Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:42:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689787
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Those Who Are About To Die....."  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
"Those Who Are About To Die....."
« on: November 24, 2018, 01:31:01 AM »
Greetings,

I wanted to post up some of my Gladiators minis.  These are all Crusader 28mm miniatures that I got from a US distributor.  I based them on metal washers and painted them up. 

This is the Ludus of Leptis Minoris, a small town traveling troupe owned by a Laniste known as Metallus.  Since they come from a small colony in Spain, they are mostly run of the mill slaves forced to learn the basics of gladiator combat.  Despite these humble beginnings, the Gladiator troupe has performed in various events in Spain and North Africa.  There is a mix of heavy, medium and light gladiators in the troupe. 

In front you can see their 'Star" secutor Ordinarri.  A Nubian slave who has managed to face and survive more ferocious gladiators.  This trial by fire has increased his skill and fame.  Next to him is the mighty murmillo Minoris.  Like Ordinarri he came from humble slave beginnings and managed to survive long enough to become a competent gladiator.   

The Ludus Masinissa hails from Leptis Magnus nad his named after the famous North Africa client king of Rome.  They are a newly formed Ludus and are sponsored by the local Magistrate of Leptus Magnus.  Their career has been shorter and less storied than their rivals from the colony.  However, they are all hardened fighters, and culled from Barbarian warriors across the Empire. 

I have one other Ludus that I do not seem to have photos for?  I have no idea why as it has been around longer than the Men of Leptis Minoris..... Oh well. 

Enjoy some pictures of them fighting in the arena.....

Secutor vs. Provacateur

Heavy Gladiators fighting in Pairs

Pairs fighting

Thanks for viewing.... I will need to find a picture of my other Ludus and post it. 

« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 01:35:57 AM by Easy E »
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
Re: "Those Who Are About To Die....."
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 04:52:47 PM »
Here was the first time using these guys..... this was back in January of 2017!  I didn't even have them all painted back then, and I had a terrible camera with a flash!  Eek!

http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-games-blood-and-spectacle-battle.html

An exhibition in the Forum between the Ludus of Leptis Minoris vs the Picked Men of House Quintilius.

They have had a few other scraps since then, so I will see if I can move some links over here in the next few weeks.       

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 10:32:11 PM »
Those are some cool looking miniatures.
I really look forward to doing some gladiator based wargaming someday.. ah, but the projects are ever many!

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 05:55:59 PM »
Thanks,

After that first set of games, I decided I needed to up my arena skills.  I got a big round piece of MDF used for wedding cakes.  I then painted it brown and textured it a bit to look like the floor of an arena.  I also got more fish tank Roman style columns to put around the outside of the arena.  I think that improved my play space above a white piece of cardboard. 

I then held my next games.  Recall, this was also in early 2017.....

http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-games-blood-and-spectacle-battle.html

This one featured the following events:
1. Tertiarri
2. Damnati Combat
3. Pairs 

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 10:34:58 PM »
The two Ludus squared off again in Leptis Minoris in a re-match....

Not much to say about this one....
https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-games-blood-and-spectacle-battle_22.html

The events were:
1. Beast hunt
2. Tertiarri
3. Noxi Chase

Since then, I have painted up a few more models to act as Noxi and got a bag of plastic animals for the beast hunts.