Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:24:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 689
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for Rules Recommendation  (Read 5722 times)

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Looking for Rules Recommendation
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 11:27:26 PM »
spect_spidey: "I saw a bit on a game called Tombstone, but I am not sure if that is even out yet."

Tombstone is out - published by Black Scorpion.

https://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=340&osCsid=9oedau5p30iaj6r8a2gs994up0

I have it, but I have not played it yet or done much more than glanced at it (sorry).  I can tell you the characters have attributes with different dice assigned (d6 seems to be the standard).  It has a campaign system so surviving members of your faction can improve, and there are special skills that can be acquired as characters gain experience.

-Michael

Offline Slorm

• Bookworm
    • El Rincón de Slorm
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 12:48:53 PM »
Another vote for Fistful of Lead: Easy and fast, but plenty of strategy

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 02:22:33 PM »
I appreciate all the responses I have received so far. I am still undecided on a rules set. Here are my current thoughts on some of the front runners.

Tombstone - I like the idea that every exchange seems to be opposed rolls. I like stats being different dice types. It having a campaign system is a plus. The minis look nice though I am not a fan of resin. I see possibilities here. I just would like to know more and wonder how long it would take to memorize the hit and wound charts. It also has a bit of horror element that can be thrown in.

Gunfighter's Ball - Percentile system that makes use of charts for hitting and wounding. It doesn't seem to have a campaign system or any difference between the characters used. The minis seem adequate, but not very inspiring. I might use some minis for filler because they are cheap, but I don't think the rules work for me from what I have seen.

Fistful of Lead - I haven't seen much on this one outside of this topic. The game doesn't have a mini line. I don't know if it has a campaign system or many options for character creation. It appears to use some card system for initiative with certain cards representing free actions?

Dead Man's Hand - The books seem a bit pricey for the size. I think they would need to be packed with content in those 44 pages to warrant the price. I wish there was a PDF option. The card mechanic seems interesting. I couldn't find many details on the campaign system and whether characters can gain additional abilities. It has horror elements that can be added which is a plus for me. I like the three act scenario kind of play. It makes it seem very cinematic. The minis look decent, but I am not a fan of the sculpted to the mini bases.

Blackwater Gulch - The system seems alright, but the free rules I could view on their website seemed a little unclear. Character creation could use some specifics. The miniatures are aesthetically pleasing. I actually ordered some and I am waiting on their arrival. I can't tell how much of a campaign system it has or what types of scenarios it has. I do like the horror aspects that I am seeing for the game.

Pulp Alley - I already have the rules and I am familiar with the system. It has a great campaign system, horror, and solo play. It will need a few tweaks to make it feel like a western.

Is there anything that people can add to this? Any of them besides Pulp Alley have a solo play system?

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2018, 02:31:41 PM »
I'm amazed you haven't seen much of fistful of Lead as there are loads of threads across the LAF, especially with the sci-fi version now out. It doesn't have a miniature line because it is intended to be used with whatever you have. For example, I use Artizan in the main, with a few Dixon townsfolk and the odd Foundry for my games of FfoL.

The campaign system is simple and straightforward, allowing you to develop your gang as you see fit by adding traits, etc.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 02:38:47 PM »
While I am yet to play it, I would imagine Osprey's Dracula's America meets most, if not all, of your criteria. It is admittedly, as the name implies, supernaturally-themed, but I understand those elements can be readily ignored if required.

Another advocate for Dracula America. A heavy emphasis on the pulpy horror side of things but serviceable as a pure Western game. And the campaign rules are really good.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2018, 03:43:25 PM »
Another set worth a look is Gutshot. It is a little more detailed than some of those listed, and isn't intended for solo play (though you could do so without much trouble), but it's a great system and plays very fast. It is also, by far, the most fun to read of any Western set I've seen - it has a contagious enthusiasm for the era that is a lot of fun, and most inspiring. A few more thoughts:

1.) Figure count in this game is slightly smaller than some of the others mentioned; probably no more than 3-4 per player. With some houserules you could easily create mooks, though, who die fast and easy - in case Magnificent Seven calls.

