Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:30:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689738
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

?

Chaos Munchkins (SvennnDHnut)
57 (33.3%)
Col. Lettow-Vorbeck (Ray Rivers)
114 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Author Topic: ROUND 6 Chaos Munchkins vs Col. Lettow-Vorbeck  (Read 6162 times)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: ROUND 6 Chaos Munchkins vs Col. Lettow-Vorbeck
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 01:22:52 AM »
As a side note. Liked these both, but the Colonel is a hero of mine, so I voted for him, ultimately.

Just wanted to point out that horses in East Africa were rarely used for military purposes. The Tsetse fly was rampant, even through WW1. That's why I lobbied forever to get somebody to do German colonial troops mounted on donkeys and mules, and finally resorted to converting Foundry Belgians for the role, in some cases.

-Doc

Yes they had. There is also a photo, I think somewhere in the LAF, of germans disguising a horse to a zebra!
Or you can mount some on zebras, too!

I think that were very few horses avilable in DOA. However some historians claim that the "success" of the germans is that they had more veterinary doctors than the whole allied army that was after them and also their livestock was more accustomed to the climate and conditions. On the other hand the allies suffered thousands of losses in their livestock and thus halted their campaign advance.
argsilverson

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 03:31:54 AM »
Although I admire your steady hand Ray, in my opinion the eyes actually detract a little bit from this entry.

True enough.  I'm still having trouble with the eyes.  I'm working on it, but painting the eyes is one of those things that I more often get wrong than right.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
Argsilverson: It was I who posted the pic of the zebra disguise ruse. But it wasn't the Germans, it was the Brits: The East African Mounted Rifles to be precise. Cavalry seems to have been more common on the Entente side of things. In addition to the EAMR, there were South African mounted brigades that operated in East Africa. Because of the Tsetse fly, the turnover of horses was staggeringly high.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 11:20:27 AM »
Argsilverson: It was I who posted the pic of the zebra disguise ruse. But it wasn't the Germans, it was the Brits: The East African Mounted Rifles to be precise. Cavalry seems to have been more common on the Entente side of things. In addition to the EAMR, there were South African mounted brigades that operated in East Africa. Because of the Tsetse fly, the turnover of horses was staggeringly high.
You are right.
In fact the german bearers did an enormous job carrying on their heads all these supplies.
It could be interesting to see v. L.-V. mounted on a zebra!!!!

But let's not steal this thread from the very good job SvenDHnut and Ray Rivers did in this entry!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 01:08:38 PM »
Svennn I thought you're Munchkins were excellent.  A very interesting study in color.

Good luck in future rounds of the League.