Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:23:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

?

British Cavalry Patrol - Reprise (Stevedaccs)
78 (51.7%)
Jim 'Lucky' Collins & His Crew (Wirelizard)
73 (48.3%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Author Topic: ROUND 6 British Cavalry Patrol - Reprise vs Jim 'Lucky' Collins & His Crew  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Some some shading in the first entry, but not the best photo. The brickwork in the background of the second entry is nicely done, but the bases are a bit plain...
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
The far-away shot of the cavalry is really nice; especially the contrast of the light blue with all the khaki.  The closeup shot just confuses me, as it looks like the officer has leprosy.  Am I failing to appreciate some amazing feat of painting here?

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
The brickwork in the background of the second entry is nicely done, but the bases are a bit plain...

The brickwork is actually a photo texture, I have to confess! It's a flat sheet of light card, and I created the texture in an image-editing program - and then forgot to save the seamless image, so that's the only printout that'll ever exist!

I ran out of time to do something fancier with the bases, but they're going to be pavement anyway, so I'm not sure how to make them much fancier, to be honest.

These figures are also due for replacement bases sometime - I hate, hate, hate slottabases, they're grossly oversized even when they're only 20mm wide like the Copplestone ones! These gangster will (eventually) be pulled off the slottabases, have their tabs removed, and then pinned to a penny or some thinner, sensible-sized base. I love the fact that Pulp Figures and other companies DON'T use slottabases, and I wish every company would stop using them!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God

I hate, hate, hate slottabases, they're grossly oversized even when they're only 20mm wide like the Copplestone ones! I love the fact that Pulp Figures and other companies DON'T use slottabases, and I wish every company would stop using them!

Amen.

The bizarre thing is what on earth persuaded Mark Copplestone to use the slotta system for his Gangsters range, when he doesn't use it for any of his other ranges  :?

Pity, because I would have succumbed to this superb range of character figures otherwise. But the slottas make it quite easy for me to resist!  ;)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
The closeup shot just confuses me, as it looks like the officer has leprosy.  Am I failing to appreciate some amazing feat of painting here?

Pretty harsh words, IMHO.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
The closeup shot just confuses me, as it looks like the officer has leprosy.  Am I failing to appreciate some amazing feat of painting here?

Pretty harsh words, IMHO.

Perhaps.  But they're certainly harsher when presented without the preceding sentence: "The far-away shot of the cavalry is really nice; especially the contrast of the light blue with all the khaki." 

Additionally, my question was genuine, and I was sort of expecting someone here to inform me that British officers of Indian cavalry regiments wore bi-hued gloves as part of their uniform.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Good lord, I pulled up to a tie! It can't have been the painting - perhaps it was the anti-slottabase rant?  ;)

The cavalry are very well done. Horses are damned hard work, especially covered in harnesses and such, and the blue of the turbans is great. Well played, sah!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God

Good lord, I pulled up to a tie! It can't have been the painting - perhaps it was the anti-slottabase rant?  ;)

I'm delighted to think that sharing a pathological dislike of slotta bases has had some kind of beneficial effect  ;)