Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:32:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690927
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.  (Read 58501 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.
« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2019, 09:46:03 PM »
4 ...
I'm talking about tokens today.

Warlords of Erehwon is really well designed and can be played without the use of markers except for the "pins" of course.

However, the use of marker for some special rules and some uncommon effect will make the game more fluid and avoid many oversights.

So here are these rules:
Savage: This rule allows you to re-roll the missed hits the first time the unit fights in the game. It would therefore be convenient to use tokens that would be placed near the units with this rule and remove them as they use them.

Haughty disdain: The elves think themselves so superior that they do not accept defeats against a lower opponent. If you pay this skill to your units, they will automatically pass their first "break test" of the game. Again, a token next to the unit at the beginning of the game, which you withdraw once used, will avoid you oversights and confusion.

Divine Intervention: This rule allows a unit to steal the activation die of an enemy unit, but can only be used once per turn. Moreover, a unit that is the victim of this ability can not receive the order that was intended for it. A token that would be placed next to the victim would remind everyone that this unit can not receive the order that was intended for them and if the skill does not work, you could place the token next to the unit which tried to use it to remind you that she has already tried this turn.

Shieldwall: The mechanics of the game included placing all the models in base to base contact to indicate the use of this skill, but a token could make the thing visually clearer and especially prevent confusion in the situation where certain model would be moved by accident.

Spells: Many spells have a duration that is not instantaneous (until the end of the turn or until the magician moves). Having a marker to remind everyone that a spell is taking effect on the table right now will always be a good idea.

"Miscast": Several miscast have lasting effects such as the famous transformation into an invulnerable frog. A marker to remind this fact could avoid forgetting in what state your Prince Charming is.

Trolls and maybe more later: The trolls have a projectile attack that can become short of "ammo", a marker that you can removes when the unit can no longer make use of this skill would be a simple and effective way of keeping track of it.

Routing: When a unit fails a "Break Test" it becomes routed and must flee toward your table edge. Although it is very easy to know which unit is routed during a small game, remember that it is a very mobile game and that it will not be rare to observe units that turn back towards an enemy who threatens the back lines. A token indicating routed units could reduce confusion during larger games.

Finally The Wounds: Again, the game include in its mechanics a way to mark injuries by keeping a permanent "pin", but it is very easy to forget this fact during a rally that removes more "pins" than necessary and simply remove the pin marker forgetting that you must keep one or more.

There were some pics of unofficial tokens that one of the playtesters has done (and are selling) on the FB page.

Personally I'm not a fan of needing tokens and cluttering up the board; I guess that may be one reason why I prefer smaller games. Looking at these though I'm not sure any are really needed.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #226 on: January 23, 2019, 08:14:57 AM »
Noticed on one guys blog he had received the book already. Maybe we will get a proper review some time soon. As a non-warlord games player, though I have dabbled in bolt action style games, I am still unsure on this.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #227 on: January 23, 2019, 09:12:00 AM »
Hopefully.

Just did a quick search and found a demo game Battle Report...

Not watched it yet though.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #228 on: January 23, 2019, 10:44:21 AM »
Had a quick skim, looks pretty good, straight forward gameplay but with plenty of crunch to make the factions unique. I like simpler rulesets, but dislike all factions being identical which is the feeling I get with Rampant. Looking forward to more reports on this now, it's gone up a point on my interestometer.  :D

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #229 on: January 24, 2019, 08:15:03 AM »
Finished the video this morning and I can say that it definitely looks good to me, have loads of ideas.

Just found another video, this time a bit from Rick on the game...

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #230 on: January 24, 2019, 08:41:29 AM »
Overdue, good start, hopefully they will put more out. If you are familiar with Antares and Bolt Action, you already know all this. But if you are a diehard fantasy player, wandering in the wilderness after the Olde World was destroyed, you might know absolutely nothing about those games. So an obvious follow up would be to briefly describe the mechanics. Handy for us old gamers too, trying to convince others to get into it.  :D

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #231 on: January 24, 2019, 10:08:28 AM »
It does seem a bit odd to put a video out advertising the pre-order just a few days before the books actual release...did someone forget to do it earlier?

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #232 on: January 24, 2019, 10:27:04 AM »
believe it or not, it's only after watching the Priestley video that I get the 'Nowhere' thing ... ! I actually quite like that they've made that the title. Enough to encourage me to buy the rules, where I probably wasn't going to otherwise ... go ... figure ...

Offline jamopower

• Bookworm
    • My blog
« Reply #233 on: January 24, 2019, 11:53:34 AM »
I just got a notification from Warlord games that my package has been shipped. So actually saw that video advertising the pre-order later than the actual pre-order, but oh well. It's starting to look good, the gameplay video was nice. Seems that there will be lots of abilities for ignoring pinning in combat for various effects and pretty many units seemed to have some sort of shooting attack as well (centaurs threw spears, harpies threw rocks, etc.) to put in those pins. I would believe there are some sort of intimidation skills for the factions with less shooting.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #234 on: January 24, 2019, 12:10:55 PM »
We saw a pre order at our club last night, lovely looking book and just might hit the spot, tried bolt action didn't enjoy it, antares but went nowhere (see what I did) at the club but think this will do the job nicely

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #235 on: January 24, 2019, 07:20:35 PM »
Got mine two days ago, read it this morning.

