Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:09:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.  (Read 58015 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Warlords of Erehwon, Warlords new fantasy game.
« Reply #210 on: January 20, 2019, 09:09:02 PM »
Well they are literally next door to each other in the same industrial estate in Lenton so shouldn't be difficult to arrange  lol
Shipping to and from must be a bugger

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #211 on: January 20, 2019, 09:23:45 PM »
6 days ... 6 DAYS !!!!

The buildings!

This is the only terrain element that applies a penalty to the to hit roll of shooters and gives a bonus bonus to the resistance of troops that occupy it. If you have powerful enough weapons, you can fire at the building itself and damage it or even destroy it. There are also rules that cover the possibility of smashing barricaded doors and setting the buildings on fire .

If your building is high enough it can be declared as a high ground and allow you to see over the surrounding terrain. Note that high ground is not required to be a building, it is like everything else, you determine the various impacts of each element of scenery before the start of the game to avoids many surprises.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2019, 09:42:04 PM »
Today there's only 5 days left before the official date, but some pre-orders have begun to arrive!

We will talk about the 7 basic scenarios that are in the book.

1 Upon the field of battle
Classic, we settle one face to the other and we kick each others most tender parts.

2 A bloody encounter
The classic, but with the addition of the possibility of bringing some of your forces by the flanks.

3 An unexpected encounter
One of the two armies must cross while the other must prevent it. Simple?

4 The watchtower
There is one who occupies the tower and the other who does not agree. It is a good scenario to try the high ground rule and rules about buildings.

5 Pillage the village
One player must burn or loot it and the other must defend it. This scenario is really fun for pyromaniacs.

6 The sacred relic
This is another classic, but it offers a different approach to the positioning of the table and I promise you that the game will not run as you wish.

7 The rogue beast
The last scenario of the book. Yes there is a wild beast on the table and both forces want his heart. So you will have to deal with a monster that thinks you are lunch and an opponent who may also thinks you are lunch.

Most of the scenarios have a variable limited duration and classic victory conditions, but a little more elaborate. That said, they provide an excellent base and offer a lot of inspiration for designing dozens additionnal scenarios.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2019, 08:13:42 AM »
I cannot find anything official about this game on the actual Warlord Games website. Five days to go and we have had a fairly bland press release. Am I missing something, is there a video/article/interview with the guys somewhere? You would think they would get something a bit more polished out, this fan stuff is enthusiastic but it's kinda offputting too. Maybe that's just me.

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2019, 08:24:46 AM »
Yeah its is very odd. I would have thought they would get Rick to do an interview or something. I much prefer that the fan page on FB is releasing some info than to not hear anything at all. There is an old interview with Rick, search youtube for Fantares, that looks like it was done at a convention or something.

I can only assume this is, in Warlords eyes, a very minor release with only the two plastic sets (just because they had them anyway). I think they reakon only existing Bolt Action & Antares players will buy in.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2019, 08:33:14 AM »
I can only assume this is, in Warlords eyes, a very minor release with only the two plastic sets (just because they had them anyway). I think they reakon only existing Bolt Action & Antares players will buy in.

Well they may be missing a huge opportunity here. There's a gap in the market for fantasy games that appeal to the old WHFB crowd. Some have got on board with AOS, but many are still looking for a system. I can't help thinking of Wargames Foundry God of Battles - book released then fade to oblivion within a couple of years. Mind you, maybe they still think that gamers will think for themselves and do their own thing - some will of course, but I always get the impression that the majority prefer to be handheld. If they released a few preview pages and maybe sketched out ideas for how they will support it in future, many more people would sign up. At the moment it comes across as very half hearted and is not boding well for future commitment. To me, YMMV.

Offline jamopower

• Bookworm
    • My blog
« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2019, 09:15:46 AM »
There is a gap, but I feel that the gap is pretty small. At least as actual business goes. We are talking about a margin of a margin in a pretty marginal hobby overall and there is also already a lot of competition in that margin of a margin.
I would say that Age of Sigmar and rerelease of Midle Earth SBG take already a major chunk of potential players (the Fantasy margin of the overall hobby). Then the Kings of War and 9th age are the biggest players in the "old whfb" group. After those there are Saga, Oathmark and such on the next step and a lot of small simple universal rulesets like Dragon rampant, Mayhem, Havoc, etc.) and more importantly a lot of models out there already and more under kickstarters. I would presume that the model sales are the part that brings the income, but also the fixed costs are high on that side bringing a big risk. I would say that it has some indication on the amount of potential sales that GW is still selling some of their fantasy models with square bases, i.e. they still have boxes in storage from pre-AoS era unsold.

