Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:46:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690457
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Perry minis US plastic  (Read 5165 times)

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
Re: New Perry minis US plastic
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 06:35:15 AM »
While great for WW2 I'm thinking Korean War too, possibly even early Vietnam?
Definitely. Who cares if a few details are wrong.
An American is an American

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 07:38:39 AM »
I was mainly looking at the weapons, which should be good until early vietnam war, at least for some units. I hadnt given much thought to the uniforms. Doh!.

Did the uniform see use with other nations armies after WWII?

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 08:22:36 AM »

I think the difference between the M41 uniform (as worn by these Perry figures) and the M43 uniform (worn by the US forces in late WWII and post-war) is noticeable enough, with the biggest visual difference being the lenght of the jacket, which reaches much lower on the M43 uniform (and probably makes it much more convenient to the wearer during the colder months). For those interested in plastic figures with the M43 uniform, Wargames Factory released a set several years ago - though I have no idea how many retailers still have those in stock.

As for weapons, the Perry kit would of course be fine for Korea, though it does not include M2 carbine and the bazooka is 2.35" inch version that replaced with 3.5" model quite early during the Korean war. Also recoilless rifles that would be available in Korea only saw limited use by US forces in very late WWII.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 10:57:27 AM »
The other major difference is that the 1943 uniform replaced shoes and spats with the combat boot.

Who cares if a few details are wrong.

The only constant is that it's the same helmet. You might just as well use modern U.S. figures for WWII on the basis that an 'American is an American'.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:07:22 AM by Arlequín »

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 11:37:16 AM »
On the other hand, what about the post-WWII US national guard - is there a chance that some of those units would have been issued with surplus M41 uniforms in the late 40's and early 50's?

While the national guard would not get deployed overseas to Korea or Germany, they would likely get mobilised to defend the homeland from any threats making it to the US soil. As a good number of period movies will testify, in the early Cold War years US was under a constant threat from communist uprisings, hordes of giant ants, radioactive monsters from the Nevadan desert, zombie plagues, Canadian werewolves, deep ones, Mexican vampires and invading Martians.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 11:42:46 AM »

It's just a pity there's such a dearth of North Koreans and Chinese, though I'm sure WWII Japanese would do just as well.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2018, 05:41:35 PM »
On the other hand, what about the post-WWII US national guard - is there a chance that some of those units would have been issued with surplus M41 uniforms in the late 40's and early 50's?

There was a lot of resistance in Eisenhower's command to the new uniform and the old stock was exhausted by units in that command. Troops from Italy on the other hand embraced the new uniform, but by the end of the war pretty much everyone was in OG and boots.

Some Latin American countries retained it, Cuba for sure, but then they were wearing the Pre-1941 uniform, complete with 'Smokie the Bear' hats, quite late too.

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 07:39:15 PM »
It's just a pity there's such a dearth of North Koreans and Chinese, though I'm sure WWII Japanese would do just as well.
Slap a few Russians in for China as well. They seem to have padded jackets.
It does the job on a model 3 feet away barely over am inch tall.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2018, 09:19:54 PM »
Very nice looking figures.
Will be very interested as to their size.
Will they be the same as their 8th Army and Germans?
Semper Fi, Mac

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 09:22:28 PM »

I imagine they'll be a little larger to reflect North American eating habits: supersized portions = supersized figures. Possibly.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2018, 11:34:16 PM »

I’m sure they will be.

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2018, 09:14:23 AM »
I imagine they'll be a little larger to reflect North American eating habits: supersized portions = supersized figures. Possibly.

Supersized portions tends to be post-war phenomenon, back in the days of WWII things were a bit more spartan - especially during the depression years of the early 30's.

This probably means that these Perry figures will be too slim to pass for modern US WWII re-enactors...

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2018, 10:45:21 AM »
This probably means that these Perry figures will be too slim to pass for modern US WWII re-enactors...
Ouch  lol

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2018, 03:06:56 AM »

They're not fat, they're just "heroically scaled".  ;)

Offline jdp

• Assistant
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2018, 02:53:26 AM »
Thanks for sharing the preview, I have been anxiously awaiting these since the teaser three ups from last sping!  A very generous  box with the sure to be coming metal support units I, will finally  have the Americans to face off against my Perry Afrika Korps and Ramcke Brigade!