m least happy with...I don’t like the pose, and didn’t want to use him as a giant for the Freefolk (especially after I got hold of the Bloodrage models)...still he is done. Have painted him with the skull showing through... his back has had some of the fur ripped away, and the wounds are Tamiya Clear Red darkened up to reflect the fact that the blood has long since stopped flowing.

The fourth one was an attempt to convert the same figure...chopped up the club & added some green stuff to try to make it more treelike, hacked about the head to make it more like a skull, removed some of the cloak, and added a whole bunch of green stuff fur....oh and tilted the figure back more.

Final photo - group shot

Overall, not my favourite models by any means, but at least they are done now, and give the undead some big hitters.

:)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:43:54 PM by AKULA »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg37 Undead giants
« Reply #544 on: August 21, 2020, 07:19:42 AM »
Wow! You continue to impress. I envy your vision as well your throughput!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #545 on: August 21, 2020, 07:44:23 AM »
Great job on those giants! The paint jobs tie them together so they clearly look like a unit, yet each one is individual. I like the yaks too. They definitely add interest to the force, as well as potentially acting as objectives to capture/defend in a game scenario.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #546 on: August 21, 2020, 09:36:27 AM »
Ambitious converting!  :o

They really look the part, Matt.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #547 on: August 21, 2020, 10:43:21 AM »
Ambitious converting!  :o

They really look the part, Matt.

Agreed, you've really nailed the pallid flesh-tones as well!

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #548 on: August 21, 2020, 11:15:21 AM »
Your giants are awesome, can't even imagine where to start with something like that.

I love those Yaks, am using them in my post nuclear winter post apoc game.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #549 on: August 23, 2020, 04:49:42 PM »
Thanks everyone, your comments keep me motivated  :D

Today a slightly different update - recently fellow LAF’er Silent Invader decided to have one of his periodic clear outs of old projects, and I was lucky enough to buy c100 WOTR beautifully painted figures from him.

Generally speaking, I prefer to paint my own figures for this project, but Steve’s paint jobs are lovely, and frankly, I’ve plenty of other Houses on my list to paint for myself.

Apart from a handful of weapons that required attention due to the machinations of the postal service, all I’ve done to the following figures is make the bases a bit more wintery to fit in with my own figures, and to fit the movement trays I have for them - all of the following have been painted by Silent Invader.

Ideal reinforcements for House Tully - the infantry even have a fish banner...(Steve were these part of your own GoT project?)

The other 50 figures or so will need a few minor tweaks (only to fit into the Houses I have in mind for them), so I’ll post some pictures of them once I’ve finished.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 05:59:09 PM by AKULA »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg37 House Tully
« Reply #550 on: August 23, 2020, 05:02:32 PM »
They look great indeed. Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't Silent Invader on the GoT-train for a bit? Could explain the banner.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #551 on: August 23, 2020, 05:07:58 PM »
Storming along  8)

Stop it  lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #552 on: August 23, 2020, 05:50:14 PM »
They look great! I think Captain Blood had something similar with Yorkists doubling up as Tullys (Tullies?), it's helpfully verstaile!  :D

Are the other 50 figures in different liveries for other houses, or Yorkist Murrey-and-Blue?

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #553 on: August 23, 2020, 11:56:41 PM »
They look great :-). I especially like your cavalry :-).
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #554 on: August 24, 2020, 09:03:19 AM »
They look great indeed. Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't Silent Invader on the GoT-train for a bit? Could explain the banner.

I think you are right  :)

Storming along  8)

Stop it  lol

Nope  lol

Are the other 50 figures in different liveries for other houses, or Yorkist Murrey-and-Blue?

Different liveries - 3 distinctive varieties and a handful without specific colours.

Most will need some minor tweaks to fit in with the Houses I’ve in mind, but I’ll mention what I’ve done to change them when I post pictures later.

They look great :-). I especially like your cavalry :-).

Thanks, but all the credit for the Tully cavalry goes to Silent Invader, I just rebased them  ;)