Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:34:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: ACW board  (Read 9548 times)

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
Re: ACW board
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 09:21:33 PM »
What about simply an 'American Conflicts' (child) board, covering AWI, 1812, ACW, future British re-conquest* etc...?

*We'll be back!
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 09:58:06 PM »
For those who haven't noticed this forum is called "the lead-adventure" forum, That means it has started (and it's boards have been arranged like that that the "adventure" theme was aimed at. Slowly more and more "regular" gaming has crept into the boards (no objection to "regular" games - I've posted pics of ours in here too) but the boards should at least be kept for what they are adventures in the specified period.

just my 2 bob.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 01:12:07 AM »
That’s a fact that the "adventure" side of the hobby should stay the main theme here. That’s the best way to find some new ideas and inspirations that we can later translate to more "mainstream wargaming"…

That being said I’m still against too much boards all over the place… Frankly we don’t need more… Even if ACW is one of my favourites periods.
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 08:08:16 AM »
Hi,

as one of the earliest members of this forum and a friend of Alex,  I believe I know what his intention was to start the LAF.

Alex aimed at something which was apperently different to all those existing forums.
He also wanted to create a place for Wargamers who share his passion for sheer adventure wargaming.

I think he succeeded in his plans and he gave us a great place to be.

Anyway...its not my intention to hurt the  feelings of those who are in the Civil War Topic. I myself like this period a lot too but I must admit, that I see it the same way as most of the other  LAF `er see it.

If youre into ACW  your posts, pictures etc are very much appreciated. Either in Old West board or the Other Adventures board. Those who love the ACW will easily spot your posts.

Thank you
Björn
, ,

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 06:40:41 PM »
"I believe I know what his intention was to start the LAF."

Can't argue with what you believe, even though its an unsubstantiated statement.

Things which don't grow and change untimately die in life, so could be true of Forum Boards.

What is the problem with having an ACW board for those interested? Those members not interested will simply ignore it, just as they do with others now ~ for example, I hardly ever look at some boards, unless the post is by someone whose work I know from more mainstream interests. But, I have no problem with them having a board to post their interests on.
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 07:25:46 PM »
What about simply an 'American Conflicts' (child) board, covering AWI, 1812, ACW, future British re-conquest* etc...?

*We'll be back!

We'll be back!!! HAHAHAHAHA! LOL - what a refreshing perspective!

ACW board? Whatever. As long as theres a crazy Confederate Walker bristling with guns..

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 07:56:13 PM »
If we're going for appeal-to-ridicule type arguments, I'd prefer David's single board labelled "Adventures" to having a separate board for every single conflict known to history or imagination, with a front page that it takes half an hour to scroll down, as you gaze at the empty echoing halls of our folly. Once you start, where does it end?

Being a little more serious for a second, if we were swamped with ACW posts I would say yes, a board for them is a good idea. As it is we get hardly any, so I don't see the point.

David says "Why not do it?" and I say "why do it?" I suppose that is the only difference between us here. I just fear the LAF becoming a messy, cluttered nightmare, and would rather be strict about it and leave things as simple as possible than risk opening the floodgates to the chaos of boards unnumbered. But it is just personal preference regarding how I would like the LAF to be from a style or design viewpoint (simple, uncluttered, bijou), I'm not saying David is wrong or anything.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:58:20 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Terrible Tim

• Scientist
    • The Wargamer
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 03:51:52 AM »
table was 12 foot wide and 18 foot long on two tables which were put seperatly for gaming, Our arms are normal sized so the maximum reach is more or less 3 foot, figures were a mix of Perry metal and plastic, Dixon, Redoubt and Foundry. This is a one man army, the result of some 20 years of painting. This was our second weekend of this kind, last year we gamed parts of Gettysburg. Results this year were : Two minor and one crushing victory for the Rebels, Rules that were used were Johnny Reb III.

Johan, may I suggest that you post a battle report in another thread. I am very interested in your battle and others will be as well and in this tread you have to search for it (as most people are discussing forums etc).

