Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:53:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.  (Read 58024 times)

Online TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
Re: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2018, 06:51:33 PM »
To be fair quality of models generally improved as time went on and the Skeletons are probably the best of the bunch. WF struggled with skin and clothes, so the skellies, lacking both, were win/win.
Incredibly fiddly though.

There was some stuff to admire about what WF tried. They were the first to really tackle using digital sculpts for organic materials (the above mentioned clothes and skin) for instance. At that time GW was only using digital for vehicles. However their attempts showed up the limitations of the tech of the time (and the skills of their sculptors). Now lots of sculptors take advantage of some of the digital skills WF pioneered.

What they lacked IMO was calm business minds to reign in some of the enthusiasm and put them on a sound financial footing. Hence my initial post about Warlord having a better handle on how to price things.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:20:24 PM by TWD »

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 12:38:24 AM »
Perhaps providing some evidence to support your claims instead of a patronising suggestion to "do some research" would help you not look quite so bad.

My recollection of events:
WF opens with much hoo-hah about being "for wargamers" and promises of affordability (and the odd sideswipe at more expensive competitors).
WF releases some very poor (but cheap) soldiers.
WF encounters financial and supply difficulties.
WFs investors and creditors decide that the bloke who got them in to this mess isn't best paced to get them out of it and, to try and protect their investment, take over.
WF founder rages across the internet about the unfairness of it all.
WF find themselves unable to generate sufficient money to continue trading and so sell up to Warlord.

Anything I've missed?
Actually, you missed quite a bit.

After Reidy raged across the internet, Wargames Factory continued to become one of the best plastic manufacturers in the business.  They continued producing the stuff made during the Reidy era and put out new stuff starting, IIRC, with the Apocalypse Survivors.

They then went on to produce (as a contractor) Dreamforge Games` entire HIPS line, Wyrd's entire HIPS line, and Kingdom Death's entire HIPS line.  There may be others that I am unaware of.  They still produce for Wyrd and Kingdom Death, but less so for Dreamforge (and possibly not at all any longer).  What they decided they didn't want to do any longer is produce kits of their own and direct retail them.

That is when Warlord stepped in and purchased some (possibly all) of their in house lines.  WGF didn't shit the bed, and Warlord are certainly not the business tycoons you seem to want to make them out to be.  They bought an unwanted line, had their names cut onto the bases, and tripled the price.  It might be a bit much to say they are screwing their customers, but...they`re screwing their customers...

YMMV of course, but it is kinda hard to read that any other way.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:01:21 AM by eMills »

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2018, 12:51:32 AM »
Perhaps providing some evidence to support your claims instead of a patronising suggestion to "do some research" would help you not look quite so bad.

My recollection of events:
WF opens with much hoo-hah about being "for wargamers" and promises of affordability (and the odd sideswipe at more expensive competitors).
WF releases some very poor (but cheap) soldiers.
WF encounters financial and supply difficulties.
WFs investors and creditors decide that the bloke who got them in to this mess isn't best paced to get them out of it and, to try and protect their investment, take over.
WF founder rages across the internet about the unfairness of it all.
WF find themselves unable to generate sufficient money to continue trading and so sell up to Warlord.

Anything I've missed?

I'd argue that the flawed pricing structure (not helped by terrible models) led to the investor takeover.
I'm aware there's a narrative about a misunderstood genius and champion of wargamers being stabbed in the back by evil(foreign) money men but from my perspective it just looks like poor business decisions leading to proper businessmen doing what businessmen do.

Warlord Games and WF started out at the same time. One with an "aggressive" and much attacked pricing structure, the other "affordable" and "for wargamers".
One is now the largest and most successful historical Wargames manufacturer in the world. The other mainly a punchline.
You're talking about Defiance Games there, not Wargames Factory. So before you accuse others of looking bad maybe you should get the facts straight yourself.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mac V

• Bookworm
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2018, 01:44:11 AM »
So.....

Any news on the actual game today?

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2018, 03:55:20 AM »
I was paid by WGF to paint their figures for marketing purposes for around two years, right up to the point that the 'new' owner shifted gears. I had frequent contact with the members of the US team.
The Chinese owner decided he no longer wanted to do the marketing and development for WGF ranges, and pay relevant staff- and instead went for a quick cash influx from a deal with Warlord. The WGF ranges were doing well but he shifted focus and would rather make stuff for other people (Wyrd, Kingdom Death, etc.) because there is less risk if a product doesn't sell- he's not sitting on product. 
My understanding is that the wargames industry was small chips for him anyway (the parent compant makes medical parts). The shift was quick and bewildering for the US personnel working for WGF because the sets were getting better, more detailed, covering bases no one else was, and were selling well.

The orcs were an early release from WGF (Tony Reidy days) and are okay, but they need a lot of work. They fit well with Oathmark. I mixed and matched them together for an entry in the last LPL.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 03:58:30 AM by Dr Mathias »
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2018, 06:55:51 AM »
Just a little reminder to try and keep this about the original subject matter please. It's all interesting stuff but I imagine most people looking at the thread largely want to find out about the game, the miniatures, etc.
Thank you

Online TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2018, 08:15:19 AM »
You're talking about Defiance Games there, not Wargames Factory. So before you accuse others of looking bad maybe you should get the facts straight yourself.

*Checks facts*
The original company that made the skeletons being discussed and acted in the ways described above was called Wargames Factory.

IIRC Defiance games was the company set up by the founder of WF after he was bought out.

So, about this checking facts thing, how's that going for you?

Online TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2018, 08:21:20 AM »
Actually, you missed quite a bit.
<Snip>

All of which is very interesting but happened *after* (and was a result of) the initial flawed pricing model that WF launched with.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2018, 08:37:22 AM »
I'm reasonably interested in the skeletons, I believe they were retooled after the original horror story - the ankle bone connects to foot bone days. The prices are off-putting, don't know the politics involved but do know what I am prepared to pay for minis and it comes down to cost quality ratio for me. If the price is higher than average then they have to be better quality than average.

The orcs have an interesting aesthetic but the poses are too wooden for my liking and the hands are something I just do not contemplate, not sure why so many gamers put up with that weird hand/claw monstrosity.

I am really most interested in details on the game though, got loads of minis here waiting for action.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2018, 09:13:20 AM »
I think where the orc minis fell down was the design of making the torsos reversible. I have a bunch and like them. But a more stooped pose would be good or at least something resembling proper anatomy.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2018, 09:49:06 AM »
*Checks facts*
The original company that made the skeletons being discussed and acted in the ways described above was called Wargames Factory.

IIRC Defiance games was the company set up by the founder of WF after he was bought out.

So, about this checking facts thing, how's that going for you?
No, it was Defiance who acted the way you described, so it's going fine for me. Now, I'll follow Elk101's advice.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2018, 11:49:40 AM »
The FB page has updated.

. Not the greatest quality but you can make all the detail out.

Online TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2018, 11:55:30 AM »
No, it was Defiance who acted the way you described, so it's going fine for me. Now, I'll follow Elk101's advice.

*Sigh*
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wargames_Factory

Let me know if there's any other facts I can check for you

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2018, 12:04:55 PM »
I'm just here for the popcorn.

I think the skeletons are good (a real 'Jason and the Argonauts' flavour), but not for that money.

The orcs are okay, great imagery, but the poses are too action-figure for my taste … and not for that money.

The Warlord Games 'buy and burn' wagon keeps a-rollin'.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2018, 12:32:56 PM »
I wish they would decide how they intend spelling Erehwon/Erewhon, even their own advert differs.