Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:01:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A game of 40k (so many pictures you will fall apart)  (Read 4789 times)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
A game of 40k (so many pictures you will fall apart)
« on: June 03, 2009, 04:35:20 PM »
Well.. I'm sure a lot of you will probably find this very uninteresting to put it politely. But as luck would have it I dug out my old 40k models and had a thoroughly enjoyable game of Warhammer 40.000 with two of my gaming buddies.

It was actually a really funny game. However - and I better stress this - it was not on part of the rules (current edition with relevant army books) but of course on part of the participants, the minis, the table, the beer, the pretzels and so on. In fact the whole deal is what makes a good game - not the rules.

There is quite a lot of photo evidence here:

Thorbjørn in the midst of deploying

Thorbjørn in a preemptive "I can't do anything about that!"

A small pond with Imperial Guardsmen

Khorne Berzerker delivery!

The chaotic lines on the march

Terminators doing the same

Overlook

My poor predator... this baby only managed to kill a single human trooper during the game. Rolling 1's and 2's doesn't help a lot. In fact bringing huge lascannons to fight infantry.. and nothing else is a bad idea!

Berzerkers at work in the trenches

Glory of Chaos

Glory of Chaos Too

A small demon prince is ready to get fed

We actually fought over objectives... at least the good guys did - chaos just went for utter carnage!

Trenchworking

"overlook"

Storm troppers try to ambush a land raider... but their meltagunner is unable to hit!

Roughriders trying to be heroes

The highly appraised Chaos commander

And his commanding officer (the demon) in the field

Torben smells victory

But so does chaos

company commander going "screw you I'm going home!" after a failed assault

"the empty battlefield"

Chaotic sportsmanship (notice the strange look on Torbens face)

Torben and Steen (now notice that look again! These good guys are rather peculiar)

The game was a blast although my Chaotic minions lost everything... I wasn't paying enough attention to the objectives.. oh well and my minions got slaughtered.. only my termies and other heavy stuff survived. All the grunts met the wrong end of a lasgun.

I'm busy setting up beastmen, minotaurs, bloodletters and other Khorne natiness for painting now! (and no- these don't have any rules anymore, but I don't give a #"=# about that kind of problems - we just make up something we like)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 04:37:56 PM by Thorbjørn Nielsen »
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Re: A game of 40k (so many pictures you will fall apart)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 04:47:07 PM »
Looks like a good game, how do you think the new rules play?

The battlefield does look rather open though, wouldn't it be better for the berserkers to go into the trenches as soon as possible? Nice trench table BTW and good to see some VOID models in there 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 04:53:35 PM »
Aha! Praetorians! I love those models.
Looks like a great game. I havn't got any of the new rule either, so it's no real problem.
Now I want a game of 40k...
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 06:36:40 PM »
Well.. I'm sure a lot of you will probably find this very uninteresting to put it politely.

Why shouldn´t we allow for it? You had painted figures, a nice table, and fun during the game, which usually is two aspects more than most 40k games I witness here in Germany seem to provide.

I also like that you use whatever figures tickle your fancy (rough riders etc.).

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 06:45:24 PM »
Good looking table, there. How did you do the table? Is it foam that you cut into?
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 07:01:58 PM »
Nice report, thank you. I love the Praetorians in their little boat.  lol

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 08:40:14 PM »
Looks like a good game, how do you think the new rules play?

The battlefield does look rather open though, wouldn't it be better for the berserkers to go into the trenches as soon as possible? Nice trench table BTW and good to see some VOID models in there 8)

Well.. to be frank I don't know what to answer. I guess I class rules like this:

1. Some rules ensure that a game works even if people try to break it.. in short you can have a "fair" game with these rules even if people behave like idiots.

2. Other rules allow you to have fun with good people even though the rules themselves have obvious shortcomings and will call for your own judgment of some situations.

All the games I play fall into category 2. So does 40k. What's strange about 40k though is that people tend to forget this and try playing it like it was a category 1 game. That sucks.

In our game something absurd happened. My fearless chaos lord was with a unit that fled. According to the rules the chaos lord should now also flee... even though only 1 man was left of the unit. Considering that the lord was a psychotic and fearless worshipper of Khorne we ruled that instead he decapitated the coward and went on to slay some more.

With an attitude like this, rules will always work for you. ;D

The battlefield was quite open if you were not in a trench. That was entirely deliberate too, as we wanted the trenches to be of some use. The land raider transport vehicle is nigh impenetrable and offers great comfort to anyone riding in it.

Why shouldn´t we allow for it? You had painted figures, a nice table, and fun during the game, which usually is two aspects more than most 40k games I witness here in Germany seem to provide.
I also like that you use whatever figures tickle your fancy (rough riders etc.).

You are quite right. I do think that people tend to like a bit of GW hating every now and then though ;D

Good looking table, there. How did you do the table? Is it foam that you cut into?

I cannot take credit for the hard labour myself. Steen has made it all from various DIY articles from the local hardware store. I believe foam and concrete nails takes up a lot of it.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 09:51:09 PM »
Nice one, Thorbjørn. I wouldn't be afraid of posting GW battle reports here, you know LAFers are an easy-going bunch who just like cool pictures of fun games.

Personally I am perfectly capable of the Orwellian doublethink required to both love and hate Games Workshop at the same time.  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 03:35:59 AM »
Nice one, Thorbjørn. I wouldn't be afraid of posting GW battle reports here, you know LAFers are an easy-going bunch who just like cool pictures of fun games.

Personally I am perfectly capable of the Orwellian doublethink required to both love and hate Games Workshop at the same time.  :)

Half of us started out with GW. We wouldn't be here otherwise. :) Good looking game!

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 07:25:49 AM »
Well.. to be frank I don't know what to answer. I guess I class rules like this:

1. Some rules ensure that a game works even if people try to break it.. in short you can have a "fair" game with these rules even if people behave like idiots.

2. Other rules allow you to have fun with good people even though the rules themselves have obvious shortcomings and will call for your own judgment of some situations.

All the games I play fall into category 2. So does 40k. What's strange about 40k though is that people tend to forget this and try playing it like it was a category 1 game. That sucks.

In our game something absurd happened. My fearless chaos lord was with a unit that fled. According to the rules the chaos lord should now also flee... even though only 1 man was left of the unit. Considering that the lord was a psychotic and fearless worshipper of Khorne we ruled that instead he decapitated the coward and went on to slay some more.

With an attitude like this, rules will always work for you. ;D

Sounds sensible and like a lot of fun 8)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 09:50:53 AM »

Half of us started out with GW. We wouldn't be here otherwise. :) Good looking game!

Great looking game.
We are in the middle of playing a 40K game using the new rules. Ran out of time the first day we played. I would not have thought of posting pictures of it here. You are very brave but I suppose what Plynkes and chairface says is true.

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 03:24:31 PM »
Great game reports :)  Thanks for sharing.  All those models and terrain are just the bees knees :D