2.) There is no dedicated figure line. Use what you want!

3.) Available here: http://www.hawgleg.com/

4.) I have no affiliation with them. Jest sayin'.

5.) The authors are Texans, which should count for something.

Anyway, not to detract for a second from any of the other rules (FfoL is excellent - though not suitable for solo play), but take a peek at Gutshot. The inspiration alone is worth the price of admission in my humble opinion.

*  One last thought: have you ever taken a look at Deadlands? Or its offshoot, Savage Worlds? The second isn't a dedicated Western set, but the rules engine is superb and could easily handle Wild West action.

So there you go!  :)

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2018, 03:09:24 PM »
*  One last thought: have you ever taken a look at Deadlands? Or its offshoot, Savage Worlds? The second isn't a dedicated Western set, but the rules engine is superb and could easily handle Wild West action.

So there you go!  :)

I ran Deadlands for a long time back in its heyday. I have Savage Worlds and I have tried to run it a time or two. It just doesn't click with me. If I had to be honest, I prefer the old Deadlands system to Savage Worlds.

This topic is mainly to see if there is any reason to bother to look for a Wild West specific set of rules rather than just using Pulp Alley as written. I really like the flexibility of Pulp Alley. I was wondering though if there was a set of rules that might do Wild West better. So far, I am not sure if there is much of an advantage for me to use a Wild West specific set of rules. Each seems to have its merits, but none seem to blow me away like Pulp Alley did when I first found it.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2018, 02:22:24 AM »
Pdf for Fistful of Lead is $6. Worth a look.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2018, 12:03:38 PM »
spect_spidey wrote:
Dead Man's Hand - The books seem a bit pricey for the size. I think they would need to be packed with content in those 44 pages to warrant the price. I wish there was a PDF option. The card mechanic seems interesting. I couldn't find many details on the campaign system and whether characters can gain additional abilities. It has horror elements that can be added which is a plus for me. I like the three act scenario kind of play. It makes it seem very cinematic. The minis look decent, but I am not a fan of the sculpted to the mini bases.

The books come with a deck of cards, which partly accounts for the price; they are pretty packed with content. You can also buy more cards. I think the original book has about 6 scenarios, each with 3 scenes, plus 4 factions. The Legend book has 4 more faction (plus cards for them), and a campaign system, which does indeed allow characters to gain new abilities. It also has some more scenarios. There's is also a horror supplement featuring undead and the like but I've not got that. I've not used their minis - I have plenty of Foundry and old West Wind minis.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2018, 04:17:25 AM »
Another vote for Fistful of Lead.  Fun and easy to get the hang of.  The new version of Six Gun Sound seems interesting, but is designed more for solo play.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2018, 06:27:42 PM »
For what it may be worth, my copy of Six Gun Sound: Devil's Elbow arrived today. There's plenty of content, including paper miniatures, and it looks a bit more involved than I imagined, but I'm looking forward to trying it. I hope it works as well in solo play as claimed.

Now I'm intrigued by Gutshot, but have held off clicking on the link so far.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 04:34:58 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2018, 12:07:52 AM »
I have a copy of Dracula's America coming from Amazon since we had some credit on our account. I shall see how it goes. But I am still trying to make a decision. Right now it looks like Gunfighter's Ball is in front based upon the the variety of minis, ease of access to said minis, and a physical rulebook. However I did come across another set of rules for a game called Shoot N'Skedaddle. It can be found at http://shootnskedaddle.blogspot.com/
I kind of like it's character card concept and the use of the different polyhedral dice. I just need to read the rulebook entirely to get a feel for it.

I know several people have mentioned Fist Full of Lead, but it just doesn't seem to grab me with the details I have found about it.

Offline hentzau

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2019, 05:14:27 PM »
I’ve moved from Legends of the Old West to DMH to Gunfighter’s Ball, which is now my preferred rules set.  GFB does not meet your criteria because it really doesn’t have a true campaign system built into the game.  It has an experience system, where characters can gain in experience by surviving and being on the winning side of a scenario.

