Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 09:58:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685082
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting Blue Moon Boxer Rebellion Buildings/WIP (Jan. 28: British legation)  (Read 8948 times)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
The British legation compound is the last of my five legation compounds sold by Blue Moon.  It is by far the largest and is unique in that several of the buildings and the main gate are bunkered up.  This is due to the fact that the British legation was the main point of defense in the siege because it was the largest compound, could house the most people in a single compound, and it was not directly under the Tartar Wall and thus not subject to direct fire from above as was the case with the US legation.  Because the main building was bunkered up, I elected to use an old Ian Weekley building as the main building in my pre-siege version of this compound.  I purchased a second Blue Moon blockhouse-style building and modified it (carved out the sandbags and bricks from the windows for my pre-siege version), and I scratch-built the main gate using Legos covered with Evergreen plastic.  Because of the size and all of the turns in the walls, the British legation was by far the most difficult scratch-build task of all the pre-siege compounds I did.  A few slight mismeasurements or poor cuts could throw the whole thing out of alignment.  There is a sixth Blue Moon legation compound that can be purchased in component parts… main building and individual wall sections.  While I did not elect to have a sixth legation compound (identified by Blue Moon as the Austrian legation), I did use the sixth legation’s main building as my Hotel de Peking.  I did not buy and paint all of the buildings made by Blue Moon for their Boxer Rebellion range, but the vast majority of them are represented in this thread.  I hope that some of you who decide to undertake the Boxer Rebellion/55 Days at Peking using the Blue Moon range of buildings will find some value in what I have posted here.  In doing this project I wish I had been able to find pictures of what others had done… alas that was not the case.  With this compound complete, the Tartar Wall constructed, and more than 900 figures painted, I have only some odds and ends to finish before this collection is ready to be photographed in diorama layout form.  I plan to have that done before the end of February.  There will be lots of pictures.  If you haven’t seen the results of my finished diorama-style layouts before, there are 21different collections in diorama galleries (both 15mm and 28mm) on my vanity website that can be seen at www.warin15mm.comIMG_2362 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2363 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Once again I - as I suppose all of us are - am in awe at your rate of production, Richard.  And to re-create all five legations in a variant form is unaccountable in dedication and perseverance.  To heck with a tip of my hat, I feel obliged to eat it.  (okay, I draw some lines!  lol

Perhaps you did not get to see others done before you but sometimes there is merit in being the leading pioneer.  There will be photos of the works of others for you to see - of the Blue Moon items.  Though mine will look rather a lot different than yours in my anticipation.  But, as you pointed out, once I get brush to resin, perhaps I'll change my mind.

Hope the various collections of the Boxer Rebellion others have posted were at least of some help to you - though mostly those were scratch built items by necessity.  Before the Blue Moon Extravaganza release, there were no alternate options in 15 mm worth speaking of.

The British legation looks great.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 01:13:31 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
Superb

Offline leadboy

• Librarian
Lovely stuff, and looking forward to the "complete collection" photographs. Couple of points. I seem to remember that the British Legation was also important, quite apart from the factors you mention, because it had a source of water within the walls. I can't specifically remember, but I presume that this must have been some kind of well. More importantly, the British Legation also had a "Bell Tower" - a kind of Chinese Pagoda with a large bronze bell within - which functioned as a vital "notice board" during the Seige, not only for the British but for all of the defenders. And then there was a cemetery within the walls, too, for the poor unfortunates killed during the siege, including at least one of the "Student Interpreters". I could dig out some photos, I think, if you're not already completely familiar with all of the above!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
FifteensAway, I always appreciate your generous comments.  I should also mention that your comment about the canal colors has been working on me.  I have enough plastic to do two canals that are 7 ft in length.  I will paint both with my Testers' Dark Blue/Bright Blue combination... my go-to combo when painting water, but one of the two I will dry brush with a mix of Vallejo Andrea Blue and Brown Violet (a dark olive drab).  I used that as the color for my sewer water in my 28mm Gangster Gallery... we'll see.

smirnoff, thanks so much for taking the time to send along the very kind word... doesn't get much better than superb.  Much appreciated.

