Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:00:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689660
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg64 back from the dead  (Read 126442 times)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg29 Golden Company
« Reply #435 on: July 07, 2020, 01:41:34 PM »
They're fantastic mate. Far more interesting than the HBO series. There had better be an elephant in the works ;)
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg29 Golden Company
« Reply #436 on: July 08, 2020, 03:30:04 PM »
They're fantastic mate. Far more interesting than the HBO series. There had better be an elephant in the works ;)

Two elephants..at least  :D

I found a pair of Gripping Beast Sassanid models in a drawer the other day....IIRC I bought them years ago to be part of a VBCW circus I was assembling at the time, and as such they had no armour on, hence the green stuff.

While I admire the skill, time and effort that went into Sukhe’s war elephants (not to mention their size) I’ve opted for a lighter option in terms of protection, mainly padded armour, with some chain mail, and the odd bit of plate.

My personal interpretation (rightly or wrongly) is that the Golden Company are used to less formidable opposition in Essos, with sometimes their reputation causing the opposition to fold without a fight.

I also wanted the elephants to be a little vulnerable to missile fire, with archers having a faint chance of a critical hit, to encourage players not to leave them unsupported.

The crew will be built around Frostgrave cultist bodies.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 05:01:16 PM by AKULA »

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg30 Elephants
« Reply #437 on: July 08, 2020, 05:00:22 PM »
Nice elephants! Are those spare Perry bucklers/targes on the knees?

How many archers can fit in the howdahs?

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #438 on: July 08, 2020, 05:10:05 PM »
Nice elephants! Are those spare Perry bucklers/targes on the knees?

How many archers can fit in the howdahs?

Good spot...a bit of battlefield up armouring  :)

The howdahs are a bit cramped, so there will only be a pair of crossbowmen in each....guess I might need a few more elephants  ;)

Their main effect in the game (once I eventually write some rules) will be to disrupt the opposition cavalry (and infantry), in concert with other forces, rather than acting alone.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #439 on: July 08, 2020, 05:33:20 PM »

Their main effect in the game (once I eventually write some rules) will be to disrupt the opposition cavalry (and infantry), in concert with other forces, rather than acting alone.

That's very much in-character for the Golden Company!

Quote from: A Dance with Dragons
The horse lines were to the north, and beyond them, two dozen elephants grazed beside the water, pulling up reeds with their trunks. [spoiler-character-name] glanced at the great grey beasts with approval. There is not a warhorse in all of Westeros that will stand against them.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #440 on: July 08, 2020, 06:47:40 PM »
Nice work mate! They seem to fit the bill nicely.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #441 on: July 09, 2020, 11:59:38 AM »
Thanks both.

:)

Managed to get another DeeZee Mammoth painted up for my Wildling Army (and rebased my existing one to fit the standard-sized bases I’m using for large creatures such as giants, and the new war elephants).

The new one is on the left in both photos

Lots more screaming for attention in my painting queue....the “kitbashed” dragon, a pair of ships, the war elephants, and I’ve just found a couple more boxes worth of Frostgrave barbarians in my sprue mountain
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 12:03:02 PM by AKULA »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg30 Elephants...and Mammoths
« Reply #442 on: July 09, 2020, 12:24:42 PM »
It’s pachyderm week in Westeros!  lol

You are a machine!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #443 on: July 09, 2020, 03:25:13 PM »
 :o How are you doing these so fast! It's amazing!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #444 on: July 09, 2020, 03:35:55 PM »
:o How are you doing these so fast! It's amazing!

The mammoth is probably the quickest model I’ve painted....dark brown spray primer, brown base coat, then a strong tone wash, and finish with a quick dry brush with a light brown/off white, varnish then add snow...sorted.

Literally a couple of minutes here or there, in between some truly scintillating webcalls for work  ;)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 03:37:31 PM by AKULA »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #445 on: July 09, 2020, 08:57:45 PM »
Nice job on the deezee mammoths. I love those models!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #446 on: July 11, 2020, 07:53:14 PM »
Nice job on the deezee mammoths. I love those models!

Thanks, the DeeZee models are lovely castings, requiring little or no cleaning up. Tempted to get some more, and maybe vary the poses a bit, but not a priority for now at least.

I just wanted to highlight some excellent service from Anvil Industry - ordered some head sprues late on Tuesday evening, despatched on Wednesday, arrived on Friday - will be ordering some more as soon as I can.

Most of their sprues are modern/near future/sci-fi but they have a “shaven head” sprue in their “heroic 28mm” range that I wanted to try out....have to say I am very pleased with them. Size wise are a perfect match for Frostgrave sized minis...perhaps a little big for use with Perry (but no more than any other manufacturer, given the Perry plastics as a bit slighter build.

The reason I was after shaven/bald heads was to put together a band of Thenn. I don’t think the books describe them a# shaven headed, but I like the look of the TV version (clearly fans of the Kurgan from Highlander), and it provides a little bit of variety in my wildling force.

Built this bunch today, let me know what you think.

Bodies are mostly FG barbarians with a few FG soldiers, as are the weapons. A few Mantic Kings of War weapons/shields in there as well, although most of their stuff is a bit too big. Decided to arm them mainly with axes, few swords/knives, again to go with the brutal “butcher” look from the TV series....might paint some/all as bronze weapons...undecided at the moment.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: AKULA’s Game of Thrones - pg30 The Thenn
« Reply #447 on: July 11, 2020, 08:00:41 PM »
Very cool project.  Thank you for the size comparison.  I kept looking at the heads from anvil and did not pull the trigger as I was unsure how well they scaled. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #448 on: July 11, 2020, 09:01:03 PM »
Nice conversions! I'm impressed at how much mileage you're getting from the Frostgrave kits! Looking forward to seeing them painted up

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #449 on: July 15, 2020, 03:35:49 PM »
Funnily enough I was thinking only this morning that Anvil's heads would be a good fit for some of my knights. Thanks for confirming that for me. These work perfectly on your Thenns, they evoke the HBO look perfectly.