Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:10:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 589
Total: 594

Recent

Author Topic: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.  (Read 58481 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.
« Reply #255 on: January 27, 2019, 03:29:31 PM »
Yeah it does seem to be designed for that. Its a shame that so many classic GW minis would have been awesome for this game but they are long OOP and expensive or difficult to find in significant quantities...does anyone have a time machine I can borrow?
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #256 on: January 27, 2019, 04:38:41 PM »
Black Tree's fantasy figures are pretty much designed for making WH3ed armies.

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #257 on: January 27, 2019, 04:46:23 PM »
Yeah it does seem to be designed for that. Its a shame that so many classic GW minis would have been awesome for this game but they are long OOP and expensive or difficult to find in significant quantities...does anyone have a time machine I can borrow?

Foundry do...

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #258 on: January 27, 2019, 06:11:07 PM »
Thanks, just had a look at both of those then realised I was was thinking of 4th ed minis so these feel a little too old school for my tastes. Cheers though :D

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #259 on: January 28, 2019, 10:31:14 AM »
I thought they were very deliberately not approaching demons or chaos of any stripe for distancing reasons?

Less distancing reasons, more “it was a pain to wedge them in” from what I read in an RP interview. Assume that must have been due to deadline reasons for the publication

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #260 on: January 28, 2019, 02:35:41 PM »
A lot of the feedback thus far seems to fit a scenario where the game is 80% ready and has been squeezed out in a bit of a rush to meet a tight deadline with publishers. Not the first game to do this, won't be the last. Expect a 2.0 version in 2020!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #261 on: January 28, 2019, 05:29:15 PM »
A lot of the feedback thus far seems to fit a scenario where the game is 80% ready and has been squeezed out in a bit of a rush to meet a tight deadline with publishers. Not the first game to do this, won't be the last. Expect a 2.0 version in 2020!

If f-saga is any good I doubt they'll get a second chance on the market, and I suspect it's also a factor in pushing it out quickly

Offline CommanderBaker

• Bookworm
« Reply #262 on: January 28, 2019, 05:44:09 PM »
First post on the forum, longtime lurker.

Got my copy a few days ago. Live in the States. Quick background, I never played Warhammer Fantasy but always wanted to. I play Bolt Action, Saga and ME SBG. Saw this and decided to Jump on it. Have an army for Knightly Order and For Orcs. Knigthly Order Army is all Perry Agincourt and WotR figures. Orcs are GW LotR.

Played a game last night. Seemed Pretty even, Knights pulled out a victory. Size felt right, speed of play was pretty good given the need to keep looking up rules on a first play through. Basic units did feel a bit samesy but the scenario (Pillage the Village) was fun.

I don't think the pin mechanic should be called 'pin', seems more like shaken or exhausted, or rattled.

If the enemy has cav you absolutely need long spears. wizard feels like a must take.

Had fun, going to play a few more games, but still interested in F-Saga if only to at least see the rule set. But im itching to play a really large game of WoE

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #263 on: January 29, 2019, 11:05:07 AM »
If f-saga is any good I doubt they'll get a second chance on the market, and I suspect it's also a factor in pushing it out quickly

I dont see F-saga hitting the exact same crowd.  This seems to be "Got any fantasy minis lying around and dont want to play big rank battle with ?"  compared to "Do you play Saga and want to buy our overpriced dice ?"

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #264 on: January 29, 2019, 12:14:58 PM »
As opposed to the overpriced Order Dice  ;)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #265 on: January 29, 2019, 12:39:21 PM »
As opposed to the overpriced Order Dice  ;)

Which you dont actually need, since you can literally pull a token out. The Saga dice on the otherhand claim you can run with just the numbers but realistically you need the symbols.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #266 on: January 29, 2019, 01:29:01 PM »
The saga dice contain just three symbols, which translates to using a d6 with faces 1-3, faces 4-5 and faces 6 being the symbols. The order dice contain six different faces. So how does that make Saga more complex?

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #267 on: January 29, 2019, 01:34:40 PM »
Either way once you have the dice your set...though I guess the SAGA dice are board specific (though shared with multiple boards).

I'm none to bothered and will likely use counters at first till I grab me some dice...minis are more important at the mo :D

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #268 on: January 29, 2019, 01:39:22 PM »
The saga dice contain just three symbols, which translates to using a d6 with faces 1-3, faces 4-5 and faces 6 being the symbols. The order dice contain six different faces. So how does that make Saga more complex?

Because specific combos need specific symbols and its easier to glance at them then think for a second whilst the Order Dice are frankly unnecessary.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #269 on: January 29, 2019, 02:21:08 PM »
I dont see F-saga hitting the exact same crowd.  This seems to be "Got any fantasy minis lying around and dont want to play big rank battle with ?"  compared to "Do you play Saga and want to buy our overpriced dice ?"

I agree that Sage: Age of Fantasy and Erehwon are different enough that they arent direct competitors, but for different reasons.

"Got any fantasy minis lying around and dont want to play big rank battle with ?" works for Saga too.

"Do you play Saga and want to buy our overpriced dice ?" Considering how many complaints there were at the inclusion of fantasy miniatures in the Saga Book of Battles, I think a large part of the Saga community will ignore the book and it'll effectively end up being a seperate game, which just happens to share the Saga mechanics.

And we dont yet know what kind of Saga dice the fantasy factions will use. It might be a brand new set (or more sets) of dice.

I think Saga: Age of Fantasy is more of a competitor for Dragon Rampant, as both systems use generic unit types. Saga then adds some special rules for the army as whole, where Dragon Rampant lets you add special rules to each unit.

Erehwon, from what I've read, has lots of different unit types. Making it more of a competitor for Warhammer 9th age or Kings of War, but not a direct competitor because of the skirmish scale.