Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:50:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691067
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.  (Read 58548 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2019, 09:58:32 AM »
Centaurs are cavalry...just use those rules for your cavalry minis or import a unit from another list.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline aktr

• Librarian
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2019, 11:47:09 AM »
Centaurs are cavalry...just use those rules for your cavalry minis or import a unit from another list.

a fair point
I was thinking of using Warlords ancient Assyrians for the Olympians

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2019, 11:50:24 AM »
Sounds good. From what has been said so far I think it will be fairly easy to add to lists as long as your opponent is game. I'm tempted to use the rules for Celtos and in that game there are Dwarf sleds pulled by wolves and winged siren archers for the Orcs but I think they should be easy enough to do. I guess we will just have to wait till the book lands to know for sure.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2019, 09:37:43 PM »
Orcs tonight...

The Orcs!
These bloodthirsty brutes, are the typical example. High strength, reduced shooting accuracy and the option to add some special rules that add a layer to your charge. A unit of Orc warriors who charge is sure to leave a mark.

Even Orc archers can have the "Ferocious Charge" rule, that says a lot.

Their chariots drawn by wild boars are not fast, but hits like a ton of bricks.

If you want to be ferocious on the battlefield, it's the army for you.

In addition to warriors, uou will have at your disposal; trolls, archers, boar riders, chariotss and 2 wars machines.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2019, 02:24:43 AM »
Well the rules may be different but the armies are definitely GW "inspired" *ripoff*

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2019, 03:53:41 AM »
Well the rules may be different but the armies are definitely GW "inspired" *ripoff*

::)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2019, 06:38:58 AM »
...but then Rick wrote WH Fantasy so can he rip-off himself?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2019, 07:46:44 AM »
Bahaha. True. Doesn't own the ip of WFB though. Guess I'm just sick of boar mounted orcs. Why not sabre tooth tigers or mammoths?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:49:22 AM by beefcake »

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2019, 08:18:17 AM »
Well apart from the old WGF plastics Warlord have said they won't do a mini range to support the  book so I guess they had to go with what is out already and pretty common. No reason why you couldn't tweak the rules though to fit what you want.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2019, 11:41:36 AM »
Mantic more or less copied GW, Scibor and others have made alternate models for GW armies for years so there are probably a lot of people out there with GW style fantasy armies.

From a financial point of view a ruleset that caters to all these people will be likely to sell.

The other route is to go more abstract, either like Dragon Rampant with no lists but generic unit types that you can customize with special rules or Saga: Age of Fantasy with will (according to the back cover of the book) generic lists based on cultures or stereotypes.

I want the skeletons so I might pick up the rulebook too, to see if its any good.

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2019, 12:11:39 PM »
No reason why you couldn't tweak the rules though to fit what you want.

I think the idea is more to tweak the models and not the rules, a bit like HOTT where a Horde can be a group of goblins or a group of zombies or whatever you feel it fits in the description
so, if the rules says you have orcs on boars, why not use minis with wolfs or sabretooth tigers instead of it?
In the past I've made a high elf army using japanese monks and an undead army using chinese foot soldiers painted as terracota statues... and went to WH tournaments with them
it's fantasy just play with want you want...
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #161 on: January 10, 2019, 12:24:43 PM »
Yep, that works too. Personally though I'd prefer to tweak the rules a little to fit the minis bt each to their own.

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
« Reply #162 on: January 10, 2019, 01:57:35 PM »
I am curious what I'd use for my orcs/goblins.  They are LotR Moria goblins and Uruk Hai scouts, and won't fit quite into goblins (if rules are too silly) or in orcs (because not big brutes).  Barbarians?

While there will be a few armies to choose from, it does feel like you'll have to choose one of their armies with special rules.  If they build balance into the game by having different army special rules and giving armies access to some things and not others, it may not work well to pick the units closest to your image of a particular collection of figures.

I already have Age of Fantasy from One Page Rules, and there is a point system (available from Patreon support), so I can get what I want.  But I'll want to take a look at these.  As much as I want a game to represent my figures well, what makes a game fun are the systems for story, friction, and uncertainty.   A counter pull (these happen to be dice) is one way to do that.

andy

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2019, 02:11:11 PM »
I am curious what I'd use for my orcs/goblins.  They are LotR Moria goblins and Uruk Hai scouts, and won't fit quite into goblins (if rules are too silly) or in orcs (because not big brutes).  Barbarians?

Would the game be able support something as simple as 'doubling up' with the Moria goblins? ie. use them as Orcs, but simply provide 2 Goblin models per Orc in your army list. You could then just count 2 models as providing 1 attack, remove 2 models for 1 casualty, etc..
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2019, 02:43:52 PM »

This game's being marketed with the old Wargames Factory orcs, no? Those scale pretty well with the GW LotR orcs (though not with any boar-riding models I can think of, which is odd too).