Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:17:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690589
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dr Marcus (Progress Thread Now with Pictures!)  (Read 9456 times)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: Dr Marcus and the Strange Case of the Nazis in Cairo
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 10:47:16 AM »
Andy
Now you have seen the problems I am having taking photographs. lol

I have seen these figures in the flesh so to speak and the photos don’t do them justice.
These are some of the first figures Andy has painted. They are a lot better than my first attempts which had only single flat colours with no highlights or shading. (Andy you will have seen some because we still use some of them as DnD characters)
The Prof Harun figure is very nicely highlighted and as stated above will look good from the normal viewing distance. Digital photography is a pain. :'(
These ones are getting better and better every time I see them. (I’ll not talk about the fluorescent American sniper ;))
“Practice makes perfect” as the saying goes. :D

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 11:02:34 AM »
Andy
Acouple of picture from the LPL for reference for American uniforms.
GI's

Airborne

I am sure if you search throuh the forum or the web you can find loads of others

Colin

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 03:49:46 PM »

I have painted the US infantry in gamer Mac first photo. If you need infos on the colors I used I have taken notes while painting them so I can post it here if you need to.
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 07:49:35 PM »
Another picture, this time of Jack Avery... Please excuse the painting and photography skills, this one is just a quick shot.

Yup still not finished, I'm not sure of the skin it looks too pink. I've been using GW Dwarf Flesh with a GW Ogryn flesh wash, what else can I do to make it look better? Perhaps highlight with elf flesh? Or am I using the wrong base?

Andy
Now you have seen the problems I am having taking photographs. lol

I have seen these figures in the flesh so to speak and the photos don’t do them justice.
These are some of the first figures Andy has painted. They are a lot better than my first attempts which had only single flat colours with no highlights or shading. (Andy you will have seen some because we still use some of them as DnD characters)
The Prof Harun figure is very nicely highlighted and as stated above will look good from the normal viewing distance. Digital photography is a pain. :'(
These ones are getting better and better every time I see them. (I’ll not talk about the fluorescent American sniper ;))
“Practice makes perfect” as the saying goes. :D

Wow might praise indeed, thanks Colin. Photographing the models brought home to me just how untidy a painter I was, and how many mistakes I made although it was still a shock. I've still got a very very long way to go to be anywhere near your or your brother standard!  :D

As for photography, wow its difficult. I thought that I could take an OK photograph but this is something else. Plus I'm using a borrowed compact which isn't ideal- eventually I'll get the camera of my dreams!

I have painted the US infantry in gamer Mac first photo. If you need infos on the colors I used I have taken notes while painting them so I can post it here if you need to.

Actually Calimero, that would be fantastic although sadly I'm limited in what colours I have.  Although I could try and pick some new colours up  :D

Cheers
Andy

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 08:28:28 PM »
Here they are... All color are from Vallejo’s Model color serie except those cited otherwise…

Helmet = Brown Violet
Helmet Chin Straps = Red Leather
Uniform coat = Khaki, Citadel’s Thraka Green Wash, Khaki highlight 
Trousers = US Field Drab, Dark Brown painted in the recess, 50/50 US Field Drab and US Tan Earth mix highlight
Boots = Leather Brown
Gaiter and equipment = Khaki from the Game Color range (which is closer to Buff than that the Khaki of the Model Color serie)
Wood part of the weapons =  Mahogany Brown
Metal part of the weapons = Citadel’s Chaos Black, highlight of a 50/50 blue and grey mix
Flesh = Vallejo’s Game Color Elf Skin, Citadel’s Ogryn Flesh Wash, Elf Skin highlight

As they are 20mm and the helmet rest pretty low on their faces, I didn’t paint the eyes you just can let the Wash show in this part of the faces.

You can  use this Internet address to know the equivalent color from one range to an other: http://colors.silicon-dragons.com/full_line.php a VERY useful tool!!!

The best colors are always those that you find the most adequate… You're always your No 1 critic!  ;)

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 08:34:27 PM »
Thanks for the list Calimero, and also the excellent site. Hopefully I'll be able to post a picture of the American's soon. And yes as GMac said, my American looked as though he came back from a disco (Although I still liked him lol)

Cheers Again
Andy

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 06:38:08 PM »
I visited B&Q today looking for cork tiles, sadly I couldn't see any (a quick web search showed hat only Wicks sell them) although I did walk out with this

After a quick test I'm really happy with the results. I'll be using it as a city board. Perhaps before I sprayed I should have primed the board black; although this should be rectified with another coat later.

