Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:40:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg64 back from the dead  (Read 127182 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg37 House Tully
« Reply #555 on: August 24, 2020, 10:01:46 AM »
Thanks Matt. I do like what you’re doing with them  8)

The fish motif is purely a coincidence. I did have a GoT project but these were very much for WotR with my Lords derived from places local to me. The fish was for Rochford (of Anne Boleyn fame) which was originally Roach Ford.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #556 on: August 24, 2020, 11:59:50 AM »
Aaaah... I played several happy WOTR games with / against these figures and am sad that Steve has sold them on. But glad they have gone to such a good home  8)

And yes indeed, I have done the same thing, doubling up my Yorkists and Tullys - good old murrey and blue livery!  lol

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #557 on: August 24, 2020, 07:39:21 PM »
Thanks Matt. I do like what you’re doing with them  8)

Aaaah... I played several happy WOTR games with / against these figures and am sad that Steve has sold them on. But glad they have gone to such a good home  8)

Thanks both - hopefully you’ll get to play some more games with them soon  :)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #558 on: August 25, 2020, 06:14:35 PM »
...and this is the second half of the figures I got from Steve.

Firstly, House Bracken of Stone Hedge from the Riverlands.... on my todo list for sometime.

Originally, only a handful of the figures had any red, so apart from rebasing them, I tweaked the figures by adding some red to the colour scheme where appropriate, and altered the banner to reflect the House (it’s not identical but close enough for me) but the figures are overwhelmingly the work of the very talented Silent Invader.

Next up, these figures have just been rebased, no tweaks by me - purely the work of Silent Invader.

The colour scheme (for me at least) screams House Tarly of Hornhill...again, another key House from my todo list...and the first House from the Reach. As my foot are in units of 24, this only gives me half a unit, but plenty of incentive to paint more, with a similar colour scheme.

Next, 7 more figures for House Lefford....these were originally blue and white...I’ve just repainted the white as yellow to fit in with my existing figures. The blue is a slightly different shade from my existing figures, but I like the idea of new/old uniforms and so will mix these in with the rest.

Finally, the following 8 figures have had a bit more of a tweak....the white and black has been added, so they fit in with the figures I picked up from TheBlackCrane 18 months ago....originally I’d planned on using them as a Sellsword Company for Stannis, but I’m now thinking of giving them banners to represent House Foote from the Westerlands...boosting the Lannister’s....sorry Stannis!

Ok...back to kitbashing some more new figures  :)

« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 10:25:14 PM by AKULA »

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg38 Houses Bracken, Tarly, Lefford & Foote
« Reply #559 on: August 27, 2020, 12:38:12 AM »
Looking good!

Silly question but do you have a specific composition for each of your houses, like in terms of numbers of ranged/melee/cavalry?

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #560 on: August 27, 2020, 12:50:12 PM »
Silly question but do you have a specific composition for each of your houses, like in terms of numbers of ranged/melee/cavalry?

The simple answer is no, but the longer answer is below...  :D

I have standardised the size of actual units - cavalry will be 12 strong, and foot in units of 24, with characters separate - some of the new additions mean that I’ll need to paint up some additional figures to form these into units.

In terms of the composition of actual units, I’m a little bit more relaxed - I do have some dedicated bow units, but others (typically smaller Houses) are currently a bit more mixed in terms of composition....still toying with how I reflect this in the rules....for example, I’m not really fussed with what individual Wildlings are depicted as being armed with, but I’ll probably allow a unit to have some bow fire in a game. 

I like the depiction in the TV series of the Lannister’s and Bolton’s having lines of archers, but equally smaller Houses would probably only be able to muster a smaller, more mixed force. The dedicated bow units would be more deadly...afterall you’ve got some chap shouting “nock, draw, loose”  ;)

Currently I’m toying with various classes of foot troops for my homegrown rules:

Knight for those equipped with plate/full chain mail
Long spear/Pike
Bow - for dedicated units
Men-at-arms (anyone that doesn’t fit into the above)
Rabble - peasants/Wildlings etc

Obviously a 24 strong Long spear unit wouldn’t have any bow factor, but a force of men-at-arms or even a rabble might....like I said, I’m still mulling over the rules.

In terms of the Order of Battle, I don’t have a overall plan....as you’ve probably guessed by now, given how I’m flitting back and forth.

Minor Houses will almost certainly be represented by a single unit of 24 foot...perhaps contributing one or more cavalry to a unit of 12 (when combined with other minor Houses).

Major Houses seem to be heading towards 3-6 units of foot, plus cavalry, with the Lannister’s at the top end of this range, and poor Stannis probably ending up at the lower end.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:27:18 PM by AKULA »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #561 on: August 27, 2020, 01:08:42 PM »
Great Job, Matt. With the changes and the rebasing they’ve  fitted right into your project  8) :-*

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #562 on: August 31, 2020, 09:19:01 PM »
Great Job, Matt. With the changes and the rebasing they’ve  fitted right into your project  8) :-*

Thanks Steve, much appreciated.  :)

More progress this bank hols weekend, managed to build/paint a unit of Cave Dwellers for the Wildlings.

I did originally think of using Copplestone cavemen, but wanted some commonality with the other Wildling units, but enough difference to make them distinct (if that make sense?)

To this end, I used the now familiar FG Soldier bodies, but with the primitive weapons/arms from the FG Ghost Archipeligo Tribal box.  The heads are a real mix of the plastic FG Tribal sprue, resin Anvil Industry, and metal Westwind Picts/Warlord Ancient Brits.

While I’m not sure I’ll ever truly “finish” any part of this project, the Wildling force is feeling much more intimidating than a couple of months ago. Still tempted to add some spear wives, a couple more chariots, plus maybe some more mammoths with archer towers, pack yaks, camps....etc etc ... but for now at least, I’ll turn to other forces.

I’ll try and take a better group shot of the entire Wildling force, at some point, but space is limited at the moment, so hopefully this dragons-eye view will suffice for now.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 11:18:26 AM by AKULA »

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg38 Cave Dwellers & Wildling group shot
« Reply #563 on: August 31, 2020, 11:06:20 PM »
I like the look of the Cave-Dwellers, just different enough to set them apart, but still clearly part of the Wildling force!

And I count 144 Wildlings (not including the Yaks), that's a huge horde!  :o

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #564 on: September 01, 2020, 06:13:06 AM »
Epic work, mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #565 on: September 01, 2020, 11:19:50 AM »
Love the cave dwellers. Very primitive  :-*

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #566 on: September 01, 2020, 11:28:22 AM »
Stop it!  lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #567 on: September 01, 2020, 01:18:02 PM »
 Wow this is becoming quite the collection ! 8)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #568 on: September 01, 2020, 05:36:02 PM »
That's a cracking force, lovely job.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #569 on: September 01, 2020, 09:54:52 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments, much appreciated  :)

Stop it!  lol

Sorry, but I can’t help myself....  :D

I managed to finish the Cog, and even though I’d planned on using it as a Sellsail, I couldn’t resist having a go at a Targaryen sigil, since I’d already given it a dragon figurehead.  If I want to use it for someone other than the Targaryens, I can always swop out the sail, as it isn’t permanently attached (it is hanging off of a pin I drilled into the mast).

It was only after I’d taken the photos that I realised the sigil is 2mm off centre, but I guess that’s what I get for free handing it ... oh well  ;D

I’ve tried to paint the figurehead/ram with a bronze finish...I’ll let you be the judge of whether it worked or not.

@Happychappy - maybe we can have a Westerosi naval game at some point?  :D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 11:17:06 AM by AKULA »