Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:08:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686636
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.  (Read 58034 times)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
Re: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 12:50:29 PM »
So another skirmish ruleset, not a proper massbattle ruleset... and rushed in the launch with the definitely subpar WGF miniatures. Doesn't bode well, think I will give this a pass

*eyeroll*

They've owned the minis for nearly 3 years, if thats 'rushed out' then GW are going at 'Ludicrous Speed' for their releases. As for mass battle well its a dying genre. No one has the time or space frankly. But its mass battle in the sense GW or Antares is mass battle unless you mean rank and flank in which case you've got plenty of options.

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 01:42:10 PM »
I really like that they are focusing on warband level skirmish. I just can't get on with SAGA so I hope this will appeal more.

I'm not a fan of the orcs but the skellies look promising.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 02:04:40 PM »
The ex WGF orcs are a perfect match with the GW LotR plastic orcs and Moria Goblins.  They are pretty much exact Angus McBride style models (which is originally where much of the design inspiration came from).
The skeletons are small by modern standards, but are very nicely detailed and are the only ones since the original GW Skeleton Horde box that look as if they could feasibly be the "inside" of a standard human figure.  Their almost infinite poses and lack of costume/equipment makes them perfect for accessorising dungeons or terrain

Thanks robh, just the info I needed :)

I dont think the sculpts are dated but they are old school fantasy in look, which might make people think they are old school in casting/moulding too.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2018, 02:50:06 PM »
Thanks robh, just the info I needed :)

I dont think the sculpts are dated but they are old school fantasy in look, which might make people think they are old school in casting/moulding too.

Whilst I dont know when the Orcs and Skeletons were released EXACTLY, WGF opened in 2007 so at the very utmost their 11 year old sculpts.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 04:15:09 PM »
The orcs are a bit of a heartbreaker, I think. There are two problems with them. First, the arms and hands. They grip the weapons rather awkwardly and also often sit at odd angles to the bodies. Also, there aren't any dedicated shield arms, so you're attaching shields to arms that are designed to be gripping polearms, etc. The paired arms that grip two-handed weapons are nice, though one hand lacks a thumb.

Second, the only bare head has an eyepatch. That strikes me as a very odd design choice, because it's much easier to add an eyepatch to a head than to remove one. So your orcish horde is likely to be much more uniform than you'd like, as a large proportion of its members will have eyepatches over the same eye. A two-eyed head would have worked much better.

Those problems aside, they're rather nice. I think Frostgrave gnoll arms work reasonably well with them; I'm not sure if Oathmark goblin arms do too. I used some spare GW Hobbit wolfrider arms on a couple; those worked really well, but were right-arm only.

If it's any help, I've got some photos of a few here (along with a Reaper orc and a half-orc based on a Perry man-at-arms).

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2018, 04:25:07 PM »
From the little announcement blurb it reads like a serviceable set of rules (but then I'm incredibly lenient when it comes to Fantasy rules sets ;) ). Seems to be basically WG's version of Lion Rampant and spin-offs thereof, but even more straightforward.

The main thing I like is for the Wargames Factory skeletons to return, which are by far my favourite plastic skellies out there. Never had the Orcs in hand, but from what I read here is that they're OK, but ridden with some problems earlier WGF minis are.

Either way, the prices are (as always with the WG re-releases of the WGF stuff) a bit discouraging. It was already annoying with all the Zombies stuff. We're getting close to GBP 1.00 for a plastic figure from 10(?) years ago. No matter if they throw in some rules set specific cards or whatnot in as well. Fantasy pricing is weird.

The factions read nice and classic. Apart from the Olympians, which sound tacky as heck; but somehow I suspect some repackaging and Fantasy-pricing on existing warlord figures there. ;)

The choice of going with a skirmish game is interesting. I suppose it's clever right now that Saga come out with their Fantasy book.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 07:05:47 AM »
I think I'll give the Orcs a go, if nothing else they'll be good for bits for other Orcs :)

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2018, 08:32:12 PM »
The real shame is that Warlord have chosen to increase the price by 25% and simultaneously cut the box contents by 33%
The fools!
Why oh why didn't they stick with the pricing structure that worked so well for Wargames Fac...

Oh. Hang on

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 03:36:32 AM »
The fools!
Why oh why didn't they stick with the pricing structure that worked so well for Wargames Fac...

Oh. Hang on
Thank you TWD- I was just going to make that point.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 08:58:20 AM »
 ???
It was not a pricing issue that took Wargames Factory down.  Perhaps a bit of research would help you understand.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 02:40:20 PM »
The later plastics boxes did see quite visible price increases too. On the AWI sets IIRC it was just over 50p per figure (at release); similar with the post-apoc Survivors and such.

Of course, the fact that WG re-release all these things along with the rules sets to shift the merchandise means increased prices as well, but the extent to which the figures get priced is a bit of a turn-off. I'm not saying that it's not justified (because I don't know the numbers), all I can say is that it's a bit of a turn-off.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 02:51:19 PM »
can't really understand the 'look dated' comment under the blog link (or that I've seen more generally I think).

while I can understand the overly fiddly criticism (although haven't had the figures myself), they look pretty darn good to me.
the skeletons inparticular I've always liked the look of (got the harryhausen 'argonauts' look to a tee).
like the new packaging for the game too.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 03:08:23 PM »
???
It was not a pricing issue that took Wargames Factory down.  Perhaps a bit of research would help you understand.

Perhaps providing some evidence to support your claims instead of a patronising suggestion to "do some research" would help you not look quite so bad.

My recollection of events:
WF opens with much hoo-hah about being "for wargamers" and promises of affordability (and the odd sideswipe at more expensive competitors).
WF releases some very poor (but cheap) soldiers.
WF encounters financial and supply difficulties.
WFs investors and creditors decide that the bloke who got them in to this mess isn't best paced to get them out of it and, to try and protect their investment, take over.
WF founder rages across the internet about the unfairness of it all.
WF find themselves unable to generate sufficient money to continue trading and so sell up to Warlord.

Anything I've missed?

I'd argue that the flawed pricing structure (not helped by terrible models) led to the investor takeover.
I'm aware there's a narrative about a misunderstood genius and champion of wargamers being stabbed in the back by evil(foreign) money men but from my perspective it just looks like poor business decisions leading to proper businessmen doing what businessmen do.

Warlord Games and WF started out at the same time. One with an "aggressive" and much attacked pricing structure, the other "affordable" and "for wargamers".
One is now the largest and most successful historical Wargames manufacturer in the world. The other mainly a punchline.

Offline Abbner Home

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 04:21:48 PM »
TWD -

I didn't follow the WF story too closely so I really have no idea what happened. I did buy some of their models and yeah, a lot of them are crappy. I bought them based on price. Many still gather dust in boxes so ended up not being a bargain.

But there is no arguing with the end result as you've described in your last 'graph. 

On the game at hand, the Orcs and Skellies are pretty good and fiddly as hell. I've only taken time to assemble a few Orcs and but have scavenged many sprues to convert GW LotR orcs.  The skeletons are even worse, feet separate from ankles! I've not had the courage to assemble one yet.  I'll check it out upon release and if I like it have the figs on hand. 

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2018, 06:09:53 PM »
Afaik the second version of the Skeletons were much better. Also Warlord may well have recut the sprues as they did with some of the Test of Honour stuff