Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:24:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.  (Read 58465 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.
« Reply #240 on: January 25, 2019, 10:14:25 AM »
Proof reading certainly is better than the facebook teasers...

About granular points - compare saga or foo rampant which are basically pointing at a unit level in round denominations with goblin = 3 points +1 point shield +1 point spear x 15 + 12 pts for leader (no book in front of me so made up on the spot for illustration). Basically saying a unit works out to 293 points just feels incredibly arbitrary, old fashioned, and makes me question the rigour of the balancing. I haven't specced up armies yet though so maybe i'm wrong and ymmv.

I don't think it matters much if Rick is writing new force lists - for an open world, it just seems like the wrong approach. It will never cover everything or fit everyones visions.

One other ugly I forgot was it feels like a very naked transplant of GoA or bolt action or whatever and I'd really havd preferred a cleaner fantasy take even if it meant warlord had to commission new dice. Do fantasy units really get "pinned"? Do they go "down"? (Stop it)

I'm glad the proof reading is better.

Ahh right I get you on the points...to my mind though points per unit would work better with larger scale games where units are more likely to be more unified whereas warbands are more likely to be irregular. Each to their own though.

From what Rick says in the video above this was written / adapted from Antares for him and his mates and while Warlord are releasing it they aren't supporting it with minis and dice (except what they already have) so I guess he had to work with an existing framework. No idea yet on how the different lists look or play...I will just have to wait till my copy arrives from Wayland.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 10:50:19 AM by Lost Egg »
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline jamopower

• Bookworm
    • My blog
« Reply #241 on: January 25, 2019, 10:38:06 AM »
As far as I have understood, Bolt action is played around here mostly without points (and it is played quite a lot), as the points are so off in many cases. I don't play BA myself, but I have noticed the same thing is very much true in Antares.

Offline aktr

• Librarian
« Reply #242 on: January 25, 2019, 10:57:18 AM »
I also much prefer the more granular points system.
I have heard Rick is currently working on 3 more factions Ratman, Dark elves and something else

I think worst case if they will be free PDFS but hopefully we'll get a supplement at some point down the line

in the mean time I'll probably start making me own fan lists.... once I have the book that is

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #243 on: January 25, 2019, 11:37:49 AM »
Agreed, pdfs are better than nought but a book would be cool.

I fancy adjusting the lists for the Celtos ranges as that game seems to be dead and I do love me some Celtic myth.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #244 on: January 25, 2019, 05:57:12 PM »
As a matter of interest, how exactly does the Down dice work? No sniggering at the back there.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #245 on: January 25, 2019, 06:09:11 PM »
I think you don't move but gain a bonus for being harder to hit. It kinda reminds me of Shape's Waterloo where unit of men would lie down to avoid being seen or make them harder to hit.

I don't have the book though so could well be wrong.

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #246 on: January 25, 2019, 06:36:46 PM »
A down order is the fallback for a failed order, but can also be deliberately given. It removes a pin and risks being stuck on the order next turn. Haven't seen any other benefit to it yet!

Edit, after further reading:

Somebody mentioned coordinated actions - there's a "follow" attribute which lets units act en masse (to a limited degree).

Also in the could-you-not-just-have-changed-the-word-to-fit-the-setting category: "sprint".

Noticing a few typos now... and getting more irked by conspicuous omissions (unicorns? mounted wizards?)

There's some decent deviantart as well as crap :D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 07:20:13 PM by waitwhat »

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #247 on: January 25, 2019, 07:38:23 PM »
I'm in, just ordered my copy..
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #248 on: January 25, 2019, 08:04:07 PM »
I've ordered a copy too. I haven't played Beyond the Gates of Antares but I enjoy Bolt Action and already own the order dice and a ruck of fantasy models so why not?

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #249 on: January 25, 2019, 10:12:54 PM »
Had an email from Wayland to say my copy is on its way :D

Tomorrow!!!!!!!

To continue a little on my run of yesterday.

I strongly recommend not to deprive your force of the wizard in your army, but that nail has been amered many time.

Shooting, archers, ballista, catapult or any option that seems entertaining to you. Shooting has two functions that must not be neglected.

The first and most obvious, the shooting can reduce the strength of your opponent before it charge you, it is obvious and remember, one or two less enemies will not hurt you.

The second function may be less obvious, but it is essential. You will add pins to the enemy units and this pressure will make all the difference. Not to mention that your enemy may fail a command test because of a pin, you have the opportunity to destroy units if you accumulate enough pins on them. In addition, your opponent will be more hesitant to throw himself in the fray with a unit that already has 2 or 3 pins, because it is the pins who determines who wins the fight.

Flying creatures are fast, dangerous and extremely difficult to manage. If you can play one, it's a great idea, if you do not want to add a monster to your strength and you do not have access to flying creatures, make sure you are equipped with heavy, numerous, serious firepower or have offensive spells, because flying creatures are expensive in point, but they are worth it. Acquiring air superiority is not a luxury in this game.

Finally, for today, the cavalry, it is generally very resistant and very fast, but very impotant when facing long spears. In addition, a good cavalry is very expensive so you must use it wisely, choose your targets well and do not expose to the heavy fire of your opponent.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #250 on: January 26, 2019, 09:52:51 PM »
Just spotted on FB that the 3rd list Rick has been working on is Demons.

...am still waiting for my copy...  :'(

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #251 on: January 27, 2019, 10:51:14 AM »
Just spotted on FB that the 3rd list Rick has been working on is Demons.

...am still waiting for my copy...  :'(

I thought they were very deliberately not approaching demons or chaos of any stripe for distancing reasons?

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #252 on: January 27, 2019, 12:50:39 PM »
Nope Rick has confirmed a few times now that he is currently working on frog / lizard people, demons and ratmen.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #253 on: January 27, 2019, 03:06:48 PM »
I am chuffed there are going to be more lists, hoping for Landsnechkt fantasy and human mercenary forces

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #254 on: January 27, 2019, 03:18:42 PM »
From what I've read here then it would seem to be relatively easy to convert the armies from the 3rd edition hardback WFB armies book which had a lot of nice armies in it.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin