Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:56:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Good poses and missing units for 1914  (Read 10141 times)

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
Re: Good poses and missing units for 1914
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2018, 02:38:47 PM »
Its sort of surprising the lack of attention given to the Austro-Hungarians. I believe a range of them would have quite the potential. Appearance wise they provide dash, performance wise not so much. But that has not stopped gamers/collectors purchasing armies in different eras(cough napoleonics).
Brigade Games have a lot if cool stuff on their site like their (limited) packs of Austrians, but the shipping rate from USA is a killer. Wish more of their packs were available on this side of the pond.

I tink a main obstacle has been the lack of interets in the frontiers they fought. And when people do east its usually Germany vs Russia. Affairs such as Galicia is epical as Tannenberg, but have been given less attention.
A game of a German and Austrian-Hungarian forces pitted against the Russian bear would be quite a show.
Especially if the cavalry is present ;D

If anyone is interested in co-operating on commissioning Austrian-Hungarians or other Please send me a PM.
Steve Barber does the sculpting. A infantry sculpt is 165£.

By the way, I have heard rumors of London Scottish Highlanders are in progress.;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 01:02:56 PM by Gribb »

Online armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2018, 11:59:57 PM »
A game of a German and Austrian-Hungarian forces pitted against the Russian bear would be quite a show.
Especially if the cavalry is present ;D

See the link below to a game I had a few months ago. Mostly against my friends Germans but you just about make out some Austro-Hungarians in the first few photos. Sorry no cavalry.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=111790.0

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2018, 12:46:30 AM »
See the link below to a game I had a few months ago. Mostly against my friends Germans but you just about make out some Austro-Hungarians in the first few photos. Sorry no cavalry.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=111790.0

Thats a great layout. Love the terrain. Looks like good game. No cavalry but cool looking game still.
Thanks for sharing :)

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2018, 04:43:12 PM »
How about poses of soldiers of opposing sides interacting friendly or non-combat situations. Inspired by both the Christmas truce and this clip from They shall not grow old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUReYO2n06w&t=163s

Exchanging headgear, sharing a drink, talking, etc. (1:45-1:50 and 2:50).

Some fine examples by various manufacturers:

Dixon Miniatures:

Michigan Toy Soldiers:

Battlefront Miniatures:

Tommy's War:

Offline Irishrenegade75

• Schoolboy
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2019, 03:12:50 AM »
Prone figures are not something I would want more of...But charging :-*

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2019, 04:33:56 PM »
Prone figures are not something I would want more of...But charging :-*

Each to their own taste. I think prone figures are quite useful to depict more modern combat when taking cover is essential.
A prone line of British infantrymen awaiting the German masses is quite typical 1914 scene in my opinion.

As for charging figures there will be more of that ;)

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2019, 07:25:16 PM »
"Charley's War" by Pat Mills and Joe Colquhoun, has some very memorable characters. Some of which seem wonderful options for conversions. Bill Tozer and Smith 70 to name but two.

And I have to agree, such figures give character to a collection or tabletop army.  :D
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2019, 07:29:21 PM »
As ever, I also totally missed to actually make my point. German soldiers in greatcoats, or a mix of gear would be nice. Fixed bayonets perhaps, seeing as the situation in the trenches left some to go for comfort over uniformity. Perhaps even a few rag tag units like snipers covered in plants or other forms of camouflage like the first ghilie's and such.

But that is only my opinion of course!

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2019, 09:15:08 PM »
As ever, I also totally missed to actually make my point. German soldiers in greatcoats, or a mix of gear would be nice. Fixed bayonets perhaps, seeing as the situation in the trenches left some to go for comfort over uniformity. Perhaps even a few rag tag units like snipers covered in plants or other forms of camouflage like the first ghilie's and such.

But that is only my opinion of course!

Thanks for the input. These are great suggestions actually, but for a bit later period.

This range is geared towards the early months of 1914 before it bogged down to trench warfare in the west. With cavalry coming up soon. Still, consealed snipers can applied by using the prone infantry and cover them with terrain plants. There will also be added a headpack of 15 individual heads with the pickelhaube. Plans for adding another with the fieldmutze with some of the different variants. A lot including officers seemed to have preferred this cap so it seems a natural addition.

Next upcoming infantry(UK) poses will have one kneeling firing and the other advancing with rifle at trail.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2019, 09:17:09 PM »
Oh fancy that! I'll keep an eye out for the Pickelhaube packs!  :o

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2019, 08:07:56 PM »
Something that only rarely gets any attention are Hqs vignettes.  At this scale perhaps something depicting a battalion-level Hqs.   

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2019, 08:37:13 PM »
Something that only rarely gets any attention are Hqs vignettes.  At this scale perhaps something depicting a battalion-level Hqs.

Good idea :) Something like the Great war command poses?

What do you think about enthusiastic poses depicting the strained relationship between early war British and French command arguing?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 08:40:41 PM by Gribb »

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2019, 10:38:14 PM »
Hrm, I wouldn't mind a british Officer shouting banter or wildly gesturing. Uhlans could maybe also work, seeing as the poses -that- are around all look a bit chunky in my opinion.

Where would your figures be available, Gribb?

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2019, 04:58:20 PM »
Hrm, I wouldn't mind a british Officer shouting banter or wildly gesturing. Uhlans could maybe also work, seeing as the poses -that- are around all look a bit chunky in my opinion.

Where would your figures be available, Gribb?

A British officer shouting banter or wildly gesturing should add some character, noted ;)
Agreed. Uhlans are coming along the way. First the mounted Hussars will be released, then are plans for dismounted skirmishers. There are plans for both Uhlans and Cuirassiers to follow these afterwards.

The range is available here:
https://www.stevebarbermodels.com/107--world-war-one

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2019, 09:04:52 PM »
A British officer arguing with a French one (perhaps with an exasperated junior officer consulting a map while his seniors argue) could be interesting.