Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:40:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry plastic mounted HYW knights up for pre-order (bit of a review, P.4)  (Read 13098 times)

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
Re: Perry plastic mounted HYW knights up for pre-order
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 06:49:44 PM »
Wonderful news.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 10:14:27 PM »
Am I the only one who doesn't like the look of caparisoned horses? So I'm perfectly happy with these as they are.

I would only be using them for persons of rank. The overwhelming contemporary visual evidence for the 15th Century shows horses without barding or caparison. With perhaps one actual knight per hundred other men, less is more.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 10:17:31 PM »
These are very tempting. But not quite sure what I need them for. I'm sure I'll find a way to shoe-horn them into a project...

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 11:51:18 PM »
Huzza! Just a shame they couldn't get them out for Christmas as I know for the first time my hoards of grown up children have bought me what I asked for Perry's WOTR boxes, these would have been the icing on the cake. Something to look forward to buying in January  :-* :-* :-*
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 05:52:49 AM »
I'm paused working on the Crecy war, with dozens of mounted knights to paint, while I paint Wars of the Roses as part of a club project. Meanwhile, now I want to split the difference and do Agincourt!  :-* I'll need to get out my recent Claymore Castings order to retain my focus.  :D

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2018, 08:41:41 AM »
7th january is my name day, seems like the perfect present   :-*

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2018, 01:53:16 PM »
We need to organise a swap-shop to trade light-horse for heavy-horse components...

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2018, 09:43:55 PM »
I notice Fireforge also sell their caparisoned horses in packs of four horses in any case. Hopefully a bit of knife work will render them compatible with the Perry riders, possibly even their horse heads.

Unhistorical maybe, but hey.  :)

I think that its way better to sculpt a caparison on a perry horse. Fireforge horses have some annoying anatomy problems. Especially the heads are pretty bad.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2018, 11:46:28 AM »
Unless you're dead set on eking out every possible figure from every box, you can use Perry horse heads. 15th Century caparisons appear not to have covered neck and head, so a normal one or one of the new heads with a chamfron etc, can replace the Fireforge ones.

Whether that will be more trouble than adding your own caparison is certainly debateable though.

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2018, 06:21:17 PM »
Would it be feasible to make a decent looking cloth caparison using paper soaked in diluted PVA glue?

Offline henryv

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2018, 08:02:53 PM »
They look rather good, but then they are Perry, can't wait.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2018, 09:30:45 PM »
I have many more HYW figures than I need for the project I have planned, and yet I know I will be buying a box of these and no doubt some extra horses to make sure I can use the whole box... 

Oh well, I suppose I ought to get those handgunners and the casualty sets while I'm at it...  ::)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2018, 11:44:05 PM »
Would it be feasible to make a decent looking cloth caparison using paper soaked in diluted PVA glue?

I would say no. But its very doable using a mix of greenstuff plus milliput or any other hard putty. Roll it out with the handle of an x acto knife, using water, wait for about 15 min, and then start applying it on the horse. You just have to get the general form right. Then let it set and add small cones of putty that will be pushed pulled to form the wrinkles of the fabric.
I did it from the first go, without seeing any tutorials etc, so anyone can do it.

https://pin.it/pmaovnvdlqc3bi
https://pin.it/2qsbioyrzngt5u
https://pin.it/ke6gccm6z5k7i3
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 11:50:57 PM by Captain Harlock »

Offline jauntyharrison

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2018, 09:13:22 PM »
Probably my favorite perry set yet! I hope the perries can single handedly propel HYW stuff to become a more popular period for skirmishes and big wargames. I'm also happy to see that if you're careful about which neck protection you pick, you can push back the time period of these by a couple decades. Not all the way to Poitiers perhaps, but at least back to Shrewsbury and Najera.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2018, 10:47:23 AM »
Good to see these out and looking so nice.  My Christmas reading is Sumption’s 4th volume on the 100YW which is packed with scenario ideas so I foresee a box or three of these in my immediate future  :)
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)