Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:55:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.  (Read 58498 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.
« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2018, 09:14:08 PM »
Does Warlord have a habbit of doing that then?
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2019, 07:50:10 AM »
A few more details today as Warlord have started doing updates for each faction on the Erehwon FB page...

Ok we will reveal a little detail about each faction, one per day.

So, today, the Barbarians !!!

Barbarian warriors are the basic unit and come in groups of 5 to 10.

Their weapons are swords or axes, but they have the option to trade for spears or two-handed weapons.

They also have light armor that can be upgraded to medium armor, but what really sets them apart is access to the special "Savage" rule.

Savage is the special rule that defines this army well and allows re-rolls during the first round of combat.

Someone asked about unit options and got this response...

I can tell you that there's mounted barbarians on horses, a mammoth with a crew, chariots, and a few different units on foot.

Nothing massive to go on but hopefully more reveals will highlight more info.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2019, 08:45:20 AM »
Beastmen today...

Today it will be the beastmen!

Naturally robust and violent, the beastmen are predisposed to melee.

Their basic unit, the Beastmen Warriors, is an excellent example with their resistance of 6 and a sword or axe. They can be equipped with light armor and the following weapons; big axe, halberd or long spear. Plus, they can add the savage rule for a little more carnage.

In the choices of units you will find; Beastmen with a variety of equipment, chariots, minotaurs, centaurs, harpies and beast hounds.

I'm hoping they show off some sample warbands soon.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2019, 10:54:27 AM »
So, today, the Barbarians !!! ...................... what really sets them apart is access to the special "Savage" rule........

Today it will be the beastmen!........ they can add the savage rule for a little more carnage......

???

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2019, 01:57:45 PM »
I wonder how much special rules will factor in.  Special rules and IGOUGO are the two things that have kept me from GW games.  I don't mind special rules and attributes chosen from a list, but rules written for armies, groups, or figures turn me off.

So maybe Savage is a trait in a list, and those armies can both use it?  That might be OK for me.  (Doesn't address the issue of the rule setting on army apart, and then the next one using it, too.)

andy

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2019, 02:05:01 PM »
It does feel a bit half-hearted at the moment...

Feels like more of a Dragon Rampant style project (rules only, no attached setting or minis) than a new franchise.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2019, 02:50:48 PM »
???

Hmm...hadn't noticed that...maybe they meant the barbarians stand out from the other humans cos of the rule...?

It does feel a bit half-hearted at the moment...

Feels like more of a Dragon Rampant style project (rules only, no attached setting or minis) than a new franchise.

From what Warlord have said it isn't a new franchise; apart from the old WGF minis they aren't planning on doing any for the game.

No idea if there will be a setting in the book.

The idea is its a ruleset for fantasy warband skirmishes and players provide their own setting and background.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #127 on: January 04, 2019, 05:46:49 PM »
???

It looks as if Savage can be purchased for the models. They don’t come with it

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2019, 07:35:13 PM »
The idea is its a ruleset for fantasy warband skirmishes and players provide their own setting and background.

Fair enough, that's actually more interesting to me anyhow, I must have misinterpreted the marketing they've been doing!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #129 on: January 04, 2019, 07:49:05 PM »
:D That's the impression I got anyway...I could be wrong though...:D

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2019, 10:20:09 PM »
All seems a bit underwhelming, like a half-hearted attempt to re-do Warhammer Fantasy but as a skirmish game, as these are more popular than mass battle games these days...

The use of 'not-warhammer' races and unit types (beastmen with minotaurs, chariots and centaurs.....), along with what I consider pointless weapon categorisations (swords, axes..... the ever-present halberd......) is a bit of a turn off.

But then again, if the rules work nicely, can't really complain!

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2019, 06:24:09 AM »
All seems a bit underwhelming, like a half-hearted attempt to re-do Warhammer Fantasy but as a skirmish game, as these are more popular than mass battle games these days...

The use of 'not-warhammer' races and unit types (beastmen with minotaurs, chariots and centaurs.....), along with what I consider pointless weapon categorisations (swords, axes..... the ever-present halberd......) is a bit of a turn off.

But then again, if the rules work nicely, can't really complain!

That’s exactly what I like about it. Mordheim for small actions, Warlords for mid range games and WFB for full battle line.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2019, 07:58:46 AM »
While I used to enjoy WFB, the game sizes just got bigger and bigger, too big for my tastes. I remember years ago wishing there was a version of the game with the loose formations and smaller scale of then 40k. A bit late but it does sound like my wish may be granted :D

Two updates today, Dwarfs...

So... the Dwarves!

Typical of modern folklore, they are robust, solid, disciplined and bearded. The typical Dwarf Warrior surpasses even the elite troops of some less fortunate faction. With axes and medium armor as standard equipment, they already offer a solid infantry and with the option of giving them spears, halberds, big axe or even really big axe, it is not the options that are missing. However, what will really make your opponent cry is the addition of heavy armor to your basic infantry.

Add to all that 6 CHOICES of artillery pieces to the best equipped race in technology and you have a strong bearded band. The redheads have not been forgotten ...

There's a unit equiped with handguns

...& Elves...

Well, since it's Friday, I give you a little gift and I give you 2 for the price (free 😁) of 1.

And what better than to accompany the dwarves with their greatest friends ... the elves!

Of course, they are outstanding archers and the quality of their equipment exceeds the norm, but what distinguishes them the most is their incredible arogance that allows them to automatically succeed their first Breaktest.

Elven warriors are clearly fragile, but when equipped with spear, they remain a considerable threat especially supported by archers.

They also have rangers, a mighty cavalry, giant eagles, chariots and two war machines that take advantage of their increased accuracy.

Not a savage rule in sight ;)

There was also a couple of interesting little exchanges...

What about tattoed weirdos who flip around and have cool hair?...Well, I must admit that the list inspire a more a diciplined army, but that is more a question of perception. They don't have something that precise at the moment. Rick Preistley wrote these list with a lot of liberty for the players, so you should feel free to use any list you like and represent it with the models you like.

C'mon I need knightly order! I need an idea of what to buy!... Ok well I will give you a quick idea here
You have a lord, a champion, a court wizard, a priest, units of knights and peasants and a stone thrower. Their more detailed post is comming in 3 or 4 days.

Oooh, can you spill a bit of beans on spears, will there be a movement order to form ranks to get more attacks in?... Nope, spears can be thrown during the close up of hand to hand combat. They also have a Strike Value of 1.

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2019, 09:24:15 AM »
Oh great, a strike value of one. That's... good? Is it good?

This feels very mishandled as a release campaign.   :?

Online NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2019, 10:29:24 AM »
Sounds like an alternative game to Dragon Rampant - one of the rüdeste to bind all games like the one ring. Smaller armies, but no skirmish sounds realistic. I wished a 1000 piece dwarf or Khemri-army could be mine, but I do not have enough time and other figures... so, wait for Lord Ricks new idea, I saw pictures nearly a year ago testing this rules.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/