Thanks,
TT.
...Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen....

Blog: www.the-wargamer.com

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 07:08:39 AM »
David,

I give the question back to you. What is the problem with posting ACW topics in other boards ?

Starting an ACW board is nothing really new and it will not make the LAF grow or change in a better way. Iam sure there are thousands of ACW boards in the internet. Isnt that enough ?

But as I said before I dont wanna argue with you or hurt your feelings. I only had to remove the ACW topic from the T+T board.

If you have ideas for an  ACW board and really would like to moderate one please go and ask Alex maybe he sees it your way.

Besides - I believe in "HSV - AC / DC - Dosenbier" ok ? So no need to be sarcastic David.

Regards
Björn

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 04:35:56 PM »
Not aware I was being sarcastic, Bjorn, guess I must have touched a nerve. Did n't think we were arguing, either, just debating whether or not an ACW board was an idea worth pursuing.

Since its not my forum, I have to go along with what the owner says, which is fine by me. Just seems a shame that mainstream ACW wargaming is squeezed out into the margins of Wild West, but, if that suits the members that's what it will be.

At the end, its neither here nor there is it in the greater scheme of things. Keep smiling. :)
David

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 10:05:58 AM »
I think this topic must be the longest so far involving ACW-related subjects  ;)

Whilst I love the ACW, I don't feel there is a real need for a specific board. If traffic increases and one becomes necessary, I shan't complain.

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 12:43:51 PM »
table was 12 foot wide and 18 foot long on two tables which were put seperatly for gaming, Our arms are normal sized so the maximum reach is more or less 3 foot, figures were a mix of Perry metal and plastic, Dixon, Redoubt and Foundry. This is a one man army, the result of some 20 years of painting. This was our second weekend of this kind, last year we gamed parts of Gettysburg. Results this year were : Two minor and one crushing victory for the Rebels, Rules that were used were Johnny Reb III.

Johan, may I suggest that you post a battle report in another thread. I am very interested in your battle and others will be as well and in this tread you have to search for it (as most people are discussing forums etc).

Thanks,
TT.

done

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 03:03:48 AM »
This is fantastic!  I was looking to get started in teh maerican Civil War.  What a coincidence.
  My quesstion is this.  What are some of the best ranges of 25-28mm American Civil War Ranges available.  I am not impressed with the Old Glory figures and the the Foundry ones are too expensive.  I think the Renegade Range is fantastic but they appear too big and the range offered is very limited.  I'm ag=fraid that they wouldnt' fit in with any other ranges.  Has anyone tried the Redoubt Figures.  The heads look a ittle too small as the Dixon ones are too big.  I would like some direction here.
  Oh yes, I was impressed with the Sash and Sabre figures but they appear to be true 25mm.  Are there anyother ranges in true 25mm available?  Your feedback would be appreciated.
 Thank you.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 08:51:17 AM »
Perry?

That's what I'd go for these days.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 08:52:51 AM »
This is fantastic!  I was looking to get started in teh maerican Civil War.  What a coincidence.
  My quesstion is this.  What are some of the best ranges of 25-28mm American Civil War Ranges available.  I am not impressed with the Old Glory figures and the the Foundry ones are too expensive.  I think the Renegade Range is fantastic but they appear too big and the range offered is very limited.  I'm ag=fraid that they wouldnt' fit in with any other ranges.  Has anyone tried the Redoubt Figures.  The heads look a ittle too small as the Dixon ones are too big.  I would like some direction here.
  Oh yes, I was impressed with the Sash and Sabre figures but they appear to be true 25mm.  Are there anyother ranges in true 25mm available?  Your feedback would be appreciated.
 Thank you.

My personal favourites are the Redoubt range. Their heads seem fine to me and the interchangeability helps with variety. I have a few Foundry ACW and, although slightly smaller, they fit in pretty well with the Redoubts. I don't like Dixon, as the heads can be too big and they seem to have too many creases sculpted into their coats, which to me look more like they are made from linen than wool etc. That's just me, though and I know many love them.