Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:07:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: FAD v6 (ish) - Free sci-fi wargames rules  (Read 1817 times)

Offline psychomo

• Assistant
    • Forest of Dean Gamers
FAD v6 (ish) - Free sci-fi wargames rules
« on: December 10, 2018, 10:49:32 PM »
Hi all,

I am sure some of you know of and have played FAD (Fast And Dirty), written by Ivan Sorenson and mad available for free online.

I have been meaning to post this for some time, but sometimes life gets in the way!

Long story short, Ivan has handed the reigns for FAD over to me, I created a new site for the rules last year, but didn't really get a chance to promote it!

The new site is located at: https://fadwargame.com/

If you want to view a print friendly version of the rules, you can see them at: https://fadwargame.com/sci-fi-wargames-rules/all (these can be printed as a PDF using chrome).

In this version I have made quite a few modifications based on a lot of play testing, all with the intention of streamlining the rules and fixing some issues that we found.

I have already created quite a few pre-written army lists here: https://fadwargame.com/official-army-lists/ Hopefully this will make it a little quicker to get into playing a game!

All feedback is greatly appreciated, hopefully some people here will have some fun!

Mo

Checkout the online database of miniatures manufacturers at:
http://tabletop-gaming-directory.com/

Offline elthamare

• Schoolboy
Re: FAD v6 (ish) - Free sci-fi wargames rules
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 06:15:19 PM »
I've proposed your website as the official site for F.A.D. on boardgamegeek, hope it helps promoting the game  :)

Offline psychomo

• Assistant
    • Forest of Dean Gamers
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 06:18:12 PM »
Cool, cheers elthamare!

Do I need to do anything to up-vote the site on boardgamegeek? Or is this something their moderators will sort out (I don't boardgamegeek that much)?

Offline elthamare

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 12:27:19 AM »
It has been approved, so it's already showing on the game's profile.

About the rules:
  • The section about Quality Tests should be earlier in the rules. It's mentioned a couple times and can be a little confusing.
  • When shooting, a squad could have only some members in cover. How many Fire Effect points are needed to hit?

Thank you for keeping this game alive  :)

Offline psychomo

• Assistant
    • Forest of Dean Gamers
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 10:29:30 AM »
About the rules:
  • The section about Quality Tests should be earlier in the rules. It's mentioned a couple times and can be a little confusing.
  • When shooting, a squad could have only some members in cover. How many Fire Effect points are needed to hit?

1. I agree about the section on quality tests, at the time of editing/amalgamating/updating the rules to their current state I was unable to think of a way of adding section earlier in a way that read OK. I have a list of things I need to go back and update so I will add this too it

2. RE shooting in cover. I normally only assume a squad is in cover if at least 50% of the squad is in cover. I have generally found that is a quick, simple way of managing squads in cover without too much faffing about. I thought I had written that into the rules, but on closer inspection it appears I haven't :-o

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 11:00:37 AM »
It looks good on a quick read through will explore more as will be ideal for ww3 plans :D

Offline psychomo

• Assistant
    • Forest of Dean Gamers
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 11:45:56 AM »
It looks good on a quick read through will explore more as will be ideal for ww3 plans :D

You should be able to handle near future/ww3 games with the basic rules and maybe a handful of advanced rules (http://fadwargame.com/sci-fi-wargames-rules/advanced-rules/).

Offline elthamare

• Schoolboy
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 01:58:35 PM »
1. I agree about the section on quality tests, at the time of editing/amalgamating/updating the rules to their current state I was unable to think of a way of adding section earlier in a way that read OK. I have a list of things I need to go back and update so I will add this too it

2. RE shooting in cover. I normally only assume a squad is in cover if at least 50% of the squad is in cover. I have generally found that is a quick, simple way of managing squads in cover without too much faffing about. I thought I had written that into the rules, but on closer inspection it appears I haven't :-o

Thanks for answering.

There are some rules about wounded soldiers that doesn't seem to apply to some optional rules (e.g.: simplified hits), and I think it was written on the rules v5. It's something that can easily homeruled though.

Keep the great work!

Offline psychomo

• Assistant
    • Forest of Dean Gamers
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 04:16:47 PM »
Just a quick update to say that last week I pushed a couple of quick updates:

1. I moved the rules for Quality Tests closer to the start of the basic rules chapter (before any reference to it). Re-reading it here, I don't think it actually is as bad as I remember.

2. I also added clarification about what constitutes being "in cover" for a unit.

elthamare, I know what you mean about the recover wounded rules. To be honest, I only use them on smaller games (with maybe a couple of squads of troops and a commander/hero). I generally find once you add in vehicles and more troops I always just forget to do the recover wounded test. I think (as you say) it is one of those instances where if the rules conflict use common sense or homerule :-)