Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:55:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691057
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.  (Read 58544 times)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.
« Reply #180 on: January 11, 2019, 04:38:22 PM »
Nah those terms are old and I think they'd be unlikely to do Order Dice specific to a game that they aren't going to release many minis for.

I agree. I suspect it is just going to be D10s in a bag with different colours for each side

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
« Reply #181 on: January 11, 2019, 04:45:55 PM »
While I haven't played any of Warlord's dice-draw games, I don't see why you'd draw dice at all if they weren't going to use them to show what you did with a unit.  For years I've drawn counters and used the counters to mark units that have been activated.  (We used to do that in Shock Force / WarEngine.)

I bet they are going to use order dice (seems intrinsic to the games), and might as well use them to draw.  But if they didn't, I'd imagine you'd just draw counters.

andy

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #182 on: January 11, 2019, 04:54:51 PM »
Rick has already said the game uses the Order Dice mechanic.

If I remember correctly from Antares both players put an Order Dice of their colour in the bag for each unit. Players take it in turns to choose a dice, the player who owns the dice then gets to activate a unit and leaves the dice next to the unit to denote what they did.  This carries on till all units have been activated.

You could easily do all that with counters of course but the dice make it a bit easier.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2019, 08:22:29 PM »
Yeah, I just mentioned counters because someone suggested you might draw d10s.  I think if you didn't need orders dice, you would draw counters instead of dice.  But I expect dice.

andy

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2019, 09:43:38 PM »
Some info on movement...

The movement is very similar to Gates of Antares, but I do not teach you anything there. Where it gets a little different it's the effect of some special rules such as Fast, Slow and several other rules that prevents sprints or reduce its efficiency. We also have rules such as zombie that have some limiting applications on the unit's displacement and spectral undead that completely ignores difficult terrain and obstacles.

However, what is out of the ordinary is the rule that allows units to fly. These units are incredibly powerful thanks to this rule and cost a lot of points even for a simple harpy. One reason is that you can not charge a flying unit if your unit does not fly to. There is still a lot to say, but I can not sell everything before the book is released.

Apparently they are gunna continue to reveal snippets up to the books release on 26th.

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #185 on: January 12, 2019, 09:53:46 PM »
Combat..

We are 14 days from the fateful date!

And today I'm talking about the hand to hand which is split in two stages.

During the charge there is the missile exchange which represents the troop that uses shooting weapons at the approach of the enemy, followed by hand-to-hand combat itself.

If you know Gates of Antares, there is no secret for you.

What will have the most impact is obviously the weapons, some can serve in both phases, some can serve in the exchange of missiles only if you are charged by your enemy and I would like to mention that all the weapons will adapt better to some strategies than others, but none is inferior.

It is possible to have a "second round" of close combat, but at that moment there is no more missile exchange.

The loser of the fight will then have to carry out a morale test to avoid being routed.

A beautiful mechanic of the game, allows a unit to make a rally order to try and rally friendly routed units nearby.

In conclusion, melee is an effective and simple mechanic, but you will have a lot of decision and subtlety so that each melee will be crucial.

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #186 on: January 14, 2019, 01:36:09 PM »
On the Erehwon FB page they have shown off an actual page from the rulebook...

https://www.facebook.com/WarlordsofErehwon/photos/a.1115386791952502/1146910592133455/?type=3&theater

..looks good to me.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #187 on: January 14, 2019, 02:33:41 PM »
Would it be asking too much to hope for the re-release of the WFG Amazons (even at double the original price...) while they're at it?
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #188 on: January 14, 2019, 02:48:02 PM »
I'm partial to the Crocodile Games Amazons meself.

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #189 on: January 14, 2019, 09:41:05 PM »
Monster, monster!

12 days before the big day! Let's talk about monsters.

There is a bit of everything, the book is very large with almost 250 pages and unfortunately, Rick Priestley said himself that there was not enough space to put everything he wanted .

So I can tell you that Rick is already planning 3 more armies and if we all get together to make Warlords of Erehwon a great success, we will certainly get a lot more!

As far as monsters are concerned, I must first of all tell you that most of them have 3 distinct costs depending on their loyalty to your Warband. There is the cheapest that is "Wild", you can lose control during the game. There are also monsters who are "Bond", they have the opportunity to abandon you during the battle if you are unlucky. Finally, there are the monsters who are "allies", you will pay more, but they will be more reliable. That said, they are not trained troops and monsters never take advantage of the command abilities of your heroes and commanders.

In the list you will find the most expensive creature of the game, the dragon, allied for 440 points, a truly monstrous beast with a resistance of 15.
You will also find an WILD ogre for only 28 points.

There's also; BASILISK, COCKATRICE, CHIMERA, CYCLOPS, GHOULS, GIANT, GIANT RATS, GIANT SCORPIONS, GIANT SPIDERS, GIGANTIC SPIDERS, GOLEM, GRIFFIN, HIPPOGRIFF, HYDRA, MANTICORE, SWARMS, WYVERN, GIANT TREEMAN. TREEMAN/DRYADS, TROLLS, CAVE BEAR, BRONTOSAUR, TYRANNOSAUR and HORNED DINOSAURE.

The 3 ways of hiring monsters sounds interesting.

It also sounds like monsters can serve as a mount for a character.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:43:31 PM by Lost Egg »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #190 on: January 14, 2019, 10:02:29 PM »
No Jabberwock, no comment.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #191 on: January 15, 2019, 04:57:35 AM »
I'm partial to the Crocodile Games Amazons meself.

They are pretty for sure. Thx for the tip.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #192 on: January 15, 2019, 06:23:22 AM »
Right. I think I'm sold on this.

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #193 on: January 15, 2019, 07:34:41 AM »
Apparently Rick has written 3 other army lists; Ratmen, Lizard/Frog Men & another (the poster couldn't remember the 3rd one).

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #194 on: January 15, 2019, 06:59:44 PM »
11 days ...
Today, I'm talking about orders. You have the same 6 orders that you will find on all the dice of this type at Warlord Games.

Advance, which allows you to move 1x of your standard movement and make use of a shooting weapon.

Run, which allows you to move 2x your standard move. You can also sprint with this order, but you must pass an agility test or have a pin. It is under this order that the charge is possible.

Fire, which allows you to make use of your shooting weapons with a bonus for the time your troops spend aiming.

Rally, which allows your troops to reorganize themselves by decreasing the number of pin that afflicts them.

Down, for those who want to enjoy a little longer their cover.

Ambush, which allows you, if you pass an initiative test, to interrupt your opponent and react to what he was trying to do. You can choose any action for your reacting units. Yes you can have a fight where both sides have charged.

This is where models with the Hero special rule come into play by sharing their high initiative value..