Good: it's very much the same feel as WFB 2-4e lightly modernised with d10s and pinning etc, magic and magic weapons are in it enough to add colour without being combotastic or herohammered, and it's at the early 90's scale of a couple characters, a couple regiments and a war machine or monster (anyone who remembers the era of WD145 +/- 10 or so will get it). There's a ton of silliness (in a good way) written in and it'll surely play very well.

Bad: the force lists are a bit samey, not very deep or extensible (without homebrew of course), and a bit too stuck in the 70's for my liking. Three human factions (and the greekbthing just feels wierd sorry) but elves basically only means high elves, orcs and goblins are separate, and i don't get why gnolls aren't just beastmen but ratmen don't make it? Trollslayers and goblin fanatics exist, wardancers don't? For a book with no world framing it, I was expecting more flex. I was also dissappointed to see that the incredibly granular points and equipment systems of wfb are still here, which i personally would've rather left behind for warband scale games.

Ugly: the book itself. This really doesn't feel like a 30 quid product, with a hash of reused artwork from hail caesar(!), what looks like bad deviantart, and just really spartan layout and design. Compare with the frostgrave books or even just random Osprey books.

Overall, it looks like something i'll play and enjoy but only with homebrew lists, and if f-saga turns out to be solid you'll find this listed in the bazaar.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #236 on: January 24, 2019, 09:56:30 PM »
Only 2 days before the official release!

I've been through the book now (extremely concisely), but that does not mean I have nothing to say.

After trying some games, I can give you some advice on the composition of your armies and especially what to watch out for.

First, magic is really not something you should underestimate. Including a magician is not an obligation, but consider that the magician, even if he does nothing with his own magic, remains your only defense against well-used witchcraft. I've seen hoplite units decimated by the Chill Wind spell that ignores their armor and shieldwall ability.

Second, it's fast! Your infantry will have to fight with the enemy from turn 2 and some cavalry will sometimes have the opportunity to trample a victim in the first round!

Thirdly, it's a tactical game, if you go head-on everything will depend on the dice, but if you support your troops well and you orchestrate your maneuvers well, you will have much more success.

Fourth, no one is invincible, do not think that having a resistance of 10 on your chariot puts you in a safe position, be vigilant against the archers, a resistance test is a failure on a result of 10 even if you are a dragon with a natural resistance of 15.

That's the little generic advice, tomorrow I'm talking about army composition! 😃

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #237 on: January 25, 2019, 09:31:08 AM »
Thanks for the mini review waitwhat  8)

Good: it's very much the same feel as WFB 2-4e lightly modernised with d10s and pinning etc, magic and magic weapons are in it enough to add colour without being combotastic or herohammered, and it's at the early 90's scale of a couple characters, a couple regiments and a war machine or monster (anyone who remembers the era of WD145 +/- 10 or so will get it). There's a ton of silliness (in a good way) written in and it'll surely play very well.

I am definitely loving the size of the warbands. I'm not completely sold on pinning (no idea how that works in this system) or on the Order Dice mechanic...while not strictly alternate activation it does kinda seem like play could be bitty with units working individually rather than being able to have units work together, say two units simultaneously charging the same enemy unit.

Bad: the force lists are a bit samey, not very deep or extensible (without homebrew of course), and a bit too stuck in the 70's for my liking. Three human factions (and the greekbthing just feels wierd sorry) but elves basically only means high elves, orcs and goblins are separate, and i don't get why gnolls aren't just beastmen but ratmen don't make it? Trollslayers and goblin fanatics exist, wardancers don't? For a book with no world framing it, I was expecting more flex. I was also dissappointed to see that the incredibly granular points and equipment systems of wfb are still here, which i personally would've rather left behind for warband scale games.

I'm sure I have heard that Rick is working on more lists (including ratmen) so maybe other Elves are in the future and I haven't owned a fantasy army in maybe 20 years so I'm not so bothered that some of the older lists aren't covered. From what I've gathered the gnolls have no cavalry and are individually faster than beastmen. I'm not sure what you mean by a granular points system.

Ugly: the book itself. This really doesn't feel like a 30 quid product, with a hash of reused artwork from hail caesar(!), what looks like bad deviantart, and just really spartan layout and design. Compare with the frostgrave books or even just random Osprey books.

This does sound like a shame... though such aesthetics can sometimes be subjective. How is the proof reading?

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #238 on: January 25, 2019, 09:46:09 AM »
Proof reading certainly is better than the facebook teasers...

About granular points - compare saga or foo rampant which are basically pointing at a unit level in round denominations with goblin = 3 points +1 point shield +1 point spear x 15 + 12 pts for leader (no book in front of me so made up on the spot for illustration). Basically saying a unit works out to 293 points just feels incredibly arbitrary, old fashioned, and makes me question the rigour of the balancing. I haven't specced up armies yet though so maybe i'm wrong and ymmv.

I don't think it matters much if Rick is writing new force lists - for an open world, it just seems like the wrong approach. It will never cover everything or fit everyones visions.

One other ugly I forgot was it feels like a very naked transplant of GoA or bolt action or whatever and I'd really havd preferred a cleaner fantasy take even if it meant warlord had to commission new dice. Do fantasy units really get "pinned"? Do they go "down"? (Stop it)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #239 on: January 25, 2019, 10:09:58 AM »

might well give it a miss for this reason alone tbh, - at least will wait to get some more impressions from others I think.