Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:36:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New WWI documentary "They Shall Not Grow Old", anyone seen it yet?  (Read 6778 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Re: New WWI documentary "They Shall Not Grow Old", anyone seen it yet?
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2018, 02:20:48 PM »
Don't wish to weigh on on the debate roaring away, just to note that I saw the film and was blown away. Go see it if you can. I'm not a fan of Jackson's usual stuff but this is great. The Imperial War Museum went to the right guy.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2018, 02:45:52 PM »
I'm feeling left out.  Limited release here in the Dominion, it's showing locally on 27 Dec, 10am showing with 105 seats booked and only 5 seats left.  Of course I'm working on that day.  Perhaps this is telling the distributors that there is interest in the film outside of the UK so even if they don't run it again in the cinema they should at least release it on Region 1 DVD.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2018, 09:55:46 AM »
The expert discussion can be posted and followed here
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=114055.0

Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2018, 05:17:54 PM »
I was lucky enough to grab a ticket for the 10pm Dec 27th showing and the theatre was about 70% sold out so it was definitely busy considering it was the late showing.

I was blown away by the footage, PJ did an amazing job with the footage. It was very real and I was a little surprised with how graphic it was. Given, it didn't bother me, id seen all those shots 100 times over but the women beside me was pretty squeamish!!  lol

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2019, 04:04:18 AM »
Update on my previous post.  The film is being screened again but this time for a week (starting Feb 01), I managed to pre-book tickets and saw it here in London, Ontario tonight.  I went to the regular screening as opposed to 3D.  The cinema was full except for a couple of seats right down the front, which TBH are pretty crap seats anyway.  My recommendation - go see it it's excellent, and stay for the 30 minute extra that runs after the final credits, a short 'How they did it' feature.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2019, 05:07:46 PM »
Saw it this weekend on the big screen.  It's getting limited screening here in USA, for a week, and includes an additional half-hour after the credits, wherein Peter Jackson explains how they made the picture.  As an example of the kind of detail and pains they took:  Jackson has a collection of WW 1 artillery - "as one does" - and they recorded the sound of the breechblocks closing to get that authentic sound .  The rendition of "Mademoiselle from Armentieres  heard at the end of the film was a scratch "chorus" of British diplomats from their embassy in NZ who recorded it after Jackson requested it - because he didn't think NZ accents would be authentic).