leadboy, to be quite honest after more than six months of working on this project I'm looking forward to seeing the photographs of the complete collection in layout form myself.  Let me be very open about the fact that in putting this layout together there are several controlling factors that trump history and facts.  One of those is the size of my tables.  For years I have used two 5 ft. by 7 ft. tables for all of my big layouts.  In terms of the legation area in this collection, that means I will have to do my best to represent as closely as I can the relationships of the key locations, but that will be far from perfect.  I will be using both tables, but each table will represent a different phase (pre-siege and siege) not different locations in the legation area.  A second controlling factor has to do with the fact that having looked at many photos for this project, I have seen only a limited number that reflect the interiors of the different compounds and many that show the main entrances, and have read only one reference to the color of any of the legations, and that reference stated that the tile used by the British was green.  Your mention of the bell sounds like something I have read or perhaps saw in the movie, but Blue Moon didn't make a structure identified as such, and I don't believe I've seen a photo.  Quite honestly, after 2 months devoted to building the pre-siege version of the five legation walls and associated small buildings I am drained of any interest in further significant scratch building for this project.  All in all this will be far from historically perfect, but if it works out as planned I think it will offer a nice feel for the events.  As FifteensAway said, Blue Moon has produced a remarkable range of structures for their Boxer Rebellion line, and I hope to make the most of what they have provided.  Thanks so much for writing.  I really appreciate your interest.  Hope I won't disappoint.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 03:02:53 PM by War In 15MM »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Richard, one question and one comment.  First the comment, on the barricades on your weekly workbench - a lot of the material was silk and the like and from accounts rather colorful.  Nothing wrong with what you've done but any reason for not going more colorful.  And then the coach, can you recall further details as to its origin?  I'd like to add one or more to my Old West set up - at least for my most urban town.  And maybe use as a basis for some kit bashing.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
FifteensAway, I did the Blue Moon barricades as I did because lacking any clear reference options I went with simple.  As to the carriage, years ago Old Glory 15s Napoleonic packs were large... about 100 figures.  Old Glory 15s made three packs of French Marshals.  The carriage is included in one of those representing Massena at Wagram.  I think it was the French Marshal pack #3... it's been decades.  Priester also makes an HO open carriage (or did once), and was unique in that it came in a painted or unpainted options (or did once).  I believe it was called a marriage carriage.  Richard
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:31:53 AM by War In 15MM »

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Wow, absolutely impressive, and inspiring!!!

Dan

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Don't know if I've noted this here or not but the Jordan range of figures may be no more.  The man himself passed on and someone stated they thought he'd requested the molds be destroyed after he was gone.  Hope not but his right to have it done if he so wished.  So, if you see one, want it, can afford it - buy it.  You may never see it again.

edit: Oh, no!  I might upset Richard with this.  Sir, are you aware that Presier makes an HO set, 20383, of six dromedary camels?  Those would be the two hump variety (double Wednesday?  ::)).  I know you have some camels with one hump for your Boxer setup.  But the photos I've seen show two humped camels as the beasts of burden - or just roaming about.  Just thought you should know this.  No, no, this is not a ploy to slow you down so I can catch up, never crossed my mind, besides, you are way too fast for that.  Just a thought. 

What, who, me, evil?  Not very often.   lol
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:49:33 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Dan, thanks so much for taking the time to write and for the generous words.  Much appreciated.

FifteensAway, not only should the camels be two humps, but brown and furry.  But I have the ones I have and my local train shop doesn't have the ones you mention... and they usually have it all, so I'll just live with what I have.  That said, it will be several weeks before we take pictures... the rain is slowing the process so maybe.  And evil never crossed my mind.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
FifteensAway, you cost me 19 bucks.  I found the Prieser bactrian two hump camels, and will have them posted on my Weekly Workbench on Sunday.  Actually, I'm pretty happy about getting them.  I put the single hump camels where they belong... with my Sudan collection.  Richard

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Well, perhaps one day I can stand you a drink.  And with any luck it will be while waiting to board the Jungle Cruise at Disney!  And congrats on the find.  I'll have to dig mine out of their closet at some point - at least I know where they are, or should be. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 06:57:00 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Until that time...

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Richard, Richard, Richard, "fingers drumming methodically on table", "foot tapping industriously and noise-fully and monotonously".  I...we've...been waiting, waiting, waiting.  Where is our gallery, sir? 

And ply me not with my own lack of progress, sirrah.  This is about you making us wait, fellah!   :D

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
Richard, Richard, Richard, "fingers drumming methodically on table", "foot tapping industriously and noise-fully and monotonously".  I...we've...been waiting, waiting, waiting.  Where is our gallery, sir? 

And ply me not with my own lack of progress, sirrah.  This is about you making us wait, fellah!   :D

I am sure Richard will show us his own gallery soon. But, fifteensaway, what about your own progress sir ?  ;)