Characters can be customized.  In the rule book, there are Abilities and Quirks that can be assigned to characters.  You can also use the Pistoleer deck to customize the characters in the same way, if you want to do it randomly.  Otherwise, the major differences are in how many actions you assign to the characters on a side.

And I’m going to have to disagree with the OP about the figures from Knuckleduster.  I’ve had figures from DMH, from reaper, from Old Glory, from Foundry, and (IMO) the figures from Knuckleduster are the best figures on the market today.

In closing, I have had more fun on a game by game basis with GFB than any other rules set I’ve tried.  But based on the criteria that you have laid out, you may be best served by trying to find copies of Legends of the Old West.  It ticks off most of the check marks you have laid out, but we found to it to be a bit dry.

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2019, 05:34:52 PM »
I’ve moved from Legends of the Old West to DMH to Gunfighter’s Ball, which is now my preferred rules set.  GFB does not meet your criteria because it really doesn’t have a true campaign system built into the game.  It has an experience system, where characters can gain in experience by surviving and being on the winning side of a scenario.

Characters can be customized.  In the rule book, there are Abilities and Quirks that can be assigned to characters.  You can also use the Pistoleer deck to customize the characters in the same way, if you want to do it randomly.  Otherwise, the major differences are in how many actions you assign to the characters on a side.

And I’m going to have to disagree with the OP about the figures from Knuckleduster.  I’ve had figures from DMH, from reaper, from Old Glory, from Foundry, and (IMO) the figures from Knuckleduster are the best figures on the market today.

In closing, I have had more fun on a game by game basis with GFB than any other rules set I’ve tried.  But based on the criteria that you have laid out, you may be best served by trying to find copies of Legends of the Old West.  It ticks off most of the check marks you have laid out, but we found to it to be a bit dry.

Thank you for the informative response. The lack of a campaign may not be as big of an issue with GFB knowing that there is the pistolier deck and abilities in the game itself. Most campaigns don't seem to last past 6 to 8 games anyways so I could just allow anyone who survives make a test to see if they get a new ability or card draw from the pistolier deck. The GFB minis have grown a bit on me. I bought a faction pack for them off eBay. I shall have a better formed opinion of them once they arrive. I generally am not a fan of metal minis, but GFB minis seem to be one piece. I don't have much luck with multi-part metal minis. For some reason I have problems with getting the super glue to set on them. It seems to be inconsistent. One time they will adhere with no issues. The next may take several minutes of me holding the pieces together only for them to fall apart once I release them.

After receiving some of the Blackwater Gulch minis, I have kind of eliminated them. They were multi-part metal. They were a pain in my rear to assemble and they seemed smaller than most 28mm minis. The pictures made them look heroic scale, but they seem smaller than Reaper ones I own and seem to be more in size with Pulp Alley minis. That is kind of a plus for use in that game, but seems to make them not compatible with the likes of GFB, DMH, or Dracula's America minis.

I should have my Dracula's America book tomorrow so I can see how that relates for my supernatural/campaign needs. I would assume that if GFB minis are compatible with DMH and Artizan minis, then there shouldn't be any issue with adding Dracula's America minis or possibly some Reaper Deadlands minis into the mix.

Sorry for the long response. Thanks again to everyone who has made suggestions so far. May everyone have a Happy New Year!!

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2019, 04:55:16 PM »
I think you'll find the Knuckleduster / GFB figures excellent. The only gluing required is to the slotted bases, at least on the ones I have.

As regards your general misfortunes with superglue, it may be in part a result of the specific product you've used, but it seems more likely that the bond would be strengthened with baking soda or Deluxe Materials' Roket (sic) Powder. An accelerator might also help, particularly if the time taken for the glue to set is your main concern, though I'm not personally accustomed to using these, so cannot say for sure. Supporting the pieces with Blu Tak or similar while the glue sets, if feasible, can also be beneficial. Unfortunately, it is usually rather fiddly work.

Alternatively a two part epoxy might give better results, but is only really feasible on larger pieces - for joining an arm to torso, or hand to arm, for example, it is rather wasteful. In my experience, J-B Weld seems to live up to its claim of being the "world's strongest bond", at least with metal parts - it includes steel in its ingredients - but it is very slow setting.