Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:55:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Speed Painting Horses  (Read 1325 times)

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
Speed Painting Horses
« on: December 02, 2018, 05:49:49 AM »
I've just  finished a load of Napoleonic Horses - mostly 15mm Ab but also some 28s

I used a speed painting technique that I've tried to illustrate with photos on the blog

https://valleyboyinnz.wordpress.com/

I hope it makes sense or is of interest or even use!

Now I've got to finish the riders!
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
Re: Speed Painting Horses
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 08:28:16 AM »
I hate painting horses.  Like you, I've found that various shades of brown with a dark wash seem to work best and is fairly quick.

While you do need to pick out the tails etc, if you use darker browns you often don't need to bother painting the tack. Just a light dry brush to pick it up.
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 09:45:39 AM »
Super tutorial, I hate painting cavalry so will be using this. :)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 05:29:57 AM »
Reasonable result.  Painting to a 'standard' only works for contests.  For the table top, fast is the goal - I'm happy with 'adequate'.  A finished figure on the table in game after game runs circles around a figure in a display case (in my opinion) as lovely as that figure might be.

Might I recommend a variation on your core 'layer' painting technique (which it seems what your are doing).  Prime with red brown spray paint (for brown toned horses).  Paint your base coat - with the variations of different horse colors if desired.  Use a thin wash of a darker color and apply liberally and then sponge (artist sponge works best) off most of the paint leaving a light mottled effect.  If you want to go so far, add a tiny bit of white to the base coat color and mix really, really well and add highlights.  I generally skip this step - but maybe for generals it might be worth it.

Then points and then markings and then equipage (saddles, tack, blankets, etc.).

Layer painting is pretty good.  First layer after primer dries slops on.  Only a tad bit neater with the next layer.  As the work progressives get more careful.  And, of course, all honest painters admit to the touch up phase that fixes problems during the 'production' phase of painting. 

I measured my 15 mm ACW production years ago and I was getting one figure done in roughly six minutes per figure - but painting full units with several on the go at once.  Not spectacular figures but workable. 

One trick that works for me is to always start by painting the basic flesh color first, then the hair color (now I just do the same color for the whole unit - maybe several units).  By the time I add the first uniform color the figures start to look like something and that helps keep up the enthusiasm.

I don't get why just because a few people can paint spectacular figures the rest of us are supposed to try and match their efforts.  I think the goal is a fun game shared with camaraderie.  Besides, I have neither the patience nor the skill for the 'artistic' paint job but I can do a paint job that meets the 3' rule and gets enough praise to flatter my ego.

And to date after 30 years plus of miniatures gaming I've never heard one complaint about an 'adequate' paint job during the heat of 'battle'.

Oh, and I land in the camp where painting is a pleasure rather than a chore and get a real kick out of painting horses - more mileage for the effort than painting uniformed figures.  Winning a game is fun, losing a game can be fun, but sitting back and admiring a finished unit I painted is the penultimate reward in the hobby.  But maybe I'm just weird!   :o

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 10:49:29 AM »
Interesting technique, but I wouldn't call that speed painting, I'd call that slow painting.
My horse painting technique is:
1. Undercoat in sandy brown
2. Apply various shades of brown, grey or black over undercoat. Some are a solid colour, some applied thin to let undercoat show through. Roan horses have tails and manes painted the same colour as the coat, bays and duns have tails and mane in black (actually I use Payne's Grey). This is all done fast with a big brush, changing paint colours as you go and cleaning the brush seldom if at all.
3. Paint reins, saddles, straps etc.
4. Wash with peat brown ink

That's it. The end result looks nice. The ink wash at the end really highlights muscles and gives the results some depth.
Painting an army is a very different thing form painting a single figure!

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 07:33:22 AM »
Interesting technique, but I wouldn't call that speed painting, I'd call that slow painting.

Thanks
I called it speed painting because it is pretty quick!