For £7.00 I think its a bargain

Cheers
Andy

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 08:41:53 PM by oldskoolrebel »

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 11:01:16 AM »
I think the color is great. Streets are actually more white than black. A very light grey. Only very freshly paved streets seem to be black.

About your question about skin color.

I usually start out with something like elf-flesh, use lots of brown ink and use a mixture of elf-flesh and sand (bone white?) as highlights. In some cases I even use pure sand as the last highlight. My minis tend to be a bit on the pale side.

But normally people are a lot paler than the colors we are able to buy.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 12:14:13 AM »
Try the GW foundation "Tallarn Flesh" colour. I really like it and it doesn't look too pinkish like the other GW colours. Its good for slightly tanned looking figures.

Cheers
Kieran

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 12:01:04 PM »
Flesh tone: I started with very dark brown, then I paint Dwarf Flesh avoiding the sides of the nose, eyes and the mouth line.
Then a highlight 50/50 Dwarf Flesh / Vallejo Basic Skintone.
And a final highligh with 25/75 Dwarf Flesh / Vallejo Basic Skintone.

Hope this helps,
Marco

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline gharak

• Librarian
    • Aegeus: Age of Mythical Battles
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 09:53:46 PM »
I actually use GW snakebite leather as a base for rugged skin, inked with brown wash and highlighted with Vallejo Model Colour medium fleshtone.

I find this gives a nice weather beaten look.

G

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 03:22:08 PM »
Thanks all for the advice.

I'm running a bit behind on this project, what with work, Uni and life getting in the way! *Shakes fist*  lol I hope to be abe to get back on course over the next week or so.

Even as we speak I've started to produce the first buildings (using Matakishi's excellent cork building tutorial! Thank you it's truly an inspiration). I don't expect them to be fully painted for the first game (if we play).

Painting wise I'm away behind. I've almost finished painting the Chicago University Archaeological Society (to a gaming standard anyway). Sadly the model i was going to use for Captain H. Black was miscast, Colin took him away to see if he could do anything to help him- although I'm not sure that he'll be able to. Below is a picture of what the model should be like! Sadly on my version the legs are especially weak at the join to the boots and even simply by lifting, you're in danger of snapping him.

I've not touched the Americans yet (Despite everyone's help) and the gangster models lie undercoated. Hopefully I'll get some painted very soon.

Cheers Andy
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 03:43:51 PM by oldskoolrebel »

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
Move on a bit, and I've now finished 'painting' the Sarah O'Connor model! And I've started painting some gangsters. The gangsters are a bit different from what I've been painting upto now- for one thing they tend to be predominantly one 'main' colour!

We're playing the first game on Wednesday, so I've still got alot to finish! (and start!)

Wish me luck
Andy

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
Progress update... I've emailed the scenario to Richard for his opinions, I've also got all the gangsters and a few yesteryear vehicles... still to paint  :'(. Hmm I might see if I can paint the 'basic' base colours and add more detail to the models later.

I've also purchased a camera... but it won't arrive from Jessops for a while  :'( so I think I'll miss pictures of Wednesday's game.

@Gamer Mac... Colin do you have two gangsters with hand guns?? If so can you bring them on Wednesday please? Also spoke to your bro today and told him we're playing at mine.
Cheers
Andy (Who'll be being really sad and building/painting all day tomorrow.)

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
Re: Dr Marcus (Progress Thread Now with Pictures!)
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 03:31:03 PM »
Finally I can get round to posting a few pictures of my work... please be kind remember I've not been doing this for long!

First up is the Archaeologists. group shot

I've attempted eyes, but I'm terrible so I tend to paint over them again with a flesh colour

I'll list the individual pictures of miniatures in the order which I painted them in.

^Dr Marcus the president of the society

^Professor Harun Al-Omar

^Wullie Murphy

^Jack Avery

^Sarah O'Connell

^Another view

OK, so these are the first shots with my new kit, and they miniatures have been used in games that is why some are chipped!

Cheers
Andy