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2019, 09:23:36 AM »
Well they may be missing a huge opportunity here. There's a gap in the market for fantasy games that appeal to the old WHFB crowd. Some have got on board with AOS, but many are still looking for a system. I can't help thinking of Wargames Foundry God of Battles - book released then fade to oblivion within a couple of years. Mind you, maybe they still think that gamers will think for themselves and do their own thing - some will of course, but I always get the impression that the majority prefer to be handheld. If they released a few preview pages and maybe sketched out ideas for how they will support it in future, many more people would sign up. At the moment it comes across as very half hearted and is not boding well for future commitment. To me, YMMV.

I know what you mean.

Personally I don't see it as a gap specifically for old WHFB players but rather the size of the game, as most are either skirmish or big battles. I much prefer the size of game that WoE is aimed at; I don't have loads of dispensable income, the time or indeed the inclination to build a massive army. I'd much rather build a warband size force and then if I like the game build more forces of a similar size and maybe a few extra options.

Given that Warlord was started by ex-GW people I am a little surprised that they aren't doing a range of minis to go with it...though I can understand why not. The range of fantasy plastics is growing so maybe they feel the market is flooding. In some ways though I'm not too bothered as their minis don't quite work for me.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:25:26 AM by Lost Egg »

Offline jamopower

• Bookworm
    • My blog
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2019, 09:34:58 AM »

Given that Warlord was started by ex-GW people I am a little surprised that they aren't doing a range of minis to go with it...though I can understand why not. The range of fantasy plastics is growing so maybe they feel the market is flooding. In some ways though I'm not too bothered as their minis don't quite work for me.

There seems to be a certain flood. In addition to GW's offering of two ranges (AoS/WHFB and MESBG) there are at least Avatars of War, Oathmark, Fireforge, Mantic, Alternative armies and those old kits that Warlord are selling, plus a lot of historical ranges for human armies. Then on top of that, all of the metal, resin and Reaper Bones. This quote from the 9th age board sums it quite well:
In the Miniatures Tab there are currently all sixteen factions clearly listed. I counted each faction's listings and roughly, give or take ten or so listings either way, there are about 200-300 individual mini. company links for unit listings for each faction, for a grand total of about 3,200-4,800+ total mini. company links. They cover practically every unit, monster, and character in the game. The devs. of this game have models COVERED and COVERED WELL.

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2019, 09:54:34 AM »
Aye and Fireforge have got their Forgotten World Fantasy plastics coming in May and they are going to be releasing other factions (beyond the Northern humans & Undead of the KS) including heavily armoured humans, dwarves, orcs and elves.

As long as I like WoE I should be able to build a couple of forces for the game from my Forgotten World KS pledge.

Offline jamopower

• Bookworm
    • My blog
« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2019, 11:33:01 AM »
I also pre-ordered WoE and I have a project ongoing for an Elven army that I'll build so that it can be used for Dragon rampart, Saga, WoE and maybe even AoS and with regiment trays, also for rank and file games that don't care about individual models.

In addition to that I already have fantasy humans and Undead already for use in similar fashion and I also participated in the Fireforge KS for the latter.

I have to say, that this is a good time for a fantasy gamer.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2019, 01:23:28 PM »
Good times indeed.

I meant in my post that Warlord are missing an opportunity to sell more copies of the book. I don't think they will develop a fantasy range, just try to flog some of the old wargames factory stuff. There is a surplus of fantasy models around, so not much point in competing there. The fact that they are stocking Oathmark figures reinforces this - they are just selling the book. So why not hype it a bit? Three videos with Rick explaining an overview, a brief rules summary, and maybe extracts from a battle. Ten to twenty minutes each, would take them a day tops to put together. Put that out on social media, sit back, orders flood in cos RP has that reputation. That's got to be a better approach than the current complete and utter silence, it's like they are trying to sneak it out with only the current customer base knowing about it. Reach out to a new customer base, not all fantasy wannabees will have bought Warlord stuff, there's new recruits just sitting around out there, oblivious to this book.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #222 on: January 22, 2019, 01:49:52 PM »
And if the marketing budget is tight ask Beast of War (or something similar) to do a battlereport, send a few copies out to bloggers for review etc.

It seems silly to rely on word of mouth with so much cheap/free access to social media.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 01:54:09 PM by Munindk »

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #223 on: January 22, 2019, 02:27:55 PM »
Definitely odd. As you say Munindk...why not send out copies for review. I was surprised when the book went up for pre-order that I couldn't find any reviews or interviews on it...beyond an old Fantares interview.

I'm sure Beasts of War would lap it up.

Offline jamopower

• Bookworm
    • My blog
« Reply #224 on: January 22, 2019, 06:24:29 PM »
Yeah, that is indeed very sloppy. Similar video like they had with the new edition of Black powder would have been great.